Ovation of the seas and character breakfast

Sailed on Ovation back in January (OMG was it that long ago ??) to NZ.

I don't recall 'character breakfasts' - unless they had some in the restaurants on the lower decks, which we never got to.

Needing to remember - this ship has about 5000 people, and at breakfast, they want to EAT. The areas open for breakfast are the buffet (BUSY), front upper deck getaway (buffet styled), or one or both of the 'formal' dining areas (note that they aren't massive dining halls like on some ships). There just isn't room or time.

Dreamwork characters more or less did a few walks thru the shopping 'strip' in the afternoons - one needs to check the guide guide for them.

From their web site..

The Dreamworks Character Breakfast is available on Allure of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Voyager of the Seas®, Mariner of the Seas®, Quantum of the Seas® and Anthem of the Seas®.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/contentSiteletSub.do?pagename=dreamworks_make_some_new_friends&pagenameMain=dreamworks_main&discriminators=2&wuc=NZL

I was on the Ovation with two 8 year old grandchildren and took them to the Character Breakfast - for us it was not a great experience. The two had seen all the characters moving around the ship and already had lots of photos with them- you are allowed to take photos with your own camera/phone rather than having to have the "official" ones. The breakfast did not appeal to two youngsters who had been enjoying the delights of the buffet all week - they had very much enjoyed the novelty of being able to have small helpings of lots of things and the dining room style breakfast did not excite them.

Not something I would suggest doing again,

They absolutely loved Ovation though - such a pity there are no short school holiday trips this summer - we did the five days to Tassie and it was a great experience with so many activities on board.

I was on the Ovation with two 8 year old grandchildren and took them to the Character Breakfast - for us it was not a great experience. The two had seen all the characters moving around the ship and already had lots of photos with them- you are allowed to take photos with your own camera/phone rather than having to have the "official" ones. The breakfast did not appeal to two youngsters who had been enjoying the delights of the buffet all week - they had very much enjoyed the novelty of being able to have small helpings of lots of things and the dining room style breakfast did not excite them.

Not something I would suggest doing again,

They absolutely loved Ovation though - such a pity there are no short school holiday trips this summer - we did the five days to Tassie and it was a great experience with so many activities on board.

Glad to hear they still have a breakfast may I ask what was the cost? How many characters were at breakfast?

I didn't sail on Ovation of the Seas but we did attend the character breakfast on the Mariner of the Seas. Shrek and Fiona were the only characters to appear and we found the whole experience to be a waste of money (In addition to our own kids we treated my nieces and nephews to the breakfast).

I may not have felt that way if we hadn't done the Cat in the Hat/Green Eggs and Ham breakfast on the Carnival Legend (which was cheaper and where some obvious effort had been put into the decorating, experience and menu).

The RCL character breakfast was a really lazy set up where there wasn't much offered that you couldn't get at the breakfast buffet and the decorations on the tables were pretty much non existent. They didn't even bother to send any of their professional photographers for photographs (which i was really annoyed about because we had paid for the unlimited digital photo package, but i guess they thought that we could just line up when the characters were due to do their meet and greets. Which admittedly we couldn't be bothered with).