Princess Embarcation Times?

DennisNV

Hi All. DW and I are taking our first Princess cruise in a few weeks. We've mostly sailed HAL and we're really excited to try another line! We're sailing from San Pedro to the Mexican Riviera on the Emerald on November 5th.

I noticed our boarding docs specify a boarding time of 1 to 3 PM. HAL just states when boarding starts and when the ship sails on our previous cruises. We like to board early and have lunch in the MDR. Will we not be allowed to board earlier than the assigned time?

Thanks!

Dennis

Hi All. DW and I are taking our first Princess cruise in a few weeks. We've mostly sailed HAL and we're really excited to try another line! We're sailing from San Pedro to the Mexican Riviera on the Emerald on November 5th.

I noticed our boarding docs specify a boarding time of 1 to 3 PM. HAL just states when boarding starts and when the ship sails on our previous cruises. We like to board early and have lunch in the MDR. Will we not be allowed to board earlier than the assigned time?

Thanks!

Dennis

Arrive at the port somewhere around 11am, maybe a little sooner. Once you go through security and check in you will be shown upstairs to a waiting area. There you will be grouped in order of arrival. Boarding normally begins around noon or maybe a little sooner with priority boarders followed by the groups in order of arrival. Once boarding begins it goes quickly and you should be on board by 12:30. Go directly to your cabin it will be ready. One DR is open for lunch from noon to 1:30. This DR is shown on the back page of the Princess Patter which will be in you cabin or cabin's mailbox.

As others have mentioned, you will be able to board outside of the time frame they gave you. They were strict about that at one point in time but it was total chaos and some passengers complained.

If the ship is not quite ready for boarding, you will be asked to take a seat and will be given a number for boarding. The BVE passengers and any special groups (such as wedding parties) will be allowed to board first, followed by the suite passengers, elite passengers and then general boarding by number. But, that is only if you are required to wait.

Check-in usually starts between 10:30-11am and boarding can start any time after 11:15am although usually, it’s closer to Noon. First to board are those in-transit (taking back-to-back) cruises; then BVE (Bon Voyage Experience, those who pay $39/pp to board the ship for the day and don’t sail); then Elite (Captain’s Circle highest loyalty level); the Platinum (next highest); and then general boarding in the order in which you check in. It goes pretty quickly, depending on how many Elite and Platinum passengers are boarding. Chances are good you’ll be in your cabin and starting your cruise by 12:30pm.

As others have said, the boarding times in your documents are a suggestion only. The only exception I'm aware of is if you receive a separate message stating that boarding is being delayed for some specific reason - could be a required deep cleaning or unanticipated inspection. If that's the case, they will enforce the later boarding time.

We got to port at 10:00 am and were in general boarding group 2 eating lunch by 12:30. They had those of us who got there early sit left and then general boarding for our deck was right so we weren't in the first group. But still early!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When do the lines usually thin out? We will be taking a cruise to Hawaii and since we have lots of days at sea I'm not as interesting in being first on board and would rather get through without waiting in line.

I would think most places after 1pm. By 2pm should be a ghost town in the check-in area.

When do the lines usually thin out? We will be taking a cruise to Hawaii and since we have lots of days at sea I'm not as interesting in being first on board and would rather get through without waiting in line.

Princess has embarkation down to an art form. Even at the busiest times the lines keep moving. Most times embarkation begin at 11:30 AM. Just go with it. Have a great trip!

I think by 2pm you will be fine.

Tony

Thanks!

Dennis

We are taking this cruise in Feb. I'd love to hear anything you are willing to share when you get back. Both the itinerary and ship are new to us.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app