British Isles Dublin Shuttle ? (Royal Princess)

cruisequeen4ever

We were on the May 1st sailing of the Royal which docked at 2:30 PM on its first day in Dublin. The double deckers were on the pier when we arrived and more came in as the lines to get on them grew. It was a bit hectic on the first day as everyone wanted to get into the city ASAP. Since we did an overnight, the second day was much smoother. Return bus service was prompt.

Darcy

Our cruise has a Dublin docking time of 11 am. Based on your comments it may be better to have lunch on board and get off early afternoon. I hate crowds, especially if the queue is not well organized.

Are the double deckers provided by the cruise line? What is the fee? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our cruise has a Dublin docking time of 11 am. Based on your comments it may be better to have lunch on board and get off early afternoon. I hate crowds, especially if the queue is not well organized.

Are the double deckers provided by the cruise line? What is the fee? Thx!

Since this is an industrial port, the shuttle bus system is free. It is relatively well organized, and the queue moves quickly - but there the usual group of passengers who have a need to sit together on the shuttle, get on, then off and back on again. For those will mobility issues, the upper deck can be a tad difficult, so go for the lower level seating.

Don't miss the opportunity to have lunch/dinner in a Dublin pub. Some pubs was strictly beverage, Temple Bar was madness on the day we meandered through, Brazen Head oldest pub - was packed, and the one across the street had a so-so menu. We finally had a meal, and beverages, at a place called the Oak - very nice.

Darcy

Thx Darcy! Does this free shuttle drop you off downtown? We are either just going to walk around on our own or do HOHO bus.

And thx for meal recommendation. My husband will want to eat fish n chips all over the U.K. and Ireland!

Thx Darcy! Does this free shuttle drop you off downtown? We are either just going to walk around on our own or do HOHO bus.

And thx for meal recommendation. My husband will want to eat fish n chips all over the U.K. and Ireland!

We all had fish 'n chips at the Oak, nicely presented.

If you are in Southampton, walk toward the Old Town - Duke of Wellington, an historic old pub has fantastic fish 'n chips. DH said they were the best he's ever had and we're from New England and very seafood fussy.

The shuttle drops and picks up along Merrion Square, short walk toward Trinity College. We made the mistake of using the red HoHo bus, long wait times at each stop with the bus just sitting at the various stops, audio was awful, finally caught a cab to where we wanted to go.

Darcy

We arrive in Dublin at 530am as well, what time did the shuttle start on day 2? What about Belfast, free as well?

We didn't get onto the shuttles until about 8:30 on the second day, so I have no idea when they started. Many passengers were already off the ship and there was no line at that time.

In Belfast, we did a private tour for the day. If it's an industrial port, then the shuttles are free.

Darcy

Darcy, we are on the Royal British Isles next week. Thanks for the shuttle and pub info. Do you happen to know if there is shuttle in LeHavre? We are renting a car in town and wondering if we need a cab to get to Enterprise rental.

Darcy, we are on the Royal British Isles next week. Thanks for the shuttle and pub info. Do you happen to know if there is shuttle in LeHavre? We are renting a car in town and wondering if we need a cab to get to Enterprise rental.

Yes, there is a shuttle in Le Havre. It costs $8 one way, $16 round trip. It drops off at Place Perret.

The drop-off point for the free shuttle was Merrion Square. There were three different HoHo bus companies available--red, yellow, and green. The latter two have live commentary. The red ones used taped (or at least that's how they operated last year). Merrion Square is close enough to some of the major attractions that you could walk to them--Trinity College, Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin Castle. We did that our first day and opted for the yellow HoHo on our second.

We had fish and chips in Kinsale and Glasgow. The ones in Glasgow (at the café in the Kelvingrove Museum) were better.

Now that the first Dublin overnight cruise has returned, I hope someone will be able to answer my original question.

Since your cruise docks at 5:30 AM and past/future cruises have different arrival times, it's impossible to answer your question. Ours docked at 2:30PM, so can't help you......

Darcy

Yes, there is a shuttle in Le Havre. It costs $8 one way, $16 round trip. It drops off at Place Perret.

We were hoping to take a taxi to the beach, would we need to take the shuttle first? Thanks

Now that the first Dublin overnight cruise has returned, I hope someone will be able to answer my original question.

The shuttle ran from 8:00 am - 4:30pm. All aboard time was 5:15 pm. Hope that helps you!