New GDPR laws- It could affect your loyalty points and booking.

Thejuggler

The UK data protection laws are being changed from May 2018 and companies are reviewing their privacy and data protection policies.

We've just had the Princess magazine and we have to opt back in to their Captain's Circle Loyalty Programme before 21 May to continue to receive benefits.

The info states this opt in is for all Carnival cruise lines.

If we don't we will be removed from the loyalty scheme.

I am not aware if P&O customers have been contacted, but if you have lots of loyalty points ensure you opt in asap as the indication is you will lose them from 22 May 2018.

You may also lose any benefits applied to cruises already booked and departing after 1 August 2018 if you don't opt in before the deadline.

You can do the opt in online with Princess, so it should be similar with P&O.

Edited by Thejuggler

Thanks for the information but I assume you are referring to the P&O Peninsular Club which I am a member of.

I have just logged in and cannot see any references or requests to make any changes.

One would hope and I would assume that P&O have a duty to contact all its Peninsular Club members in a timely fashion of any future changes to its scheme.

Now when I think again it may have been for Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got my letter from Princess today. I think it is to do with the Captain's Circle Loyalty scheme. Previously P&O cruises counted for points on the Princess scheme. They no longer recognise P&O cruises as part of their points total, they do recognise P&O cruises taken before 12 December 2017 but only if you have also sailed on Princess cruises.

So the only people this should affect are those who have sailed on both Princess and P&O. These people should make sure that P&O and Princess share data otherwise when they book another Princess cruise their P&O cruising history might not be taken into consideration when calculating your loyalty tier status. If you are a previous Princess cruiser but not received a letter you can log into the Princess.com website and register your sharing preference which seems to be a sensible move to protect your cruising history and points. Any problems phone Carnival House Southampton.

Anyone who has sailed on P&O but not Princess even if they have sailed on many P&O cruises will be regarded as newcomers to the line whereas this was not previously the case.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I got my letter from Princess today. I think it is to do with the Captain's Circle Loyalty scheme. Previously P&O cruises counted for points on the Princess scheme. They no longer recognise P&O cruises as part of their points total, they do recognise P&O cruises taken before 12 December 2017 but only if you have also sailed on Princess cruises.

So the only people this should affect are those who have sailed on Princess and P&O. These people should make sure that P&O and Princess share data otherwise when they book another Princess cruise their P&O cruising history might not be taken into consideration when calculating your loyalty tier status.

Anyone who has sailed on P&O but not Princess even if they have sailed on many P&O cruises will be regarded as newcomers to the line whereas this was not previously the case.

Regards John

Not sure that’s what we are discussing John. I have just been on line and I cannot find anywhere that P&O are asking about the new data protection law as Princess have in this communication we have just had.

Not sure that’s what we are discussing John. I have just been on line and I cannot find anywhere that P&O are asking about the new data protection law as Princess have in this communication we have just had.

The Juggler, original poster, said the information came with their Princess Loyalty magazine. I got one today and this sharing data issue was from Princess, you can send a postcard back to them or do it on line. P&O may have coincidentally sent similar correspondence for their cruisers to complete but I have received nothing from P&O yet.

My above post analyses what I think are the implications of allowing or not allowing the different cruise lines to share data.

Regards John

I assume that you can register on the princess site. Is this the UK or US site and where is it? I have logged in and can't find anything relating to it. Help please!!

On the Princess site go to the captains circle section and log in. You will find it there.

With regard to P&O I have emailed the peninsular club to ask how they are handling it.

On the Princess site go to the captains circle section and log in. You will find it there.

I have logged on to my Princess captains circle and can't see anything there. Whereabouts is it?

Brian

I have logged on to my Princess captains circle and can't see anything there. Whereabouts is it?

Brian

Brian it’s under Account Information then Profile information then receive offers and news.

The UK data protection laws are being changed from May 2018 and companies are reviewing their privacy and data protection policies.

We've just had the Princess magazine and we have to opt back in to their Captain's Circle Loyalty Programme before 21 May to continue to receive benefits.

The info states this opt in is for all Carnival cruise lines.

If we don't we will be removed from the loyalty scheme.

I am not aware if P&O customers have been contacted, but if you have lots of loyalty points ensure you opt in asap as the indication is you will lose them from 22 May 2018.

You may also lose any benefits applied to cruises already booked and departing after 1 August 2018 if you don't opt in before the deadline.

You can do the opt in online with Princess, so it should be similar with P&O.

Of course I may just be a cynic but I've never sailed with Princess but have been on their website at some point and given them my email address possibly when looking at pricing a cruise. Since then I have been bombarded by emails.

.I did get one last week mentioning Gdpr regulations and stating that I need to opt in to keep being informed .... Also known as bombarded with sales emails . Hence I've taken the view that if I don't click then the junk will stop...hopefully.

Could this just be yet another ploy to keep you locked in.😉

I've not received any similar opt in email from P&O (I have sailed with them many times now)

I had an email from Cunard a couple of weeks ago and from P&O earlier this evening -

Subject was - Mrs xxxxx, don't miss out on all this

"Mrs xxxxx, data regulations are changing and we’re updating our privacy policy.Don't miss out on the things you love, like our new ship news, exclusive discounts and tempting offers to name a few.,"

There is a link to their website to update communication preferences.

Edited by Host Hattie