Making The Leap To 18 Nights @ Sea?

montanarose12

Happy New Year to you as well. Sorry to disillusion you, but I was an OOD and actually the Boat Division officer, Weaps. I had a second class bosun's mate who saved my patootie but couldn't keep it under control when he went ashore. A great guy but dysfunctional. He would have been at least a CPO if alcohol didn't get him every time.

On a carrier the lead uco was usually at least 1st class and more often CPO. Imagine some one as good as this guy never making it past 2nd class. My good luck!

Well, we went from a 7 day Baltic cruise on Regent to a 60 day cruise on Regent (4 segments of the WC). We loved being on the ship for 60 days! So many nice sea days intermixed with ports. Now, we have trouble finding cruises that aren't very port intensive. I doubt we would do a 7-10 day cruise again. It's just not worth all the work that goes into it plus with the shorter cruises, our body just starts to adjust to the time changes and then it's time to go home.

Karen

Sorry Don to go off topic. I will say sometimes it is fun as opposed to the vitriol that gets spread when defensive individuals-certainly not you-want to be totally drilled down.

At the risk of offending you, and I consider you a voice of reason on this board as I do Keith1010, I am going to continue to respond to AWED and pingpong.

Guys, I was on the Essex '64-'67. Essex was built in '43 and was the first of its class. She was well decorated in WW2 and Korea as well. Because there was no glamor name involved, despite the fact the first Essex was in the War of 1812, and it continues until today, it's not a name many Americans relate to. Still a name to be proud of:D

PS If you ever watch " the Bridges of Toko Ri a wonderful movie the carrier is the Essex. Ted Williams also flew off CV9

Best to all for the New Year

Well, we went from a 7 day Baltic cruise on Regent to a 60 day cruise on Regent (4 segments of the WC). We loved being on the ship for 60 days! So many nice sea days intermixed with ports. Now, we have trouble finding cruises that aren't very port intensive. I doubt we would do a 7-10 day cruise again. It's just not worth all the work that goes into it plus with the shorter cruises, our body just starts to adjust to the time changes and then it's time to go home.

Well Karen says it all, for us. Or at least almost. After the first week of all the fine, rich food, I feeling like one of those special geese being force-fed. I know I don't have to eat, and in fact we did skip meals or just have a salad, but still, all the fine dining starts feeling quite unappealing to me after a while.

Wendy, Sorry to hear your dissatisfaction, although I understand as DW had the same issue. Her solution was to order the simple always available dishes or to go to the Veggy menu. Never heard any complaints after that strategy.

Happy New Year; hope you enjoy even more:)

Wendy, my solution is an almost daily ration of a hot dog from Waves, and pasta a few nights per week ;). That's still within the bounds of Oceania foodie-ness, 'cause their hot dogs and pasta are great! Although, I'd still like Waves open at least one night a week with babyback ribs...

My solution to the food issue is to eat berries and smoked salmon for breakfast, salad for lunch most days, and avoid all the extra eating times if possible. I love that the portion sizes on regent are reasonable for the most part.

When we were on the 60 day cruise, I mostly ate from the Canyon Ranch selection at night. We had room service for breakfast every morning - usually just fruit and then had lunch, of course. I really liked the Canyon Ranch selection for dinner. And I did eat desserts quite frequently. We did do a lot of walking and I used the gym also. I gained 3 lbs over the 60 days and my husband lost 10 lbs. We did not starve!!!

Karen

It's easy to say you're going to be good, it's another thing to actually be good! As for me, I love the burgers at Waves. Not exactly diet food, of course. I guess I just don't have any willpower--it's very hard for me to walk by the dessert section without looking at those lovely little parfaits full of creme caramel or other such goodies!

Wendy, my solution is an almost daily ration of a hot dog from Waves, and pasta a few nights per week ;). That's still within the bounds of Oceania foodie-ness, 'cause their hot dogs and pasta are great! Although, I'd still like Waves open at least one night a week with babyback ribs...
....+1 for sure and plenty of sauce for the ribs...Beans :D& Slaw?

I have same breakfast at sea as I have at home: Bran cereal, light yogurt, berries, nuts, seeds etc. I confess, at sea I also have ONE Regent chocolate croissant - no one is perfect.

Lunch is BIG salad and grilled veggies and a tiny sweet and fruit

At dinner I usually eat vegetarian except at Prime7 and Signatures I fall off the veggie train.

I limit bread and potato VERY severely - NO butter ever!

(My eating habits are fairly new. Longest cruise we've been on was 35 days - loved it but was glad to get home. I was anxious to get the mail and drive again.)

Edited by TedC