My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

TBK... Thank you very much for continuing to post your information and pictures. My wife and I are heading back to FP later this month for two weeks, one of which will be spent on the PG. It's our first cruise with them. I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and hope that you will continue as you have time.

Thank you both for the kudos ....

Here is the link to the large file of the Belevdere view and yes that is the Paul Gauguin in Cook's Bay on the right: https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-Cpsz9kQ/0/889e13c4/X5/Moorea%201-X5.jpg

Here are a few more taken in the Bays on Moorea ...

ship%20in%20Cooks%20bay%20%284%20of%207%29-XL.jpg

PG%20in%20a%20bay%20on%20Moorea%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

ship%20in%20Cooks%20bay%20%287%20of%207%29-XL.jpg

entering%20Cooks%20Bay%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

PG%20in%20cooks%20bay%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Final%20%20%281%20of%202%29-XL.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Lets continue on our journey ....

As you return to Opunohu Bay turn to your left on to the main road. As you continue along the western side of the bay you will have more incredible views of The Paul Gauguin if she is anchored here. As you get close to the opening of the reef You will arrive at Papetoal. There is a small market on the corner called Magasin Rene. Turn right here and you will come to the tender drop off location for the Paul Gauguin. Moorea recently completed a nice addition to the tender location. There are several vendors that sell local work of art as well as some vendors who may be for hire.

There is also a round church located here. On Sunday we've gone to church here and enjoyed the worship in their local language, just beautiful. From the tender drop off location if you look back toward the mountains and just a bit to the left you will see Magic Mountain, the place where vendors take you when you are doing the quad runners or ATV's. Incredible views form up there.

As you continue on the main road you will arrive at one of the very best places to eat on the island, Snack Mahana. Can get very busy at lunch so I would suggest either an early lunch or late lunch. The food here is very good and priced very reasonably for FP. The Poison Cru is to die for as is the Mahi Mahi ... fresh. You do no go here for the 5 star setting, you go here for the the food, the locals and to enjoy the lagoon as you sit under a giant tree.

Continue on and you will come to the Coco Beach transfer point.

IMG_3405-X2.jpg

This is one of the places where you can snag a boat shuttle out ot the motus and the restaurant. The picture gives the details for you.

Continue on and you will arrive at the Intercontinental Moorea Resort. On the left side of the road is a market. During lunch time they have 'plates' like you wiuld get in Hawaii. For around $12 bucks you can enjoy a hot lunch that isn't to bad.

Go into the Intercontinental and park. I've stayed here several times and it's a great place if you want a resort that offers many things to do and if your traveling with kids under 14 this is the best of the big four resorts on Moorea to stay. You have a very nice pool area, large beach area, inner lagoon area which is very safe with toddlers, the turtle sactuary and of course Dolphin Quest. The food is good though a bit pricy but this is true of any of the major resorts.

Here is a layout of the resort with a few added items to help you out.

IC%20Moorea%20map.jpg

My lunch the last time I stopped by ....

lunch%20at%20IC%20Moorea%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

A beautify turtle at the sactuary .....

Turtle%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

The inner lagoon ... pix 1

Intercontintential%20Resort%20Moorea%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Pix 2

IC%20Moorea%20%2811%20of%2012%29-XL.jpg

More pictures of the resort to come ....

Lets continue on our journey around Moorea ....

Leaving the IC Moorea and going to your right you will come to Tahiti Aromes within about 1/4 mile. This is a great place to buy high quality vanilla either in the bottle or beans. I usually buy my beans here by the kilo, yes a kilo. Thy will vacuum seal the beans so you will have no problem going through customs.

vanilla%20place.jpg

vanilla-XL.jpg

And my personal recipe for making your own vanilla ;)

vaniila%20recipe.jpg

Continuing on you will shortly arrive at Les Tipaniers ....

les%20tipaniers%20%284%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Les Tipaniers has a wonderful dinner restaurant and is a place to stay if your looking for basic but clean rooms on a wonderful beach with easy access to the motus. Les Tipaniers is frequented by the French who come here and stay for weeks at a time.

Others have no idea that the beach cafe is good and faily priced and view is outstanding. The place is well ran and the help very friendly. Have eaten here at least a half dozen times, always solid.

les%20tipaniers%20%283%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Thank you for the vanilla bean recipe, will buy some and make it now! Excellent info! The photos above are sooooo beautiful, we are off to Fiji's Manamuca and Yasawa islands and if they're anything like this we'll be in heaven[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the vanilla bean recipe, will buy some and make it now! Excellent info! The photos above are sooooo beautiful, we are off to Fiji's Manamuca and Yasawa islands and if they're anything like this we'll be in heaven[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your welcome :)

Glad to be of help .... much more tips and pictures coming over the next few months. With so many trips there is much information and pictures ;)

Another tip for the day ....

The buses on Moorea run on the ferry schedule. When a ferry arrives there are 2 buses, one goes in each direction on the island and meet up at Le Petite Village, the approximate half way point. About an hour prior to the next ferry departure the buses leave Le Petite Village and meet up at the ferry terminal. Now the big tip ..... do you know how to have the bus stop and pick up up along the side of the road? Easy enough, you take a few rocks along with a palm branch and place the branch at the edge of the road, then place the rocks on top of the branch. The driver will see the marker and stop. Or you could simpply wave your arms and hope for the best but I just gave you the long running 'official' way of having the bus stop for you.

On one trip my BH and I took the bus from the ferry terminal and headed to our lodging for the trip, the IC. Sure it was a bit tough loading our bags but what a great way to meet the locals and the neat thing is you get to know secrets that are not found in the travel books. Things can change quickly in FP, having the locals give you current recommendations is great :)

The fare one-way is FCFP 300. The first bus leaves Vaiare (wharf) at 5 am, the last bus leaves at 4:45 pm.

For the ferry schedule:

www.aremiti.pf

www.facebook.com/TerevauTahiti

Thank you so much for sharing your insights and amazing photos. We are planning our first trip to FP in 2019 for our 40th anniversary! We love the water and snorkel whenever we can so an OWB at the Hilton for us! :D

Wonderful OWB's at the Hilton, have stayed there. Snorkeling is very food right off your deck.

More tips and photos coming.

Lets continue on ....

After leaving Les Tipaniers you will come to Le Petite Village. Here you will find an ATM, gas station, grocery store, a few places to eat and a few clothing stores.

A few of the better known restaurants are Le Mayflower and La Plantation. However, a hidden gem is a place called A L'Heure du Sud. This is sort of a roulotte. Fish is fresh and pretty much everything is good. Prices are very reasonable. Sit at the counter or there are a few tables on the side.

IMG_1948-XL.jpg

Another cheap place that knocks out pretty good food is Poulet Roti. In the evening you can grab a whole chicken cooked on a spit along with a few sides for around $20 USD.

IMG_1949-X2.jpg

Continuing south from the Le Petite Village area you will come to the giant Polynesian statue. You can't miss it .... Great place for a photo! Close by is Tiki Village which is a fun place to stop and learn about Polynesian culture. They do a combo ticket here for the cultural center as well as the evening dinner/show. Cultural stuff is good, the show decent but the food only average. Best to eat somewhere along the way and then just pay for the show.

cultural%20center%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Continuing on our journey you will come to a grocery store on the mountain side of the road then shortly you will come to Pizza Daniel. We've eaten here a few times and it was very good.

IMG_1952-XL.jpg

Yes a real brick oven!

food%20final%20%281%20of%206%29.jpg

Your on Moorea ... an island where pineapple is incredible. Do the 'Hawaiian' (ham and pineapple) ... a few beers and for around $20 USD you've had a great lunch. We split a pizza and were full ... this is my half ...

food%20final%20%285%20of%206%29.jpg

I'll continue the journey on Monday ...

Some of these pictures were taken in trips prior to us taking a 'good' camera. Big difference between a 1 MP pictures and a 22 MP picture but there is good info to glean ....

A few pictures I missed along our journey around the north side of Moorea ...

Ma Poulette has yummy chicken. She is usually in the parking lot close to Carmelines or at the entrance to the public beach close to the Sofitel. $20 and you have dinner for two ...

food%20final%20%283%20of%206%29.jpg

Carmelines

food%20final%20%284%20of%206%29.jpg

A crepe for the Hilton ....

food%20final%20%286%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

Taken at the Intercontinetal Resort on Moorea ... this was straight out of the Camera. You may reconize the picture ... it's part of the 2018 Paul Gauguin brochure cover :)

IMG_0145-XL.jpg

My BH Zelle getting filled up with Vanilla from the place I mention over by the IC.

Found a few more from Moorea that I've never shared ...

The Paul Gauguin sitting in the bay ...

For a large view click here: https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-Nm6jR77/0/ce0773b5/X4/Moorea%20%281%20of%203%29-X4.jpg

Moorea%20%281%20of%203%29-XL.jpg

Turtle rescue at the IC Moorea ...

For a larger view click here: https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-FhDStjN/0/34414828/X4/Moorea%20%282%20of%203%29-X4.jpg

Moorea%20%282%20of%203%29-XL.jpg

The beach area at the IC Moorea ...

For a larger look click here: https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-TPsrdH3/0/0d80c869/X4/Moorea%20%283%20of%203%29-X4.jpg

Moorea%20%283%20of%203%29-XL.jpg

Some of the better snorkeling areas under the OWB's at the Manava Resort on Moorea ...

Under oom 410

under%20room%20%23410-XL.jpg

Under room 418 ...

under%20%23418-XL.jpg

Under room 426 ...

under%20%23426-XL.jpg

Tomorrow and start on the island of Tahiti ...

As I start on the island of Tahiti let me share some common words used in French Polynesia ... thanks to Donna Heiderstadt :)

• Yes: E – pronounced ay, not as the English long vowel sound
  • No: Aita – pronounced eye-tah
  • Big: Nui – pronounced new-ee
  • Small: Iti – pronounced ee-tee
  • Look: A hi’o – pronounced ah-hee-oh
  • Come here: Haere mai – pronounced ha-ay-ray my
  • Let’s go: Haere tatou – pronounced ha-ay-ray tah-taw

• What? Eaha? – pronounced ey-ah-hah
  • Why? No te aha? – pronounced noh-tay ah-hah
  • Happy: Oa'oa – pronounced oh-ah oh-ah
  • Good: Maita'i – pronounced may-tay
  • No problem: Aita pe’a pe’a – pronounced eye-tah pay-ah pay-ah

Greetings, Courtesies and Salutations

• Hello: Ia Ora na – pronounced yo-rah-nah
  • Welcome: Maeva – pronounced mah-ay-vah. This word isn't quite the same as the basic greeting of "hello." It's typically used when you're welcoming someone into your home, room or space.
  • Goodbye: Nana – pronounced nah-nah
  • Thank you: Mauru’ uru – pronounced mah-roo-roo
  • How are you? Maita’i oe? – pronounced may-tay oh-ay
  • I am fine: Maita’i roa – pronounced may-tay ro-ah
  • Cheers! Manuia! – pronounced mah-new-yah

People

• Man: Tane – pronounced tah-nay
  • Woman: Vahine – pronounced vah-he-nay
  • Child: Tamarii – pronounced tah-ma-ree-ee
  • Friend: Hoa – pronounced ho-ah
  • Polynesian: Ma' ohi – pronounced mah-o-hee

Times of Day

• Morning: Poipoi – pronounced poy-poy
  • Evening: Ahiahi – pronounced ah-hee-ah-hee

Places, Locations and Businesses

• Island: Motu – pronounced mo-too
  • Ocean: Moana – pronounced mo-ah-nah
  • House: Fare – pronounced fah-ray
  • Bank: Fare Moni – pronounced fah-ray moh-nee
  • Store: Fare Toa – pronounced fah-ray toe-ah
  • Church: Fare Pure – pronounced fah-ray poor-ray
  • Post Office: Fare Rata – pronounced fah-ray rah-tah
  • Hospital: Fare Ma'i – pronounced fah-ray may
  • Doctor: Taote – pronounced tah-oh-tay
  • Police: Muto'i – pronounced moo-toh-ee

Food and Beverages

• Food: Ma’a – pronounced mah-ah
  • Water: Pape – pronounced pa-pay
  • Bread: Faraoa – pronounced fah-rah-o-ah
  • Beer: Pia – pronounced pee-ah
  • Earth Oven: Himaa – pronounced hee-mah-ah

Sightseeing and Things of Interest

• Pearl: Poe – pronounced po-ay
  • Black pearl: Poerava – pronounced po-ay ra-vah

• Cloth wrap: Pareu – pronounced pa-ray-oh
  • Flower: Tiare – pronounced tee-ah-ray
  • Drum: Pahu – pronounced pah-hu
  • Ancient temple: Marae – pronounced mah-ray
  • Song: Himene – pronounced hee-meh-nay
  • Stone statue: Tiki – pronounced tee-kee
  • Feast: Tamaaraa – pronounced ta-mah-rah

The Heavens

• Sun: Mahana – pronounced ma-ha-nah
  • Moon: Avae – pronounced ah-vay-ay
  • Star: Fatia – pronounced fah-tee-ah

As I start on the island of Tahiti let me share some common words used in French Polynesia ... thanks to Donna Heiderstadt :)

• Yes: E – pronounced ay, not as the English long vowel sound
  • No: Aita – pronounced eye-tah
  • Big: Nui – pronounced new-ee
  • Small: Iti – pronounced ee-tee
  • Look: A hi’o – pronounced ah-hee-oh
  • Come here: Haere mai – pronounced ha-ay-ray my
  • Let’s go: Haere tatou – pronounced ha-ay-ray tah-taw

• What? Eaha? – pronounced ey-ah-hah
  • Why? No te aha? – pronounced noh-tay ah-hah
  • Happy: Oa'oa – pronounced oh-ah oh-ah
  • Good: Maita'i – pronounced may-tay
  • No problem: Aita pe’a pe’a – pronounced eye-tah pay-ah pay-ah

Greetings, Courtesies and Salutations

• Hello: Ia Ora na – pronounced yo-rah-nah
  • Welcome: Maeva – pronounced mah-ay-vah. This word isn't quite the same as the basic greeting of "hello." It's typically used when you're welcoming someone into your home, room or space.
  • Goodbye: Nana – pronounced nah-nah
  • Thank you: Mauru’ uru – pronounced mah-roo-roo
  • How are you? Maita’i oe? – pronounced may-tay oh-ay
  • I am fine: Maita’i roa – pronounced may-tay ro-ah
  • Cheers! Manuia! – pronounced mah-new-yah

People

• Man: Tane – pronounced tah-nay
  • Woman: Vahine – pronounced vah-he-nay
  • Child: Tamarii – pronounced tah-ma-ree-ee
  • Friend: Hoa – pronounced ho-ah
  • Polynesian: Ma' ohi – pronounced mah-o-hee

Times of Day

• Morning: Poipoi – pronounced poy-poy
  • Evening: Ahiahi – pronounced ah-hee-ah-hee

Places, Locations and Businesses

• Island: Motu – pronounced mo-too
  • Ocean: Moana – pronounced mo-ah-nah
  • House: Fare – pronounced fah-ray
  • Bank: Fare Moni – pronounced fah-ray moh-nee
  • Store: Fare Toa – pronounced fah-ray toe-ah
  • Church: Fare Pure – pronounced fah-ray poor-ray
  • Post Office: Fare Rata – pronounced fah-ray rah-tah
  • Hospital: Fare Ma'i – pronounced fah-ray may
  • Doctor: Taote – pronounced tah-oh-tay
  • Police: Muto'i – pronounced moo-toh-ee

Food and Beverages

• Food: Ma’a – pronounced mah-ah
  • Water: Pape – pronounced pa-pay
  • Bread: Faraoa – pronounced fah-rah-o-ah
  • Beer: Pia – pronounced pee-ah
  • Earth Oven: Himaa – pronounced hee-mah-ah

Sightseeing and Things of Interest

• Pearl: Poe – pronounced po-ay
  • Black pearl: Poerava – pronounced po-ay ra-vah

• Cloth wrap: Pareu – pronounced pa-ray-oh
  • Flower: Tiare – pronounced tee-ah-ray
  • Drum: Pahu – pronounced pah-hu
  • Ancient temple: Marae – pronounced mah-ray
  • Song: Himene – pronounced hee-meh-nay
  • Stone statue: Tiki – pronounced tee-kee
  • Feast: Tamaaraa – pronounced ta-mah-rah

The Heavens

• Sun: Mahana – pronounced ma-ha-nah
  • Moon: Avae – pronounced ah-vay-ay
  • Star: Fatia – pronounced fah-tee-ah

This is great! I was just wondering what I can focus on over the next seven months now that I have all my excursions figured out.

Mauru’ uru,

Doug

I just came across 100's more photos we took in 2007, 2009, 2011 & 2012 .... most on the island of Moorea ...... so I'll be adding more pictures of Moorea ....

Here is one taken in 2012 from the Blue Pineapple cafe located at the Club Bali Hai, one of our favorite places to relax and take in the beauty of Cook's Bay. On the lower right is Saint Joseph's Catholic Church. On the left is Mount Bali Hai with the top shrouded in clouds.

Cooks%20Bay%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Pancakes American style with Log Cabin syrup. $5 bucks USD

Cooks%20Bay%20%281%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

Polynesian donuts $3 bucks USD .... they are huge

Cooks%20Bay%20%282%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

My BH likes to play with her food ...

Cooks%20Bay%20%283%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

The Blue Pineapple ...

Cooks%20Bay%20%284%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

The famed Bali Hai Boys ... the inventors of the Over Water Bunglow ...

Cooks%20Bay%20%286%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

FYI .... that is a picture of the original Bali Hai which is where the Manava Resort now sits, prior to the Manava it was the Pearl Beach Resort.