Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Keep us posted! Your future dog will have lots of interested aunts and uncles here already before he/she even arrives.

Hopefully I will be lucky too and not have to wait for two years. Love the picture of your dog, she is beautiful!

You're so smart to make plans and living your life to the fullest. It will help to make the time go by quicker. Just think, soon you'll be able to take your Service Dog with you when you cruise. Life is just so much better with a Service Dog in it!!!! :)

I am definitely looking forward to taking my dog cruising. I don't think I would do a transatlantic (which is what we have done for our last three cruises), at least not for the first one. We will look into cruising to Alaska or Hawaii first. It would be just my luck to get into the November training and have to turn it down, but we had this cruise booked before I got on the waiting list. I am keeping my fingers crossed for February.

Dianne

I'm sorry, I realize how rude that was.......Anyone who would like to support Canine Companions for Independence and see Horton model, this is your opportunity. It's at The Peninsula Beverly Hills Hotel, on Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 6:30pm.

I don't want to break any rules here on CC by advertising. But, if you'd like to help a premier dog training organization this would be the way. And, we'd get a chance to meet you at the same time. ♥

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to be rude either. I just figured that since Roz is in SoCal she might be going. But if anyone else is in the area, I would LOVE to meet you, too! So come on out and support CCI's Haute Dog LA!

I am definitely looking forward to taking my dog cruising. I don't think I would do a transatlantic (which is what we have done for our last three cruises), at least not for the first one. We will look into cruising to Alaska or Hawaii first. It would be just my luck to get into the November training and have to turn it down, but we had this cruise booked before I got on the waiting list. I am keeping my fingers crossed for February.

Dianne

When I was invited to go to Team Training for my Successor Dog we also had a cruise planned and I had to refuse the invite. I became so stressed because of the timing and worried that I missed an opportunity. They only offer TT at certain times of the year and if you miss one you may have to wait months for another, what can you do?

It took an extra 5 months because they had to do more research on their waiting list, move folks around, check out the right dogs for the right person, etc., etc. It's a fine tune machine this CCI Team Training thing.

As it was Horton and I were put into a "side placement." Which means there was no TT class available for us, not until the following year and I needed a dog. CCI knew that. So, it was Ken [the trainer], me and 3 dogs I was being matched with. I lived at CCI for one week while I worked with all 3 dogs and I took the written tests, the public access tests and was sent home with Horton. I was invited to come back in 3 months to graduate with the next class. I didn't have to have the ceremony but I wanted the whole experience. Morey and Brenda came with Horton and me to watch us graduate.

So much has happened to change Horton's and my world. We have each other, he's my family now [when my kids aren't around] and he's made a world of difference in my world! ♥

There's a dog for you if CCI accepts you. They know what they're doing and very, very rarely make mistakes. Trust their decisions, wait and, I promise you, you won't be sorry!!!!!

I trust their techniques and training styles. I'm so, so glad I missed the class I did and had to wait for Horton. He's everything I ever wanted in a dog!!!!

Quam, you will meet the puppy before it goes to formal training? Wow! That is so different than CCI. We can't meet our dogs until they've been formally trained and then we spend two weeks at CCI, working with various dogs and then are matched with the dog that the trainers feel works best with us. At the end of the two weeks we graduate and get to meet the Puppy Raisers. It's a very emotional and heartwarming ceremony.

The two weeks are the most grueling two weeks I've ever spent in my life. But, as you know, so worth it.

Good luck with meeting the puppy. Will you be keeping your retired Service Dog?

Yup, that's one of the great things about going with a private service dog trainer instead of a large program - you pick your own dog (with the trainer's help or the trainer later okays the dog), who you own from the start, and you either board-and-train it or help train it while it lives with you. My current service dog I helped train while she lived with me and she was between one and two years old when I first got her from her breeder. My next dog is obviously a puppy and will live with the trainer while being trained (board-and-train), since my trainer moved to a different state since first training my current service dog. (I also don't want to do the whole puppy potty training stage! ;) ) It will take around two years until my next dog is fully trained - but I will go there to visit from time to time. The trainer does all the training, no puppy raisers involved.

Yes, my current service dog (she's not retired yet! :) ) is all mine until death do us part! I could never get rid of her! ❤️

Delighted to hear your girl is doing well :) that's interesting that you will meet the puppy .... But how exciting ..... I think that's one of the things those with service dogs wish they could know, what their "life changer" was like as a pup! We will hope to know what our pup will be like as a "life changer"! :)

I didn't know my current service dog as a puppy, but in the end it is all okay because we spend so much time with them it isn't really missed in the end! Actually, I'm thinking it might be harder this time doing the board-and-train, but at least visiting every now and then will help!

I do wish you puppy-raisers got to get updates once in a while after the dogs were placed, but I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't want to do that.

It's the very same thing with Hawaii - EXCEPT, if you're arriving by cruise ship, then they bend the rules because they know that it takes almost a week to get there by ship which is too much time to have the titer blood testing done within 48 hours. I had the titer testing done 48 hours before we boarded the ship in L.A. I carried all my paperwork, presented it to Immigration in Hawaii and waahlah, we took Brenda on Maui and drove the Road to Hana with her. I had more questions getting back on board than I had disembarking in Maui.

I was told that they would NEVER quarantine a Service Dog. They would contact the training Org. if they had further questions about the dog's legitimacy. How's that for checking!

Of course, you know that each time you travel there will be different laws, different exceptions and different people doing the examining [just like you mentioned!] ALWAYS check with the cruise ship and their Special Needs Dept. before planning any cruise travel with your Service Dog.

I want to do a World Cruise one day with Horton, can you imagine the paperwork?

Just in case anybody searches for info. on taking their service dog to Hawaii, the rules have been changed for a long time. The dog cannot enter Hawaii until six months after the valid rabies titer test blood was drawn (it takes several weeks to get the results, but the six months begin the day the blood was drawn [as long as the test turns out valid], not the day the results are given). The dog must have had two rabies vaccinations after the microchip was inserted (be sure the rabies certificates have the microchip number on them! Not all do!). The owner must provide proof the dog graduated from an ADI program or proof of disability from their doctor. There are other rules, too, but I don't remember them all, as I have no intentions of going to Hawaii anytime soon. Hawaii's Web site has everything laid out on it - just be sure you look at the rules for service dogs, not the rules for pets, as they do differ. :)

Fairbourne and Beckie were talking about having to spell words around the puppers. But, alas, the puppers are far smarter than that and they can also spell, thus making you spell words is useless!

Did you know dogs can actually be taught to read, too?! The lady who started that service dog trainer college in CA wrote a book on how to train your dog to read both words (like "sit") and line drawings of said words (which she says the dogs tended to figure out on their own after they were taught to read words). They are so smart!! :D

The USDA advised me a titer test is needed for Grand Turk.

After the Vet sends the blood work to Kansas it takes 3 weeks for the results. After the Vet completes their appropriate paperwork, the USDA can provide an international health certificate and titer certificate. The cost is $121 for the certification. This does not include any fees the Vet may charge.

If you're an IAADP member, you get a discount on the titer cost from KSU, plus free rush processing for it. The USDA office does not provide the int'l health certificate; your USDA-approved vet does. You then mail or take in person (appointment required) the health certificate to your regional USDA office for endorsement. This endorsement is free for service dogs as long as you include proof of the dog's training (such as a copy of your service dog team certification). The titer results come from KSU via your vet. Vet fees for everything vary widely from area to area and vet to vet (but IAADP members do get a 10% discount at VCA Animal Hospitals).

When I went to Grand Turk several years back, they required an import permit and some other things, so do double-check check with Turks and Caicos on what is required! I don't recall if they required a six-month wait after the rabies titer or not, as I was able to get them to waive that requirement for me (which I had to get in writing to prove to the USDA so that they would still endorse the certificate).

Edited by Quampapetet

I saw a CCI puppy at the Inner Harbor recently. I admired from afar although I was curious. We get tired of "20 questions".

Regarding a companion for Horton. Yes, cats are much easier to take care of and leave if necessary. We had 2 cats when Ollie came home. They were 11 at the time and it was not an easy adjustment. The litter box can become a problem for the dog. We kept the box in the basement and had to put in a small doggie door in the bottom of the door so the cat could get to it and to keep the dog out of it. Same thing for the pantry door where the cat food was kept. We also have a latch on the door to keep the dog out of both the cat food and garbage can.

When I was invited to go to Team Training for my Successor Dog we also had a cruise planned and I had to refuse the invite. I became so stressed because of the timing and worried that I missed an opportunity. They only offer TT at certain times of the year and if you miss one you may have to wait months for another, what can you do?

It took an extra 5 months because they had to do more research on their waiting list, move folks around, check out the right dogs for the right person, etc., etc. It's a fine tune machine this CCI Team Training thing.

As it was Horton and I were put into a "side placement." Which means there was no TT class available for us, not until the following year and I needed a dog. CCI knew that. So, it was Ken [the trainer], me and 3 dogs I was being matched with. I lived at CCI for one week while I worked with all 3 dogs and I took the written tests, the public access tests and was sent home with Horton. I was invited to come back in 3 months to graduate with the next class. I didn't have to have the ceremony but I wanted the whole experience. Morey and Brenda came with Horton and me to watch us graduate.

So much has happened to change Horton's and my world. We have each other, he's my family now [when my kids aren't around] and he's made a world of difference in my world! ♥

There's a dog for you if CCI accepts you. They know what they're doing and very, very rarely make mistakes. Trust their decisions, wait and, I promise you, you won't be sorry!!!!!

I trust their techniques and training styles. I'm so, so glad I missed the class I did and had to wait for Horton. He's everything I ever wanted in a dog!!!!

That is so true, everything always works out for the best. I am not going to worry about it and whatever happens happens!

Dianne

Yup, that's one of the great things about going with a private service dog trainer instead of a large program - you pick your own dog (with the trainer's help or the trainer later okays the dog), who you own from the start, and you either board-and-train it or help train it while it lives with you. My current service dog I helped train while she lived with me and she was between one and two years old when I first got her from her breeder. My next dog is obviously a puppy and will live with the trainer while being trained (board-and-train), since my trainer moved to a different state since first training my current service dog. (I also don't want to do the whole puppy potty training stage! ;) ) It will take around two years until my next dog is fully trained - but I will go there to visit from time to time. The trainer does all the training, no puppy raisers involved.

Yes, my current service dog (she's not retired yet! :) ) is all mine until death do us part! I could never get rid of her! ❤️

I love how you say that "she's all yours!" Your love for her just shines through your words on paper! :)

I didn't know my current service dog as a puppy, but in the end it is all okay because we spend so much time with them it isn't really missed in the end! Actually, I'm thinking it might be harder this time doing the board-and-train, but at least visiting every now and then will help!

I do wish you puppy-raisers got to get updates once in a while after the dogs were placed, but I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't want to do that.

Both my Puppy Raisers, for Brenda and for Horton got updates all the time. Along with pictures of how their "puppy's" were doing and HUGE thank you's from me for all the work that they put into my Hero's and for giving them all the love and attention in preparation to become someone else's forever partner! I can't thank them enough! ;)

CCI leaves it up to the PR and the recipient as to how much contact they want with each other in the future. I like that!

I saw a CCI puppy at the Inner Harbor recently. I admired from afar although I was curious. We get tired of "20 questions".

Regarding a companion for Horton. Yes, cats are much easier to take care of and leave if necessary. We had 2 cats when Ollie came home. They were 11 at the time and it was not an easy adjustment. The litter box can become a problem for the dog. We kept the box in the basement and had to put in a small doggie door in the bottom of the door so the cat could get to it and to keep the dog out of it. Same thing for the pantry door where the cat food was kept. We also have a latch on the door to keep the dog out of both the cat food and garbage can.

Thanks for the info. I know I wouldn't have needed any sort of latches or special door for Brenda.......That said, I do know I would need every sort of special latch and door for Horton boy! He's a dog of a different sort! I, however, am up for the challenge because I love him so!

Both my Puppy Raisers, for Brenda and for Horton got updates all the time. Along with pictures of how their "puppy's" were doing and HUGE thank you's from me for all the work that they put into my Hero's and for giving them all the love and attention in preparation to become someone else's forever partner! I can't thank them enough! ;)

CCI leaves it up to the PR and the recipient as to how much contact they want with each other in the future. I like that!

That's great that you do that, as I'm sure the puppy raisers are curious about what goes on with the dogs they raised. I know I would be! :)

I managed to track down Raylene's Puppy Raisers via the internet because apparently Guide Dogs for the Blind doesn't routinely pass that info on to Dogs for the Deaf when giving them their "career change" Labs.

Luckily their sub-group of puppy raisers had a web site with Raylene's photo on it, and a Facebook page. It also had the names of Raylene's parents, Flicker and Marino.

Turned out there were two puppy raisers for her. I connected with both, and one sent me some photos from my big girl's "youth." (She's almost three -her birthday will be during our first cruise as a team, on Celebrity in December.)

Another thing I found was a web page Guide Dogs has for each one of their litters. So I found Flicker/Marino and the date, and saw lots of still and video images of Raylene (not sure which black pup she was!) and her "R litter" mates when they were tiny at various stages before the went to the PR. Such fun!

I sent the PRs photos, but have been a little surprised to never hear from them again. But maybe some lucky new pups are wiggling their way into their hearts now!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

What a handsome dog! :)

Here is Davis on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry this past weekend. He did a great job and even went up and down the rather steep steps. Of course he had to see Orson go up and down first. :D

Ferry.jpg

Edited by dobiemom

I'M FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WoooooHoooooo John is back at school!! :D

I will never catch up. He was on the computer everyday, I didn't get a chance to go on. :mad:

Hope everyone is doing good. I'll be back soon with some boring info and pics. lol :D

I managed to track down Raylene's Puppy Raisers via the internet because apparently Guide Dogs for the Blind doesn't routinely pass that info on to Dogs for the Deaf when giving them their "career change" Labs.

Luckily their sub-group of puppy raisers had a web site with Raylene's photo on it, and a Facebook page. It also had the names of Raylene's parents, Flicker and Marino.

Turned out there were two puppy raisers for her. I connected with both, and one sent me some photos from my big girl's "youth." (She's almost three -her birthday will be during our first cruise as a team, on Celebrity in December.)

Another thing I found was a web page Guide Dogs has for each one of their litters. So I found Flicker/Marino and the date, and saw lots of still and video images of Raylene (not sure which black pup she was!) and her "R litter" mates when they were tiny at various stages before the went to the PR. Such fun!

I sent the PRs photos, but have been a little surprised to never hear from them again. But maybe some lucky new pups are wiggling their way into their hearts now!

When I graduated some of my classmates were given the most beautiful albums of their dogs. From the first day they appeared on the PuppyRaisers door step to the day they were turned in for advanced training and every time the PR went to CCI and could capture a picture.

I NEVER got such an album either for Brenda or Horton. CCI had to beg both their PuppyRaisers to find pictures of them. I have some but not many. I missed that part of my dogs lives and I would have loved to have a memory book to look back on, especially after they've passed. [Not that I can bare to look at any for Brenny, yet!]

I have so many pictures of Brenda and Horton once they hit my world, they're also going to be hit with the "paparazzi" moments.

I encourage Fairbourne and DKD and anyone else who's PuppyRaising to please remember to take lots and lots of pictures, it's so important to us, to see our heroes when they were just pups!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz' date=' I was thinking about you today when I saw the news about the terrible earthquake. I know you live in LA and should be OK but was wondering about your children? II certainly hope all is well and send thoughts and prayers for those affected.[/quote']

My San Francisco children were really jolted awake but they're all okay. Thank you for asking. We didn't feel a thing down here.

I think the price of wine may go up!!!! :eek:

Here is Davis on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry this past weekend. He did a great job and even went up and down the rather steep steps. Of course he had to see Orson go up and down first. :D

Ferry.jpg

What happened to Davis, the puppy! He's huge! Good job, Davis. You're almost ready to go to "big-boy-training!"