NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Had trouble finding the website to sign up for another card earlier today but Diana68 heard my plee and responded with the correct location. Some of the other links are no longer available. https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=FAAH6C&mc=A0000028IT

Last time I paid off most of my cruise minus the $500 credit I was hoping to earn and a couple hundred dollars ahead to get to my certificate early enough to send it for my final payment. Wanted to leave a small balance just in case the price dropped...it didn't.

Important warning...if you pay online make yourself aware of BOA cutoff times. When I went in to pay my first payment I had to pay a $12 charge to get the payment there on time. Alternative was for it to be a day late and for them to charge a $39 fee. :eek: Now I sometimes pay the minimum (or something) when the bill arrives and the rest by the due date. I'm also one of those people that pay off my cards in full every month but I charge for the points or money or free airline tickets. :D

Had trouble finding the website to sign up for another card earlier today but Diana68 heard my plee and responded with the correct location. Some of the other links are no longer available. https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=FAAH6C&mc=A0000028IT

Last time I paid off most of my cruise minus the $500 credit I was hoping to earn and a couple hundred dollars ahead to get to my certificate early enough to send it for my final payment. Wanted to leave a small balance just in case the price dropped...it didn't.

Important warning...if you pay online make yourself aware of BOA cutoff times. When I went in to pay my first payment I had to pay a $12 charge to get the payment there on time. Alternative was for it to be a day late and for them to charge a $39 fee. :eek: Now I sometimes pay the minimum (or something) when the bill arrives and the rest by the due date. I'm also one of those people that pay off my cards in full every month but I charge for the points or money or free airline tickets. :D

Also, if you pay online I was told that I can only make 3 online payments per billing cycle. Others on here state they make many more payments each month than this, but I haven't been able to and was told by an online billing rep that the max is 3.

I guess my reasoning in asking this was because I might not have the 500 points by the time the final payment is due, but should be getting them soon after. So if I make the final payment in October, but my 500 points don't accure until say November, can I then cash in the points?

I was in the same predictament last year. Took a chance and mailed my certs in about 3 weeks after I made my final payment. It took NCL 6 weeks to credit back to my card, and then, they split it up into two weird amounts (like $286 & $714) and credited the smaller amount to my card, and the larger amount to the person I was sharing my cabin with. (We each used our own cards for deposits and final payments). It was a mess. Long story short, instead of having NCL screw it all up even worse, I let it go and just collected the $714 from my roommate. So, bottom line, it will probably turn out ok, but there could be snags like I had.

Beside the base cost of a cabin, can the $500 certificates be used to cover any other costs associated with the cruise -- i.e., taxes, port charges, travel insurance and airfare?

I believe the short answer is yes.

The certificates can be used to pay all but the deposit for anything on your original booking confirmation from NCL. That would include port fees, taxes, NCL booked air and NCL purchased insurance as far as I know.

I was just about to send a personal check to pay off my car loan, can I use one of the BOA checks I get with my NCL credit card to pay it off to get reward points?

I guess I am asking if one earns reward points when using the checks.

I was just about to send a personal check to pay off my car loan, can I use one of the BOA checks I get with my NCL credit card to pay it off to get reward points?

I guess I am asking if one earns reward points when using the checks.

You will NOT earn points for cash advance checks written off your account, only for actual charges.

That said, see if you can pay with credit card, sometimes you can.

My parents will be going on a NCL cruise to the Baltics. Their excursions will be approximately $1200 for the 2 of them.

Can I purchase onboard credit certificates for them on my NCL card ahead of time? I assume I will get the 4%. Is there a limit of how much OBC certificates you can purchase for one cabin?

Sounds like a plan to me. My daughter called NCL and put some money on our onboard account a few years ago as a gift. They wouldn't send her a certificate so she made her own and NCL had one telling us about the credit when we got to our cabin.

Also, if you pay online I was told that I can only make 3 online payments per billing cycle. Others on here state they make many more payments each month than this, but I haven't been able to and was told by an online billing rep that the max is 3.

I have made as many as 6 payments online. I hate to see a balance get TOO high! Yes I know its stupid not to use the float. but the answer is you absolutely can make more than 3 without any penalty!

Remember , if you are running late on making a payment , you can allways drop it off at any BOA branch( within 24 hours of 5pm due date , no charge) .. I find myself doing that often because they are slow to mail out my statement. I ussually only have 1 week ..:eek:

mpk

I have a question.. After you hit 1000 points within a given year is that it untill your anniversary comes around again ? Or do the points earned after that start with a new 12 month clock ? Im afraid I know the answer.:(

Thanks anyway.

MPK

It is the anniversary date of when you started. And here's another small item about which we were given incorrect information from MBNA a couple of years ago.

Our account began on Sept. 9. When I inquired if we could begin charging on Sept. 1 of the following year I was told, "yes." That is wrong. You have to wait until after the statement date of your card. In our case, we were allowed to start charging and earning points in our second year on Sept. 9.

We had already charged several hundred dollars the beginning of September and believe me, I went up the chain of command at MBNA without getting those points put on our card. I still love the card and we have really taken advantage of our points, but, as always, BUYER BEWARD AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK;)

Kathy

It is the anniversary date of when you started. And here's another small item about which we were given incorrect information from MBNA a couple of years ago.

Our account began on Sept. 9. When I inquired if we could begin charging on Sept. 1 of the following year I was told, "yes." That is wrong. You have to wait until after the statement date of your card. In our case, we were allowed to start charging and earning points in our second year on Sept. 9.

We had already charged several hundred dollars the beginning of September and believe me, I went up the chain of command at MBNA without getting those points put on our card. I still love the card and we have really taken advantage of our points, but, as always, BUYER BEWARD AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK;)

Kathy

Thanks for that info. I have just requested a second card. I guess thats the only way.

mpk

How does the upgrade work.We have a balcony room.I am trying to get 500 points for the discount but don't know if I'll make it. So if I paid for a balcony (3 People) do they send me $$back?? :confused:

From Preds first post:

Points Stateroom Upgrades (generally NOT considered a wise use of points)

100 - One category upgrade for first person in stateroom

200 - One category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

300 - Two category upgrade for first person and one category upgrade for second person in stateroom

400 - Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

If you want to use points for an upgrade, you order the certs for the amount you want (that corresponds to the upgrade you want). You DO NOT order the $500 cert for the upgrade. NCL will not credit you back for the difference of the $500 cert if you use it towards an upgrade.

From Preds first post:

Points Stateroom Upgrades (generally NOT considered a wise use of points)

100 - One category upgrade for first person in stateroom

200 - One category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

300 - Two category upgrade for first person and one category upgrade for second person in stateroom

400 - Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

If you want to use points for an upgrade, you order the certs for the amount you want (that corresponds to the upgrade you want). You DO NOT order the $500 cert for the upgrade. NCL will not credit you back for the difference of the $500 cert if you use it towards an upgrade.

If I've paid for a balcony room and order the upgrade points will i get any of my money credited to my onboard acct or on my credit card?

If I've paid for a balcony room and order the upgrade points will i get any of my money credited to my onboard acct or on my credit card?

Don't think so; If you order an upgrade cert, you would use it towards a higher balcony category than you booked.

Which number do you call to redeem your points? I can't get through to anyone that can help me!! I have this number written down from when we did it last year but they say they're not doing it now!

As I posted in the 2nd post of this thread:

To Redeem certificates:

Call the # on the back of the card (it should be 800 421-2110)

Ask the rep. if they're familiar with the Compass Rewards program, if they are, it should be a breeze, if not, you may be better off calling again till you get a rep who is familiar with the program.

Certificates come via regular mail, usually within 1-2 weeks, but to be safe, generally request at least 3-4 weeks before final payment is due.

One of the early posts mentioned something about needing to be in the room for the certificate to be used.

My parents are looking to go on a cruise next August (2008) and I was hoping to work up points towards either an upgrade for them, or $ off their cruise. Is this not possible?

One of the early posts mentioned something about needing to be in the room for the certificate to be used.

My parents are looking to go on a cruise next August (2008) and I was hoping to work up points towards either an upgrade for them, or $ off their cruise. Is this not possible?

The certificates are not transferable. At least one authorized cardmember must be staying in the room to use a certificate.

I'd check this out with BOA first but what if you were to request an extra card in your Mom's name? My friend did this with an airline card and her sister. Sis was going to pay for trip w/cash but needed to be listed on the card to book her cabin since they were not traveling together. My friend got the points and her sister paid her the cash for the CC bill. :D

We have used the NCL redemption many times. I'm a bit surprised that it arrived that quickly. In the past, we could Fed X for $35 to get the docs in 1 week service but the norm for regular redemption was 6 weeks. I would be hesitant to say this is standard operating procedure.