What exactly is Pol Acker?

Traveler Nina

I dread spilling even a drop of Pol in my cabin; I'm sure it would be similar to the scene from Alien where the liquid burns through the floor and drips down and down, leaving a hole through three or four decks, dissolving and consuming all in its way :eek: .

So the best idea is; take no chances, do not open it.

(thought; how does it not melt its way out through the bottle? :confused: )

Edited by pepperrn

It would be interesting to hear what Cunard thoughts are about the quality of this drink? Just one more question do the Grill get the same welcome bottle?:rolleyes:
As Host Hattie says, yes (with champagne in QG, not sure about PG?).

Twice I've cruised whilst in Queens Grill (QM2 & QE), both times a full bottle of champagne and a full bottle of Pol Acker awaited me in the cabin (champers in the ice bucket, Pol to one side).

It would be interesting to hear what Cunard thoughts are about the quality of this drink? Just one more question do the Grill get the same welcome bottle?:rolleyes:

Yes, every guest on Cunard, regardless of stateroom/suite category will receive a bottle of Pol Acker ( or half bottle for those not a repeat guest)

Whatever anyone thinks about Pol Acker if this welcome bottle was ever to be removed, there would be an uproar !

I personally don't drink the stuff, but many satisfied guests do, as often they'll mix it with something. It's always a nice welcome to see a bottle in an ice bucket as one opens the stateroom door on embarkation ! Far better than some cruise lines, where one has to juggle a glass of warm something immediately on embarkation in the lobby, and at the same time try holding onto our carry- on luggage.

For those who have a problem with the Pol Acker, either hand it back to your steward, pass it onto you next door neighbour or do something usfull with it, e.g. give it to the local village fete or Christmas Raffle.

I aways find a use for it, My gardener can't wait for me to do another Cunard cruise.;)

Yes, every guest on Cunard, regardless of stateroom/suite category will receive a bottle of Pol Acker ( or half bottle for those not a repeat guest)

Whatever anyone thinks about Pol Acker if this welcome bottle was ever to be removed, there would be an uproar !

I personally don't drink the stuff, but many satisfied guests do, as often they'll mix it with something. It's always a nice welcome to see a bottle in an ice bucket as one opens the stateroom door on embarkation ! Far better than some cruise lines, where one has to juggle a glass of warm something immediately on embarkation in the lobby, and at the same time try holding onto our carry- on luggage.

For those who have a problem with the Pol Acker, either hand it back to your steward, pass it onto you next door neighbour or do something usfull with it, e.g. give it to the local village fete or Christmas Raffle.

I aways find a use for it, My gardener can't wait for me to do another Cunard cruise.;)

I would not give that to my Gardener, I pop down to Waitrose and buy a bottle of Veuve for her. !

I wouldn’t give it to anyone that I want to remain in good standing with! Lol.

It’s true though that if Cunard ever took it away, there would be a huge uproar and it is a nice welcome to the cabin. Just don’t drink it!

Celebrity’s welcome house champagne is much better, but still not great by any means.

For those who have a problem with the Pol Acker, either hand it back to your steward, pass it onto you next door neighbour or do something usfull with it, e.g. give it to the local village fete or Christmas Raffle

This is the perfect set up for a Midsomer Murder plot! :evilsmile:

• Like 1

Great and funny comments about the " wonderful Pol Acker"- i always give it to some tablemates or some who appreciate the bubbly- maybe I should take it home- to use it to get rid of rust and things like that!

It can get rid of the Norovirus.

Or cause it....

Pol Acker. Is it from Poland?

We must have been really bad in a previous life because we got not one but two bottles of the stuff last week in our QV stateroom !!

Or good. Depends on whether you have paintbrushes to clean or not.

Ever wondered why they only offer watercolour art classes? If they would do oil paintings, everyone would bring the PA to class.;p

I'm going to be a bit more pragmatic - Coming from someone who given a choice would go for a red wine (pretty much any red wine > £5 a bottle) in preference to (any) champagne all I can say is that real Champagne and Pol Acker are both drinkable! I wouldn't buy a bottle of either for myself ... but If I had too ... then I would buy the Pol Acker over the Champagne, save a bit of money and get a nice bottle of red with the change ;-)

Well all I can say is that if the comments on here (and other threads on this Cunard board) are anything to go by, then I am seriously concerned over the quality of anything provided as part of my cruise fare and delivered by Cunard for my forthcoming trial of the line. And that is exactly what it is in my view, a trial of what the line can offer me as a discerning cruiser of 6 different lines and 28 cruises over 14 years. So by no means a ‘newbie’ to this kind of leisure activity.

Edited by peteukmcr

Well all I can say is that if the comments on here (and other threads on this Cunard board) are anything to go by, then I am seriously concerned over the quality of anything provided as part of my cruise fare and delivered by Cunard for my forthcoming trial of the line. And that is exactly what it is in my view, a trial of what the line can offer me as a discerning cruiser of 6 different lines and 28 cruises over 14 years. So by no means a ‘newbie’ to this kind of leisure activity.

The Pol Acker is drinkable if you drown it in the orange juice that you can help yourself to from the buffet. Please note the use of the word drown :D:D

A wise man (or woman or furry creature from Alpha Centauri) once put a comforting message in large friendly letters on the cover of a guidebook: DON'T PANIC.

Cunard is a fine line in general, but they don't hand out Champagne if you just pay for a Château Migraine.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a look at a bottle of paint stripper I obtained in spring. It states "Produced in France by CFGV 67160 Wissembourg/France". Have a look at their Website http://www.caves-wissembourg.com if you like. One of their Blanc de Blancs would set you back about € 2.20.

By the way, Alsace is known for having the largest wine cellars in Europe - outside the Republic of Moldova. Having tasted Alsatian wine, I started to understand why Alsace is home to 75% of France's breweries. ;)

• 1 year later...