What's the average age of guests on Solstice and a few more questions?

wakab0y

Hi Guys,

Am thinking of booking our 3rd cruise for our family (40, 36, 15 and 9) on the Celebrity Solstice for 14 days. Was wondering what the average age of guests on Celebrity cruises generally are, and if there are many activities for kids and families to do? And if my kids and ourselves will meet other people our age or not. I've read a few reviews saying x cruises are generally suited for elderly peoples, however it looks like a nice ship to cruise on, and am interested to learn abit more before making a decision and commitment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by wakab0y
Did not articulate my question properly

Hi Guys,

Am thinking of booking our 3rd cruise for our family (40, 36, 15 and 9) on the Celebrity Solstice for 14 days. Was wondering what the average age of guests on Celebrity cruises generally are, and if there are many activities for kids and families to do? And if my kids and ourselves will meet other people our age or not. I've read a few reviews saying x cruises are generally suited for elderly peoples, however it looks like a nice ship to cruise on, and am interested to learn abit more before making a decision and commitment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of kids activities.

I’d say average probably around 40~50

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As easyboy, posted it is best to ask Cruise line/cruise ship specific questions on the cruise line boards. Often first time CC members don't realize there are boards for each cruise line.

Keith

Thanks, and yes am new here. Will do.

You will find older people on any cruise more than 7 days. Why? Because most people are working and cannot take more than a week at a time off from work. So on longer cruises there are more retired people who have the time for them.

Go to Roll Call here on the date you're thinking of cruising and ask how many kids, etc. are going on this cruise. You can also ask who are your age.

You could also think of taking a Back 2 Back cruise (B2B), with each cruise 7 days. You can usually find a ship that goes Eastern Caribbean one week and Western the next. That would be 14 days and have more kids. Just because its Celebrity, you will find older passengers and fewer kids. I don't remember seeing any kids on our Celebrity cruise!

Well, so far we have 3 people telling you to post elsewhere and only 2 actually helping, so I'll try to even it at 3. ;)

The truth is, on a 14 day Celebrity cruise, the average age on board will be considerably older than you. However, if it's back-to-back 7 night cruises, you'll see a lot more people closer to your age, and with kids.

Either way, your perception of the ship is spot on. Solstice is one of the most beautiful ships I've been on.

They do have a kids club and there are plenty of kids activities. The activities are nowhere near what they would find on RCI, NCL or Carnival though.

You will find older people on any cruise more than 7 days. Why? Because most people are working and cannot take more than a week at a time off from work. So on longer cruises there are more retired people who have the time for them.

Go to Roll Call here on the date you're thinking of cruising and ask how many kids, etc. are going on this cruise. You can also ask who are your age.

You could also think of taking a Back 2 Back cruise (B2B), with each cruise 7 days. You can usually find a ship that goes Eastern Caribbean one week and Western the next. That would be 14 days and have more kids. Just because its Celebrity, you will find older passengers and fewer kids. I don't remember seeing any kids on our Celebrity cruise!

Great advice, thanks for that. I'm just learning how to navigate the site which also makes me feel like i'm light years behind only getting on here now in 2017 :) thanks again.

Well, so far we have 3 people telling you to post elsewhere and only 2 actually helping, so I'll try to even it at 3. ;)

The truth is, on a 14 day Celebrity cruise, the average age on board will be considerably older than you. However, if it's back-to-back 7 night cruises, you'll see a lot more people closer to your age, and with kids.

Either way, your perception of the ship is spot on. Solstice is one of the most beautiful ships I've been on.

They do have a kids club and there are plenty of kids activities. The activities are nowhere near what they would find on RCI, NCL or Carnival though.

Thanks for evening up the odds ;p, and for sharing some truth. The carnival cruisers do look good, but it's along way for us kiwi's to travel first before boarding those liners. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. It's not looking good based on the feedback and comments i've reviewed and read so far. Thanks again.

Pretty much same...longer the cruise older the demographic on ANY cruise line. Celebrity is usually our first choice think more country club than Beach club. Our older grands 13-20)actually now prefer Celebrity and Viking. Kids programs are great and smaller groups. Agree you might want to look at B2B a great option. Enjoy whatever you choose and safe journeys

The other factor that comes to mind is the time of year. We've only ever been on one cruise so far and it was Celebrity over the winter holiday period and there were lots of kids. My kids were 14 and 8 at the time and while our 14 year old just hung out by the pool and read, our 8 yr old son occasionally participated in the kids club where there were plenty of kids to hang out with when he was in the mood. They both enjoyed the cruise and said they would go on a Celebrity cruise again. That said, my husband and I are going on our second cruise in several months, also on Celebrity, but it will be when school is in session. We don't expect there to be many kids on board.

As mentioned, Anything longer than a week, departs midweek and in general more expensive =older pax.

Had a 10 day Alaska cruise, was amazed at number of canes, crutches and wheelchairs at the cruise center. Our next hint was the giant pile [60-80] of oxygen tanks. The 13 seeing eye dogs is a story in itself.

Pretty much same...longer the cruise older the demographic on ANY cruise line. Celebrity is usually our first choice think more country club than Beach club. Our older grands 13-20)actually now prefer Celebrity and Viking. Kids programs are great and smaller groups. Agree you might want to look at B2B a great option. Enjoy whatever you choose and safe journeys

Thankyou.

The other factor that comes to mind is the time of year. We've only ever been on one cruise so far and it was Celebrity over the winter holiday period and there were lots of kids. My kids were 14 and 8 at the time and while our 14 year old just hung out by the pool and read, our 8 yr old son occasionally participated in the kids club where there were plenty of kids to hang out with when he was in the mood. They both enjoyed the cruise and said they would go on a Celebrity cruise again. That said, my husband and I are going on our second cruise in several months, also on Celebrity, but it will be when school is in session. We don't expect there to be many kids on board.

Thankyou. We like the ports on this particular x cruise we're looking at and time of year suits us too. Thanks again.

As mentioned, Anything longer than a week, departs midweek and in general more expensive =older pax.

Had a 10 day Alaska cruise, was amazed at number of canes, crutches and wheelchairs at the cruise center. Our next hint was the giant pile [60-80] of oxygen tanks. The 13 seeing eye dogs is a story in itself.

Bahahahaha ;p thanks for helping me raise my observation levels for my next one...I think lol !!!

The average age of passengers seems more related to the time of year and length of cruise....when it comes to most of the mass market lines (HAL is one glaring exception). So if you take a 7 day Celebrity cruise (of back to backs) during a school holiday...there will be plenty of other young families with their teens and kids. But if you take a real 14 day (not a back to back) during the school year....the passengers will be a lot older. A lot of this is common sense. Younger families cannot generally get 2 weeks off or work and school. But those of us who are retired will often take advantage of our freedom from work and kids....to take longer cruises/trips.

Hank

Bahahahaha ;p thanks for helping me raise my observation levels for my next one...I think lol !!!

I'm glad you find it amusing. One of our first cruises and I was in my 50's. One of our dinner companions had served with General MacArthur, WW2 and HAD RETIRED WHILE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL.

I'm glad you find it amusing. One of our first cruises and I was in my 50's. One of our dinner companions had served with General MacArthur, WW2 and HAD RETIRED WHILE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Sounds like he would have been a fascinating dinner companion. But consider our dilemma (am in my late 60s). My generation is used to socialization, actually having face-to-face conversations...without the need for texting and looking at our iPhones (or Androids), and have a lifetime of experience to draw upon when it comes to discussion topics. Then we get stuck with somebody in their 20s or 30s who has no clue how to talk (they spend their life texting), has no clue what WWII means, thinks Tom Brady is an old man, etc. So for us, it might actually be harder then for you :).

And by the way, I would love to have been at a table with somebody who served with MacArthur. My father-in-law served in the Pacific and his was stories were fascinating. On one cruise we sat with a widower (in his mid 90s) who served with General Patton and he entertained the entire table for about 2 hours. So perhaps you should count yourself lucky that you are able to get the time (and have the money) to cruise with us ole folks....and open your mind. Having spent far more then 1000 days on cruise ships we have learned that its not the age of our companions that matter, its whats between their ears.

Hank

Hank, Tom Brady is an old man. The NFL schedules his Sunday home games at 1pm so he can catch the early bird dinning specials in Foxborough.

The NHL is redoing Calgary's schedule too after they signed Jaromir Jagr (45) a couple of weeks ago. :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Celebrity might skew a little younger than Princess or Hollland America, but like everyone else has said, a 14 night cruise not in US school holidays will definitely be an older crowd--I'd say average age over 60.

There will be some kids and teens, but probably not that many. We were on a Panama Canal cruise with Princess that 8, yes, 8 teens and kids total--and a couple of them were babies. It was about 14 days in early December. We almost always do cruises of 14 days or more; this was the fewest kids we have ever had.

Your kids will probably still have a great time, but it will be different than the cruises with hundreds of kids--maybe better, who knows?