Cobh and surroundings - private tour or DIY?

hello,

we usually try to avoid group tours since we are traveling with 2 kids.

we are planning on several private tours and are not sure if we should spend the extra $$ on a private tour in Cobh or just take the train to Cork, a taxi to Kinsale and then back to Cobh to wander around on our own before heading back to the ship.

if we did a private tour, we would stop in Cork, Kinsale, Old Head, Garretstown Beach and Timoleague. we like coast lines and nice villages. not sure if visiting Old Head, Garretstown Beach and Timoleague is worth spending the extra $$. there are other ports where we have so much on our list that i would not scratch anything off the list, but in Cobh (and surrounding areas), we are a bit unsure.

what are your thoughts on that?:confused::confused:

thanks,

yv

I can't really help with your private tour question, but having lived in Cork for 8 years; Old Head & Garretstown beach were 2 of our favorite plces to go, so I'd definitely recommend going!

A taxi from the city with be pretty pricey though, so you might consider the local bus to Kinsale? I've never done it personally (further than the airport) but worth checking out the bus eireann website to see if it's a feasible option. You'll then need a taxi in Kinsale to get to Old head & the beach, but it will be cheaper.

A taxi direct from Cobh to Kinsale might be the same price, by the time you've paid 4 train fares to get into the city, then a cab out to the seaside.

Hiring your own car for the day would be my personal preference, but I totally get that may not be the preferred option for driving on country lanes on the wrong side of the road!

What time of year are you going? You know it'll rain right??!!