Though not applicable to this specific situation (it's now after the fact), a tip to consider by all in the future: When there is predicted bad weather, many airlines will allow you to move up your flight to the day (or two) before, so as to reduce the number of potential passengers with delays/cancellations. In this case, though the booked flight was Saturday - you should see about getting out of Dodge on Friday, not waiting until Saturday for a day of departure standby. Even if you have to trudge to the airport to standby the day before, it can often be a better option.

Now, to answer the question in the thread title (How much snow does it take to cancel flights?):

One inch of snow -- if it's in San Juan.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Government Certified Expert"

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan