"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I used to have a Digital Wallet (battery operated hard drive/card reader) but the cost/capacity of SD cards meand I can carry eight or more SD cards, each large enough for weeks of photos, in a case smaller and lighter than the old backup/storage solution.

My need for a device other than a camera is now more tied to wanting to share photos during the trip.

Yeah, card capacities have grown, and prices have dropped, as with most tech things. OTOH, cards do fail/get lost/get stolen, so a backup is still nice to have. Though with current capacities, maybe a better idea would be to come up with a way to back up onto a second (large) SD card.

The way to get around that, is change your settings on your phone to NOT automatically change time zones.

I turn mine to the "manual" setting at the start of the cruise, and then I change the time on the days we cross a time zone. When we return from the cruise, I reset it to the automatic time zone setting again.

This is a year-old tip, but I might have fallen victim to the automatic time change in Roatan the other day if my DH had not pointed it out to me. Next time we cruise, I’ll set a reminder to put my phone/watch on Manual on embarkation day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1)

2) Bring a small "gift" for your cabin steward from your hometown. I bring a t-shirt from our local area, but any souvenir will do. I wrap it in cellophane and add some candy and then put a note on the outside with a quick hello message (basic info about who we are and how excited we are about this cruise). I carry it on board, and put it on the top of the bed as soon as we board.

Which brings me to 4) bring small pre-made cello envelopes with a $2.00 tip (and again I add candy and a small pre-printed thank you) for room service.

I Love this tip! So doing this on our September cruise

I always give a 2.00 tip for room service. If my travel agent pays my gratuities I still will give a sizeable tip to my room steward and my wait staff both the waiter and his or her helper. They are the people I see and interact with and I believe they need something extra for their service. I always start off the trip with a $20.00 bill to my Room Steward and ask them to be sure I always have ice in my room during my trip.

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for this awesome thread with all of your tips and advice! I've spent the last several days reading over all of them! My boyfriend and I are seriously considering taking a cruise this summer for a trip together. We're hoping to book soon, to the Caribbean! I did have a few general questions.

• How early can you book excursions?
  • Do all cabins typically have a refrigerator in them?
  • Are cruise carry on dimensions similar to planes? I'm assuming we could just carry on all of our stuff, but it doesn't seem like people do that from reading here.
  • We're heavily considering Celebrity, but we also liked a Royal Caribbean itinerary as well. However right now Celebrity is less expensive. It doesn't look like we could go horribly wrong with any cruise line, but of these 2 which would you recommend for a young couple? He's 29 and I'm 28.
  • How much of a problem are pickpockets in ports? I plan to prepare for the possibility regardless, but I was curious.
  • Are there outdoor dining options available on cruises? Obviously it's not a make-or-break thing, but I do love eating outside on occasion.
  • When dressing for an excursion, is it a good rule of thumb to perhaps just wear a swimsuit underneath a coverup like a casual dress or something similar?
  • We love going to the gym and are wondering how gyms usually are on board. They look fairly decent from what I could tell, but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with the weights in these gyms.

I'm sorry for all of the questions! We just have a lot of them and are very excited! :) Thank you again for all of your tips! I've already taken some notes :)

We have just booked a cruise for jan 2020 with celeb and have already prebooked a couple of excursions directly with them :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and since every one seems to have an opinion on the subject of sports/duct tape, I bring sports tape but it is for use on the GF. She is a screamer. Seriously, you never know when something will rip/tear/break and at those times you would be willing to $50 for a single strip of a $5 roll. Then again, in a true emergency, ask your cabin steward or at the guest relations desk and they will probably help you out.

Zip Strips. Again, yes, but for the GF. I also use them on the luggage to know if someone entered it. It has never been opened on the ship but getting onto the ship, about a third of the time my luggage has been opened/searched.

Dude, you crack me up! I hope I meet someone with your sense of humor on our trip!:')

You may not want to bring a power strip. A lady we cruised with this year had hers confiscated, making her luggage late to her room. Instead of a power strip, get an outlet plug that's smaller in size and has place for two more plugs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Loving this thread! I have a entire list of things to bring!

With respect to the power strip, are they allowed or are they not? My husband has a CPAP machine and of course we need to charge phones (for photos) and batteries for the proper camera!

I am cruising on HAL this June for an Alaska cruise and none of the 7 of us has been on a cruise before.

I bought something like this

https://www.amazon.com/3-grounded-Outlet-T-shaped-Adapter-Orange/dp/B0065N2T5A/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1526238973&sr=8-20&keywords=3+plug+outlet+adapter

at Walmart for about $3, I liked that they weren't right next too each sometimes side by side it gets a little tight. I also have an old USB hub that I'm taking. I have a very nice 3plug 2usb adaptor but turns out it has surge suppression so that's a no no. I even go so far as to plug everything in ahead of time to make sure I have room to plug everything in and all the necessary cables.

You may not want to bring a power strip. A lady we cruised with this year had hers confiscated, making her luggage late to her room. Instead of a power strip, get an outlet plug that's smaller in size and has place for two more plugs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

It's more than they might be confiscated. It's the reason they are verboten.

Power strips invariably have surge protection designed for use ashore. Ship are wired

differently, and otherwise properly-used power strips render shipboard circuit breakers

ineffective. The breaker trips and the power stays on.

That's --uhm-- Double-Plus-Ungood™.

Here's the US Coast Guard's say on them...

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety%20Alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

With respect to the power strip, are they allowed or are they not? My husband has a CPAP machine and of course we need to charge phones (for photos) and batteries for the proper camera!

I am cruising on HAL this June for an Alaska cruise and none of the 7 of us has been on a cruise before.

You would want to check HAL's site for forbidden items, but based on other lines I've sailed the issue is surge protection and a non-surge protected strip would be fine. You will likely need an extension cord for the CPAP machine too, but again double check what is allowed on HAL (also if you can carry-on the distilled water or need to purchase from the ship).

You would want to check HAL's site for forbidden items, but based on other lines I've sailed the issue is surge protection and a non-surge protected strip would be fine. You will likely need an extension cord for the CPAP machine too, but again double check what is allowed on HAL (also if you can carry-on the distilled water or need to purchase from the ship).

Don’t know about HAL but Royal will provide an extension cord for a CPAP if requested through special needs ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Contact HAL's Special Needs Department. Most lines will provide an extension cord and distilled water for CPAP.

• Like 1

Contact HAL's Special Needs Department. Most lines will provide an extension cord and distilled water for CPAP.

I filled out a form yesterday. If I have time later today I will follow up with a phone call.

Thanks for the help!

I had a power strip taken away on one Carnival cruise. It had a surge protector on it. Now I have one with no surge protector and 4 USB ports. It was enough for 3 gals in our room. It wasn't taken away. I'm sure other cruise companies are similar.

Here is Carnival's information:

Electric Outlets

There is one electric outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity.

The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style).

The outlet in the bathroom can only be used for electric razors.

On the Carnival Vista, there is one USB outlet (5 volt, 1000mA) in each stateroom.

Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

this list is awesome! first time cruiser and i am sure i will need to remind myself of all these clever things! thank you!

I wish I'd known how tiny the bathroom counters are, bring clear over the door shoe holder for everything. I wish I'd known if you want a soda card- wait till your in international waters to pay no tax. I wish I'd brought battery back-up alarm clock, my own soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Now I know to make the kids bring their school backpacks- great for getting off ship to carry their own things..snorkle...mask..and keep the collected shells separated :) I have older kids that can roam the ship, I find walkie talkies VERY handy. This year is the first yeat we bought something to decorate the door with and ribbons to put on our suitcases.. the suitcase thing sounds dumb..until you see everyones suitcase in one room and your trying to find yours! no kidding! I wish I'd brought...big cups, thermal cups, mugs, something to keep my BIG wine discreet and cold :)

If you are doing a European or Asian cruise listen to the lectures. They will tell you so much about where you are going and the history behind the countries.

Pack half of what you think you'll need. The on board shops have nice bargains.

Don't pay the automatic gratuities. Tip very generously to those who you have direct contact with. It is not your place to pay the ships crew.

Order coffee for first thing in the morning in your room while you get ready to go to breakfast. Don't forget to tip (2.00) is fine everytime you have room service.

Do take 2 bathing suits. Don't take towels!

Definitely use the ships laundry service--do not ever use the laundry room!!!

27 cruises with many different lines. Like best Celebrity and Holland America because ships are smaller and more intimate. Do try to stick to a couple of lines for extra perks. Have a meal at the Pinnacle restaurant if sailing Holland America, the food is excellent.

If you are doing a European or Asian cruise listen to the lectures. They will tell you so much about where you are going and the history behind the countries.

Pack half of what you think you'll need. The on board shops have nice bargains.

Don't pay the automatic gratuities. Tip very generously to those who you have direct contact with. It is not your place to pay the ships crew.

Order coffee for first thing in the morning in your room while you get ready to go to breakfast. Don't forget to tip (2.00) is fine everytime you have room service.

Do take 2 bathing suits. Don't take towels!

Definitely use the ships laundry service--do not ever use the laundry room!!!

27 cruises with many different lines. Like best Celebrity and Holland America because ships are smaller and more intimate. Do try to stick to a couple of lines for extra perks. Have a meal at the Pinnacle restaurant if sailing Holland America, the food is excellent.

On many lines, those you tip directly are required to turn them in to the tipping pool.

Sweetiepie,

Just curious. Why would you not use the self-service laundry? I have used it many times on HAL and the room is always spotlessly clean as are the washers and dryers. When using them I can choose the water temp and delicate/perma press/regular cycles, etc.

I'm also puzzled by that comment. Nothing wrong with the self service laundry on HAL.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app

Unless you're on a Signature-class ship like Eurodam which doesn't have such?
I realize not all ships have them, but the poster who made the comment implied that you shouldn't use the laundry on the ships that have self service.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app