Drinks without the UDP

myra711

And using percentage instead of a flat tip per drink is getting really expensive. Some of these drinks are hitting the $18 mark. 20% is $3.60. That runs that drink's price up to about $21.60. These drinks are not that large. Very few bartenders anywhere get $3.60 tip per drink, drink after drink, making several dozen an hour. Of course, the bartenders aren't getting this from NCL either. At 20 drinks per hour in that price range, that's about $70 and hour in just tips. Of course many drinks are just $10 or so. That would only be an extra $40 an hour earned in tips (or more correctly identified as profit padding). I kinda equate this to an auto dealership profit padding a car sale with a $600 documentary fee. Charge what you wish and what the market will bear, but be honest as to what the extra fees actually are. My opinion........

Yes, there is an auto tip on each drink purchased.. HOWEVER.. throwing the server a buck every once in a while (doesn't have to be every drink) goes a LONG way with them. They will remember you. They will take care of you. This is especially important when it's real busy, and people are waiting forever for drinks. They will go out of their way to take care of you.

95%, that's because the POS would require too much coding to flat rate the gratuity. It's easier to say 20% on everything.

Keep in mind, POS collected tips, and gratuity charge on the UBP is pooled. If you want to actually tip the bartender, carry cash.

This is my plan for my cruise in January:

- Go to guest services and ditch my service charge, saying I prefer to tip in cash.

- Carry a stack of onesies

- leave $1 or more in tips at My discretion to bartenders, tablemaids and room stewards as I deem necessary and if I can afford it.

- Go to guest services and ditch my service charge, saying I prefer to tip in cash.

- leave $1 or more in tips at My discretion to bartenders, tablemaids and room stewards as I deem necessary and if I can afford it.

This may not work to your advantage. If you do not pay the DSC then individual tips have to (should) be put in the "pot" by the recipient till the DSC has been reached. Any tip when that has been reached then goes to the individual.

I bet the message quickly goes round from the Guest Services staff as to who has ditched the DSC. While NCL creams some of the DSC the rest of the staff do reasonably well from what is left.

If you don't have the UBP and buy a drink, you will still be charged the 20%. And if you do have the UBP, You have already paid the 20%. The daily service charge/tips etc do not go to the bar staff they go to room stewards, dining service and behind the scenes. You are confusing 2 different things here.

Are you serious, they share my information with staff if I Remove my daily? That’s an invasion of privacy. Maybe I’ll wait until the last day to remove the charge then, to ensure they don’t see me “flagged” and do poor housekeeping in my room.

Wow. I am just stunned that they would even do such a thing

The DSC has nothing to do with the gratuity charge for the UBP. In addition, NCL no longer allows you to just "remove gratuities" on the spot anymore... You must fill out a form and wait for a refund, likely weeks after you return. You'll only be stiffing the hard working staff, as well as being cheap...

Are you serious, they share my information with staff if I Remove my daily? That’s an invasion of privacy. Maybe I’ll wait until the last day to remove the charge then, to ensure they don’t see me “flagged” and do poor housekeeping in my room.

Wow. I am just stunned that they would even do such a thing

WRONG!!!!

I had a problem that took three days to get fixed so I reduced the DSC this November. No forms. No delays.

The Steward also tried to get someone to fix it without success. I asked if cash tips had to be turned in because I reduced the DSC,and I was assured that was not the case on NCL. They get to keep cash tips so that is how I handled the problem

How did this thread go from a la carte drinks to DSC removal?:confused:

We've now moved onto the next phase of the discussion, which is my favourite.

It's where about a dozen people all tell us exactly how the tips, dsc and everything else are dealt with internally. Every one of them knows that their version is correct, as they were told by NCL staff, so there is clearly no doubt.

However, somehow, every one is different. :)

We've now moved onto the next phase of the discussion, which is my favourite.

It's where about a dozen people all tell us exactly how the tips, dsc and everything else are dealt with internally. Every one of them knows that their version is correct, as they were told by NCL staff, so there is clearly no doubt.

However, somehow, every one is different. :)

Recent personal experience belies the often repeated myths that some post repeatedly on these boards.

When I told the service desk person I wanted to reduce the DSC, the only question was " how much". . It was done immediately.

Edited by swedish weave

Recent personal experience belies the often repeated myths that some post repeatedly on these boards.

When I told the service desk person I wanted to reduce the DSC, the only question was " how much". . It was done immediately.

I was referring to how things are dealt with internally.

Your experience regarding removing the DSC is a matter of fact. Whatever people are told by staff members about how tips are dealt with behind the scenes are not, and reports fluctuate widely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk