Poll: What's important to you on a river cruise?

editor@cruisecritic

Which of these are most important to you for your river cruises?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are most important to you for your river cruises?

• Complimentary shore excursions
    • Bicycles onboard
    • Private balconies
    • Alternative dining options
    • Nightlife
    • Spa and gym
    • Lectures and enrichment
    • Inclusive liquor (beyond free wine and beer with dinner)
    • Onboard concierge to book personal requests
    • Pool
    • Well-stocked library
    • Room service menu
    • Alfresco dining
    • Other (please post below)

When you’re researching a river cruise, which of these aspects is most important to you? (Feel free to vote for any and/or all choices that impact your cruise line pick). Did we forget one of your favorites? Tell us about it.

Thanks....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief (and crazy, enthused river cruise fan)

Cruise Critic

I included a vote for "other" because as an Australian after itinerary I find I much prefer a company that includes all gratuities in the price. As many know I truly prefer my cruise to be all-inclusive.

Itinerary is #1 reason I would book a cruise.

Room size is #2 for us - we don't like to be crammed. Hate the fold-up Pullman style beds for example.

Reviews from other CC'ers is #3

All the rest, including the ones I checked, are below those first three items.

#1 in importance is ITINERARY!!!

Same here! I sort of considered the shore excursions as the itinerary. On river cruises it is sort of the same.

One thing I would add. Keep up the standards of quality. I don't want river cruising to take the same path as ocean cruising.

Same here! I sort of considered the shore excursions as the itinerary. On river cruises it is sort of the same.

One thing I would add. Keep up the standards of quality. I don't want river cruising to take the same path as ocean cruising.

I agree!

Itinerary

Stateroom windows (don't need a balcony)

Dining room, high standards

Quality staff and service

Ease of traveling (they take care of everything)

Included airport transfers to/from ship

Great guides for the excursions

Small groups, limited size of ships

Itinerary

Thanks beesKate! You summed it up very nicely.

Love your insights, beesKate, thanks.

Carolyn

Itinerary

I would consider myself an experienced river cruiser in as much as I have been on 7 river cruises, with 4 different companies, with an 8th and a fifth company this fall. Even though my favorite cruise company so far is Uniworld, I do find their cabins and bathrooms especially, too small for my liking. Now in all fairness I have not been on one of their newer ships but the majority of the fleet has small cabins and even very small cabins/bathrooms on a couple of ships. That being said, the experience of traveling with Uniworld is FIRST CLASS. Others come close, but close only counts in horse shoes, LOL.

My priorities for a river cruise are:

1. A cabin of at least 170 sq. feet and very good sound insulation.

2. Great food with much variety.

3. A staff that is happy to serve you and take care of all your needs and wants.

4. Many shore excursions with guides who don't stop every 5 minutes and talk for 20 minutes. I want to see and take pictures of as much as possible.

5. I'm looking forward to my first all inclusive cruise this fall. Not having to tip and free drinks all day long sounds very appealing.

6. Included transfers.

A lot of posters said that itinerary is the most important but when it comes to river cruising, most of the companies have similar itineraries so unless there is some specific place you really want to visit, that is not usually a big item to consider when choosing a cruise line. That being said, last April I took my first Avalon cruise because they went to Maastricht, Holland and others didn't.

A lot of posters said that itinerary is the most important but when it comes to river cruising, most of the companies have similar itineraries so unless there is some specific place you really want to visit, that is not usually a big item to consider when choosing a cruise line.

I completely agree! For us, the devil is in the details and the line we choose a very important factor in our overall enjoyment.

...to learn which line is going to be your fifth, rbiller, and why you chose it!

Carolyn

I would consider myself an experienced river cruiser in as much as I have been on 7 river cruises, with 4 different companies, with an 8th and a fifth company this fall. Even though my favorite cruise company so far is Uniworld, I do find their cabins and bathrooms especially, too small for my liking. Now in all fairness I have not been on one of their newer ships but the majority of the fleet has small cabins and even very small cabins/bathrooms on a couple of ships. That being said, the experience of traveling with Uniworld is FIRST CLASS. Others come close, but close only counts in horse shoes, LOL.

My priorities for a river cruise are:

1. A cabin of at least 170 sq. feet and very good sound insulation.

2. Great food with much variety.

3. A staff that is happy to serve you and take care of all your needs and wants.

4. Many shore excursions with guides who don't stop every 5 minutes and talk for 20 minutes. I want to see and take pictures of as much as possible.

5. I'm looking forward to my first all inclusive cruise this fall. Not having to tip and free drinks all day long sounds very appealing.

6. Included transfers.

A lot of posters said that itinerary is the most important but when it comes to river cruising, most of the companies have similar itineraries so unless there is some specific place you really want to visit, that is not usually a big item to consider when choosing a cruise line. That being said, last April I took my first Avalon cruise because they went to Maastricht, Holland and others didn't.

Tauck is going to be my fifth. I chose it for several reasons. First and foremost is because Tauck has about 6-8 single cabins on each cruise with no single supplement. Some of the other cruise lines waive the SS when they need to fill up the ship. Often this is during the off season and the weather is not as good.

The second reason I chose Tauck is because of the all inclusive feature. Uniworld is starting this in 2014 but Tauck has had it for a few years and have added the free drinks all day long this year probably to keep up with Uniworld.

I also chose it for the itinerary which starts in Amsterdam and ends in Basel. There are only a couple places on the cruise that I have already been to so most of it will be new. Also there are a few out of the ordinary inclusions such as dinner at a 1000 year old castle that I thought would be interesting.

Hope that answers your question. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

Edited by rbiller

As a retired couple we really enjoy river cruising. We have not done any more ocean cruises in a number of years because we are so happy with river cruising - especially on Uniworld. We have tried several other companies but none, in our opinion, come even close to Uniworld. We especially like the attentive staff and the all inclusive atmosphere that Uniworld has created.:)

#1 - ITINERARY

#2 - Comfortable, Quiet Cabin

#3 - Friendly Attentive Staff

-----------------------------------

RCL Explorer of the Seas - 10 Night Canada/New England

Celebrity Infinity - 11 Night British Isles Cruise

Oceania Marina - 10 Night Roman Legends

Celebrity Infinity - 15 Night Panama Canal

Uniworld River Beatrice - Danube Xmas Markets

RCL Allure of the Seas - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

RCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Night Mexican Riviera

Uniworld River Duchess - Rhine Xmas Markets