Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

I have been asked by my DW to dress up and wear a suit and tie when dining in the MDR on Formal Night on our next cruise. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. It’s been years since I’ve worn a suit and tie to dinner in MDR on Formal Night. On recent cruises, I’ve worn a Guayabera shirt for dining in the MDR on Formal Night. But pressure to wear a suit and tie prevails. :( FWIW, I just feel more comfortable dining without wearing a suit and tie. That’s just me, YMMV. :)

So my question is: Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?

I will be sailing on the Coral next week for 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I anticipate it will be very warm weather to wear a suit and tie all evening.

Thanks for guidance re: after dinner Formal Night dress rules.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

When we first started to cruise we dressed to the "nines" and stayed dressed all evening!! Over the years DH does not order a tux any longer and no long gown for me. DH wears a suit and I wear dressy slacks and a fancy top. However, after dinner we change to our casual clothes of shorts and tops. My in-laws usually stay in the suit and fancy dress. Have a great cruise!!!

Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?
yes and yes. Well, it's a little cold in the evening, so casual pants and a long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt for us.

We don't even dress up that much anymore, but hubs is wearing a nice shirt and dress pants, and I sometimes wear a dress, but I feel very uncomfortable in such formal wear, and can't wait to change after dinner.

There is no reason or rule that says you can not change clothes. That is the one of the reasons I do not wear suits on formal nights. I think it not right to have to dress up for just a 2 hour or so meal. I will continue to just wear long sleeve shirt and tie. After dinner the tie goes into my pocket.

Here is what I normally do.

If going from dinner to the theater I normally stay in jacket & tie. The theater is normally cool and I feel more comfortable that way. Generally I will stay dressed all evening. At one time I didn't like jacket and tie, but it doesn't seem to bother me any more. I don't have any problem with it.

If not going to a show I sometimes remove the jacket & tie and change into a more smart casual outfit.

In hot climates I have changed into shorts and a nice shirt, like a golf shirt.

We usually eat dinner late and stay dressed if we do any other evening activities. Once I get back to the cabin and out of my suit you would have a hard time getting me dressed in anything other than a robe or PJ's :D:halo:.

I have been asked by my DW to dress up and wear a suit and tie when dining in the MDR on Formal Night on our next cruise. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. It’s been years since I’ve worn a suit and tie to dinner in MDR on Formal Night. On recent cruises, I’ve worn a Guayabera shirt for dining in the MDR on Formal Night. But pressure to wear a suit and tie prevails. :( FWIW, I just feel more comfortable dining without wearing a suit and tie. That’s just me, YMMV. :)

So my question is: Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?

I will be sailing on the Coral next week for 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I anticipate it will be very warm weather to wear a suit and tie all evening.

That’s the reason why I wish Princess would follow the lead of other cruise lines like Oceania and have smart casual every night. I have never seen anyone on those cruises dressed inappropriately at dinner or after dinner. Where I live, of the restaurants we frequent, the last one stopped requiring jackets a few years ago. Two thoughts on the subject. First I tend to believe that the money Princess makes from formal night pictures (especially first time cruisers) is a factor. No photographers on Oceania. And second, I have never gone to a restaurant with my husband and perhaps friends where we were encouraged to share a table with strangers. (And sometimes strongly encouraged!)

My tux and shirt are very comfortable. I leave it on unless it gets hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have one those new microfiber, teflon thread, moisture wicking tux shirts

https://bonobos.com/products/the-capstone-winged-tuxedo-shirt?color=white%20wing%20collar&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=bing-shopping-us-brand&cvosrc=ppc.bing.bing-shopping-us-brand_&matchtype=e&network=o&mobile=&search=1&content=&creative={creative}&keyword=&adposition={adposition}

sorry I hijacked ur thread King

We leave the same clothes on all evening. DH used to wear a tux on formal nights but now he wears a dark suit. We have never changed into more casual clothes after dinner. We never wear shorts in the evening even on non-formal nights. DH always wears slacks and a long- sleeved collared dress shirt on non-formal nights.

I would say it's very appropriate to change after dinner. We do the 8:15 dining, so by the time we are done, it's not something I will likely do. Hit a show, have a few nightcaps, maybe just hang around a lounge...it seems just as easy to stay dressed. Our group will all have the guys in tuxedos, but for the most part, they are rather comfortable.

If my husband asked me to dress up for a dinner I would because he asked me to. I try to compromise a little. And then I stay that way for the evening so he gets to enjoy it. I like dressing up now and then. Other than that give me my jammies. lol. So maybe you can compromise one night and not dress up the next one.

The theatre is air-conditioned, so it is not uncomfortably hot. You do have a lot of options for formal night.

After dinner, just remove your sportcoat and tie, then you could go to the theatre in your dress shirt and slacks. That's what my husband did, and he was fine with that.

Or, wear an open-necked Guayabera shirt that has a straight hem and doesn't need to be tucked in. That's considered dressy wear all over the tropics.

Or, on formal night, just order dinner from room service in your cabin, at no extra charge and remain in shorts and t-shirt.

Or, remain in shorts and t-shirt and have burgers or pizza at Trident Grill upstairs.

Or, remain in shorts and t-shirt and have many choices of dinner entrees upstairs at Horizon Court.

Or, simply book another cruise line with the same itinerary.

Dinners in the MDR last about 90 minutes and about 75 minutes if you skip dessert.

No idea why people are so terribly resistant to dressing up for 75-90 minutes and why they insist on booking Princess.:confused:

The theatre is air-conditioned, so it is not uncomfortably hot. You do have a lot of options for formal night.

After dinner, just remove your sportcoat and tie, then you could go to the theatre in your dress shirt and slacks. That's what my husband did, and he was fine with that.

Or, wear an open-necked Guayabera shirt that has a straight hem and doesn't need to be tucked in. That's considered dressy wear all over the tropics.

Or, on formal night, just order dinner from room service in your cabin, at no extra charge and remain in shorts and t-shirt.

Or, remain in shorts and t-shirt and have burgers or pizza at Trident Grill upstairs.

Or, remain in shorts and t-shirt and have many choices of dinner entrees upstairs at Horizon Court.

Or, simply book another cruise line with the same itinerary.

Dinners in the MDR last about 90 minutes and about 75 minutes if you skip dessert.

No idea why people are so terribly resistant to dressing up for 75-90 minutes and why they insist on booking Princess.:confused:

You may want to prepare yourself for the rocks about to be thrown your way. I made this suggestion the other day "don't dress up and eat somewhere else" and was chastised over and over for telling others what to do. Good luck!