1st Responder Discount after full payment not honored

TBBucman

After many emails with MCS customer service, I found out they would not give the 10% discount after final payment. I had already booked and paid for two staterooms with all passengers being eligible for the 1st responder discount prior to knowledge of the available discount.

I reviewed the CruiseCritic comments and saw that there had been one cruiser who after payment had O.B.C. credited to their account.

After forwarding the screenshot of that post to MSC and asking for the discount that is given to law enforcement, I was told that no discount would be available due to payment being paid in full.

I asked if there was a possibility that a discount could be given on the upgrade to the "Deluxe" beverage package in lieu of the 10% discount on the cruise fare.

I received a terse response via email that no discounts could be given after final payment.

Just wanted to let my other 1st responders know to get your 10% off before you book.

After many emails with MCS customer service, I found out they would not give the 10% discount after final payment. I had already booked and paid for two staterooms with all passengers being eligible for the 1st responder discount prior to knowledge of the available discount.

I reviewed the CruiseCritic comments and saw that there had been one cruiser who after payment had O.B.C. credited to their account.

After forwarding the screenshot of that post to MSC and asking for the discount that is given to law enforcement, I was told that no discount would be available due to payment being paid in full.

I asked if there was a possibility that a discount could be given on the upgrade to the "Deluxe" beverage package in lieu of the 10% discount on the cruise fare.

I received a terse response via email that no discounts could be given after final payment.

Just wanted to let my other 1st responders know to get your 10% off before you book.

I guess it does make sense to not give a discount after final payment but they could have offered a credit especially if they go more money out of you in the process. They don't seem to advertise the discount which seems to defeat the whole purpose as most of us find out after we book.

I booked inside the 90 day window so had to do final payment at the same time as booking. A bit confusing as you can only do the discount directly with MSC. Thanks to the other thread I called and did the discount after reservation but got my TA to hold off for an hour on the actual payment. Also note it is for teachers, first responders, military and anyone else who gets their paycheck from any level of government in Canada or the United States so really covers a lot of people.

Why ? Why do certain people get the discount but not others in paid employment ?

Maybe someone can explain.

I will do my best to explain but you and others may not like the response. This discount like many other companies in the USA (not sure about Europe) were originally offered to Military personnel only because of the obvious sacrifices and hardships endured, then it was extended to first responders who also face danger in their occupations, from there it branched out to Government employees, teachers and now you are suggesting "others in paid employment?"

So here is the part that will not sit well with some but here it is . While I can appreciate what a teacher does in their everyday jobs it simply does not equal the sacrifice and danger of that of a Military serviceman/woman. I personally have deployed 5 times for 6 months or longer and that does not include other lengthy operations or exercises not to mention the risk of life. Do I consider myself a better citizen, or more important than anyone else? NO ! absolutely not but I do understand what I and others have sacrificed for my Country and appreciate any discounts offered to me and my family. BTW in Oct I will have completed 31 years of service.

I will do my best to explain but you and others may not like the response. This discount like many other companies in the USA (not sure about Europe) were originally offered to Military personnel only because of the obvious sacrifices and hardships endured, then it was extended to first responders who also face danger in their occupations, from there it branched out to Government employees, teachers and now you are suggesting "others in paid employment?"

So here is the part that will not sit well with some but here it is . While I can appreciate what a teacher does in their everyday jobs it simply does not equal the sacrifice and danger of that of a Military serviceman/woman. I personally have deployed 5 times for 6 months or longer and that does not include other lengthy operations or exercises not to mention the risk of life. Do I consider myself a better citizen, or more important than anyone else? NO ! absolutely not but I do understand what I and others have sacrificed for my Country and appreciate any discounts offered to me and my family. BTW in Oct I will have completed 31 years of service.

Yours is a good answer and makes a lot of sense. I think in the MSC case the primary goal is not to thank you for your service but to fill seats. They devalue their brand by lowering prices even more but offering a discount that a large chunk of the population qualifies (only one of a couple needs to have the status to get the discount) for they have a back-door price drop.

Regardless they are a business and they can give a discount to anyone they want as long as they do it in a non-discriminatory fashion.

Cullyman ... Thanks for your honest answer regarding the discount ... :) We in Europe or in our case the UK as far as I know are not offered these discounts by any cruise line, having served 30 years as a Full time Firefighter I have never been offered any. The only discount some of us received was on our vehicle insurance due to the fact that we had taken advanced driving courses that we had to retake every 3 years in order to be able to drive the Fire Trucks.

Cullyman ... Thanks for your honest answer regarding the discount ... :) We in Europe or in our case the UK as far as I know are not offered these discounts by any cruise line, having served 30 years as a Full time Firefighter I have never been offered any. The only discount some of us received was on our vehicle insurance due to the fact that we had taken advanced driving courses that we had to retake every 3 years in order to be able to drive the Fire Trucks.

Sidari - thanks for your service as a firefighter, my FIL was a career firefighter and he saw some awful things over the years. BTW are you an Englishman or a Scot

Are you aware of Blue Light Card, available to Emergency Services, NHS and Armed Forces personnel in the UK. Discounts for various goods and services are available, including 10% on Celebrity, RCI and Fred Olsen cruises.