Is there a bad mini-suite on Norwegian Gem?

JazzItUp4u

Hello Everyone! My wife and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary aboard the Norwegian Gem this May. We originally booked a BX stateroom, but then received a room assignment which appeared to include a hull balcony. Called NCL and ended up paying for an upgrade to a BA stateroom (Mid Ship). A week or so went by and the rate for a guarantee mini suite was only $40 dollars more expensive than what we paid for the BA stateroom. We made the decision to pay the money to upgrade yet again, this time to the MX room.

To those who have experience with this ship (or one in its class).. Is this a solid decision? It said in the description that views can be obstructed in this category, but is that just standard wording.. or do they really have mini suites that have obstructed views? I am aware that there can be noisy spots in this category because of proximity to public areas, but we are not too concerned about that. We both sleep like the dead. Just want to make sure we didn't downgrade our view.

Right now the cost of a mid ship mini is about a $100 more than what I paid for the MX. Is it a good idea to pay for the mid ship? If I purchase this upgrade, will I be increasing or decreasing my chances for a call from the "up-sell fairy". I would really love to move up to the penthouse for this occasion, but the cost at rack rate is just too steep for us financially. (Difference of about $2000 for the stateroom) An up-sell price at about 50% of the difference would bring this into the realm of reality. Is this even a remote possibility? I thank you all in advance for your wisdom!

No, there are no balconies or minisuites with obstructed views. However there are several minisuites on Jewel class ships that I wouldn't book because of possible noise from above - for me those areas are especially below the sun deck area and buffet/Italian restaurant galleys.

We've stayed below the buffet dining area and Italian restaurant dining area and both were fine, also cabins under library, spa and game rooms are said to be quiet, when again cabin under the gym can be noisy.

No bad Mini-suites.

In my opinion that statement would be true if there were no complaints about any minisuites based on their location/noise level, but that is not the case.

Especially people that have had minisuites under galleys have complained about the noise generated by the prep work and cleaning at wee hours, personally I didn't like waking up under the pool deck (Jewel 11534) in the middle of the night when they dragged loungers etc while cleaning (steel drum band's music could also be heard clearly to the cabin but even if there was a party on the pool deck at least that ended around 10pm or 11pm).

Of course how much the noise disturbs is relative and personal, but I definitely wouldn't go as far as saying that there are absolutely no bad locations for minisuites on Jewel class ships.

Majority of minisuites are great with nothing to complain about but there are some that I'd call "bad" or at least "potentially bad" ones.

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks for the info everyone. I am thinking I am going to roll the dice and wait to see where they put us. Maybe I will get that elusive upsell call. If not, I am pretty confident we will be happy. From the sounds of things, the only two cabins listed as MX have a bit larger of a balcony. Doesn't sound like I can lose. Noise is nothing a pair of ear plugs can't fix. Again, I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

After much consideration, I called NCL this evening and I ended up "downgrading" to an aft balcony. It was originally my intention to upgrade to a mid ship mini suite after I saw the price drop, but ended up being sold on the aft stateroom. It actually cost $100 more for this stateroom than the MX mini suite guarantee ($60 more than the mid ship mini). I am not sure If I made the right decision, but it is done.

The room is #10668. From what I can tell, I traded space for a better view. It is only my wife and I, so I think we will be comfortable in a balcony room. Anyone with experience in both of these types of cabins? In your opinion, was this a good trade?

We were in cabin 11592 on the Gem and its right below the teen lounge. There is no supervision and the kids are jumping, running etc. until very late at night. It suppose to close at 1PM but we heard them past 2PM some night. Our neighbors on both sides had the same problem. Tough to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after all of the back and forth.. and changing our reservation four times... (God Bless our CC Robert Neyor.. He is a saint for putting up with us :D )We have booked the penthouse. We are so excited! Thank you all again for your responses. Unless we get a call with a crazy deal for a Haven suite.. This is where we will cruise for the first time in 10 years.

Edited by JazzItUp4u

You will really enjoy the extra perks you get for being in a suite. Make sure they are aware of it when you check in as the priority treatment starts there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Antsnanny.... THANK YOU for this post!!! I have been scouring these boards to see if anyone had the same horrible experience that my wife and I had on our honeymoon this past November (2017).

I realize this is 2 1/2 years later, but we had a terrible time with non-stop noise from above our cabin (11590) from the teen club Entourage. This was everyday for 11 days! We were miserable the whole trip. It didn’t matter what time of day and went on until 1 AM every morning.

The worst part..... while complaining every single day about this, I asked the manager on duty how many times they’d received complaints from guests in this cabin or near it, in the past. They lied straight to my face and said honestly sir, you’re the first. I realize also that this is just one other complaint but I would venture to guess that out of hundreds of thousands of passengers, a very small few would take the time to bother posting about it. Heck, it’s taken me over a month of attempting to contact NCL about the 3 separate complaints we filed and frustration to even think, hey, why don’t I start combing the Internet to see if I can find anyone with a similar issue or complaint.

I only wish I could find more posts like yours to back me up when I finally hear back from NCL (promised 15 business day response which never happened, then sat on hold today for 35 minutes, only to hear that it was “still under review” and I’d hopefully receive a response by the end of this week. I then said I didn’t want a response.... I wanted to speak to a person who I can discuss the situation with and come to a resolution, not receive a closed ended response that I can do nothing about.

q

We were in cabin 11592 on the Gem and its right below the teen lounge. There is no supervision and the kids are jumping, running etc. until very late at night. It suppose to close at 1PM but we heard them past 2PM some night. Our neighbors on both sides had the same problem. Tough to sleep.

No, there are no balconies or minisuites with obstructed views. However there are several minisuites on Jewel class ships that I wouldn't book because of possible noise from above - for me those areas are especially below the sun deck area and buffet/Italian restaurant galleys.

We've stayed below the buffet dining area and Italian restaurant dining area and both were fine, also cabins under library, spa and game rooms are said to be quiet, when again cabin under the gym can be noisy.

Spot on - well said. I'll only add that I've found every Deck 11 cabin to be noisy. If not under the Garden Cafe, then you have to deal with the deck chairs being stacked, the deck power washed, and the chairs returned early in the morning.I booked a regular balcony on a lower deck to avoid the noise.