NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Is there a way to use the credit card and get points to pay for purchases from places that don't accept credit cards? What I am specifically thinking is that it would be nice to pay for my morgage each month with this card. Unfortunatly my morgage company does not accept credit cards for payment. I thought I remembered reading somewhere in another post a year or two back where there was a specific type of check you could request for this. Any ideas?

Keith

Is there a way to use the credit card and get points to pay for purchases from places that don't accept credit cards? What I am specifically thinking is that it would be nice to pay for my morgage each month with this card. Unfortunatly my morgage company does not accept credit cards for payment. I thought I remembered reading somewhere in another post a year or two back where there was a specific type of check you could request for this. Any ideas?

Keith

Very rairly do convenience checks and/or cash advance checks earn point/rewards and if they did, the points/reward is usually negated because of the cost (transaction fee) of using these type of checks.

AFAIK, BOA does not award points for these, so this won't work with the NCL card.

Hi Kaitlin: We wanted to use some of our points to pay for part of two other cabins which are in our kids' name. I added each of them to our credit card as authorized users, asked to have our certificates mailed to us, sent them in with the reservation numbers from the kids reservation, waited for the credit from certificates to hit, then removed them as authorized users. It all took less than six weeks.:) They never even knew they were authorized users as the credit cards came to our house.

I've used these certificates for $ off in the past but I can't remember the details for other situations. Can I use a certificate for $1500 off and also an upgrade certificate? If so, does the upgrade certificate only allow upgrade within the same category ( outside to outside, balcony to balcony) or could I upgrade from the highest balcony to the lowest suite? Also, if I cancel this card after the certificates have been received and posted to a cruise booking, do I lose the certificates?

Our $1500 in certificates just arrived, in the nick of time! Now it's time to send them to NCL...but the address on the certificate is a PO Box:

Norwegian Cruise Line

P.O. Box 025403

Miami, FL 33102-5403

I see it is recommened to send via FedEx or at least Certified Mail...but can you, to a Post Office Box?

Our $1500 in certificates just arrived, in the nick of time! Now it's time to send them to NCL...but the address on the certificate is a PO Box:

Norwegian Cruise Line

P.O. Box 025403

Miami, FL 33102-5403

I see it is recommended to send via FedEx or at least Certified Mail...but can you, to a Post Office Box?

I'm sorry, the address I referenced in post #2 is their Accounting Office and Corporate HQ. That's the street address to use when sending via FEDEX. I've used that address to submit certificates via FEDEX for 3 trips with no problems.

I'll soon will have a 1000 points. What exactly is the "discount"

if you get 2 certificates? Lets say that I select a cruise and the total for the cabin is $1,600. I'm going to be disappointed if I'm only going to get $100 in a discount

You will get 2 certificates worth $500 each. They are like cash to use toward your final payment. If you put them toward your cruise above your final cost would be $600.

We called 1-800-900-6651 on July 25th. Our certificate was issued on July 27th and we received it on Wednesday, Aug 1st.

Where did this number come from, and who did you reach when you called? I have read about so many folks having trouble getting someone familiar with the Compass Reward Program, I might just try this number.

Does anyone have a guess as to how long it takes NCL to process certificates they receive? We mailed the certificates in last week, and I'm (kind of) expecting a partial refund of my deposit on my credit card. So far I have not seen it yet.

It may take a week or a bit longer. When we used ours last summer it took about 10 days after NCL had received the certificates for them to show up as a credit on our account.

Can you send in your certificates before final payment or do you have to send with final payment?

This is taken from one of the earliest posts in this thread

"4. Mail your certificate well before the final payment date.

No use waiting to the last minute in case of problems. Order and mail your certificate as early as you would like to in order to give yourself time to fix any problems if they arise."

I have read here that excess money from the certificates does not have to be refunded to you but many have reported that they have received or are waiting for a credit after sending in the certificates. I'm doing back 2 back cruises and one will have a balance less than $500, the other is over $500. Am I safe to assume that if I send in two $500 certificates they will pay off the low one and apply the rest to the 2nd cruise? Last year I managed to get one cert for $500 off my cruise and used my free SW tickets to get there and home. This year will be $1000 off my cruises. Love it when I can get something extra for spending money! :D

Also, I waited until almost last minute to send out my certificate just in case something happened that we couldn't go. I think I read somewhere that if you use a cert and cancel that it is not refunded to you?

Regarding your balances. The rule is that any overpayment will be forfeited. i.e. if the balance is $400 and you send a certificate, you forfeit the extra $100. It is not transferable to another booking (i.e. your second leg).

However . . . some people have had the experience of having the excess credited to their credit card. I had it happen once on a $90 overpayment.

I don't know if we all got lucky, but MBNA, now BoA, will tell you there is no refund. Guess it depends on whether the cruise gods are smiling on you that day. Personally, I keep boosting my cabin category until I am very near an even amount and then decide to pay or forfeit the difference.

Regarding a refund on a certificate. True, they will not refund the money, but they will transfer it to another cruise. i.e. We had to cancel our cruise on the Sun due to Katrina and it had been paid in full:eek: with certificates. They did allow us to transfer those certificates to another cruise so long as the certificates had not yet expired.

The other possible route for a refund would be travel insurance. This will vary from company to company but if you have a reason for cancelling that is covered by your insurance then they will treat the certificates the same as a cash payment in processing your claim for reimbursement.

In considering whether you might need to cancel and neither of the above situations fit, don't forget that your certificate is only good for one year.

And while you can send certificates after final payment (I've done it more than once), it does take up to 2 statements to show up on your account. Who needs one more thing to keep track of? So there is no benefit to waiting til the last minute.

Enjoy!

if you entire cruise including down payment is 2400 and you have paid a $400 deposit and send it 5 certs for final payment. You will get the 2000 credited, 400 refunded to your cc and lose a $100 from the cert. That's how people get money back...its their money not extra from the cruise line....

I have been reading that one can send in certificates after final payment has been made. However, it seems like there are mixed opinions.

Is it okay to do this or is it risky?

And if it is acceptable, how long after final payment can one send in a cert? A few days, weeks?

I will definitely have another $500 certificate shortly after final payment, but I don't want to risk losing it by sending it in late.

Thanks in advance.:)

If you pay off what will be due on your cruise after the certificates would that be enough to get you the points before your final payment date? Last year I paid off all but a few $$$ of what was going to be due ahead of time so that when that December statement came I had enough points and time to request and send my certificate. I didn't Express it but mailed it so that a signature was required either certified or Priority mail.