Oriana Leaving

chris11256

I've had an e-mail from P&O confirming Oriana is leaving.

Oriana will be leaving the P&O Cruises fleet in August 2019 following her final cruise to Norway & North Cape (X913), departing 22 July 2019. There are still plenty of opportunities to sail on her. A real fleet favourite, Oriana has earned a loyal following over the years, so why not join her one more time?

Really sad news but not unexpected with Aurora being made adult only. She's been sold to a company operating cruises in China according to P&O.

Our first cruise was for our honeymoon and it was on Oriana and we sailed on her a fair few times until she was made adult only, so lots of happy memories.

Devastating if she is your favourite and you like small ships. I am sad and disappointed but as we enjoy all the ships we will not be as badly affected. Good job we had our two cruises on her booked for this year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They just cancelled my August 2019 Cruise and offering £50 obc to move ships? Shocking amount and why on earth didn’t they stop selling cruises on her a while ago? No other ships going to the same ports. Full refund it is then 🤦*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just back of Oriana June 9th no mention about this, though some of the crew were mentioning contract changes to other ships. Very sad to see her go as a great ship for dancing.

Will have our last cruise on her Xmas

Just seen my email from P&O, how sad. We have only managed 1 cruise on her of 4 nights but we really enjoyed it and said we'd love to go on her again! Think we will find it hard to find one before she leaves.

They just cancelled my August 2019 Cruise and offering £50 obc to move ships? Shocking amount and why on earth didn’t they stop selling cruises on her a while ago? No other ships going to the same ports. Full refund it is then 🤦*♂️

You can’t stop selling cruises otherwise you lose your negotiation power in selling the ship.

That said, P&O have said they were not looking to sell her do it may be that the offer from Chinese company was too good to be true.

One things for sure, P&O certainly don’t want to be in the floating care home market anymore.

You can’t stop selling cruises otherwise you lose your negotiation power in selling the ship.

That said, P&O have said they were not looking to sell her do it may be that the offer from Chinese company was too good to be true.

One things for sure, P&O certainly don’t want to be in the floating care home market anymore.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. It’s all about profit and screw the customers plans.

Just booked an MSC Cruise so hopefully they read this

It was the same when they sold the Adonia. We had our cruise cancelled with only obc offered on another cruise.

Not surprised and not before time IMO she has been well past her sell by date with problems she has had for a while.

After a thoroughly miserable time on a recent Northern Lights cruise, where the cold on board was unbearable and there were leaks everywhere, I also am not surprised. Of course, the captain made all sorts of excuses about unusually low temperatures but it was pretty evident the ship was not "fit for purpose". The vibrations aft also made it difficult to enjoy performances in the Pacific Lounge! Frankly, we had already decided we would cruise no more on Oriana. It is sad because Oriana was a nice size and still looked very elegant.

Just back of Oriana June 9th no mention about this, though some of the crew were mentioning contract changes to other ships. Very sad to see her go as a great ship for dancing.

Will have our last cruise on her Xmas

Agreed about missing the Dancing in Harlequins, that leaves Aurora’s Carmen’s which is also good for dancing.

Unfortunately decent dancing facilities (Floor size etc.) come low in the pecking order.

As you probably know you are restricted to dancing in the Atrium on some of the ships.

We still don’t know what dancing facilities will be available on IONA. I would have thought a ship that size would have enough room for a decent size dance floor.

Enjoy your Xmas cruise.

After a thoroughly miserable time on a recent Northern Lights cruise, where the cold on board was unbearable and there were leaks everywhere, I also am not surprised. Of course, the captain made all sorts of excuses about unusually low temperatures but it was pretty evident the ship was not "fit for purpose". The vibrations aft also made it difficult to enjoy performances in the Pacific Lounge! Frankly, we had already decided we would cruise no more on Oriana. It is sad because Oriana was a nice size and still looked very elegant.

After my one and only cruise on Oriana I vowed never to go on her again.

The vibrations mentioned were far worse in the dining room below the lounge. Frequent engine failures (three times in 17 days) meant loss of power to public rooms including the theatre resulting in no air conditioning and the curtailment of shows, lectures etc.

The lack of shower only cabins is an issue, being only 4'10" clambering in and out of a bath is problematic at the best of times, never mind if the ship was moving. How others, much older and physically more restricted than me coped I do not know. (In fact as the cruise went on it became clear that some people weren't coping). Plus the bathroom door opening inwards into an already cramped space made the room very awkward to use.

I think this sale is well overdue and will not be sorry to see her go.

Agreed about missing the Dancing in Harlequins, that leaves Aurora’s Carmen’s which is also good for dancing.

Unfortunately decent dancing facilities (Floor size etc.) come low in the pecking order.

As you probably know you are restricted to dancing in the Atrium on some of the ships.

We still don’t know what dancing facilities will be available on IONA. I would have thought a ship that size would have enough room for a decent size dance floor.

Enjoy your Xmas cruise.

There is a dedicated ballroom on Britannia.

Confused! I've never had a cabin on Oriana that didn't have a shower. If fact I've never had one with a bath.

They will get rid of all these lovely ships over the next couple of years and only have the huge ones. That will be the end of P&O for me, but then I'm not the audience they are trying to appeal to.