World cup on Azura

barriead

Hi guys, just back from Azuras Baltic cruise (9th June to 23rd June) and had a great time...apart from world cup viewing...no games being shown on TV in cabins ( on board TVs pretty useless in my opinion anyway..but that's another story:D)

I was disappointed no games being shown not even Englands, all games were being broadcast in Brody's and England's was also shown in other venues as well as sea screen with its very poor quality picture and missing pixels but you could see the ball though:D. I asked at reception whu no games were being shown on cabin TVs and was given the answer that it was for copyright reasons from the provider..hmmm... I then asked if it was being shown on cabin TVs on any of the other P&O Ships and was told "no sir", I wondered if anyone can confirm this or otherwise?, he also said maybe they did not want cabins being a bit raucous as well..I reminded him a lot of Football including premier league is shown in them along with many other sports to which he smiled.

From this post you can guess I and many others aboard were a bit miffed...not the end of the world I know...before some of you remind me I must have known it was world cup time so why book a holiday in this period;p...and not a huge matter, but I would be very disappointed if thought it was a cynical move just to get us to spend money in Brody's during this period (the cynic in me is leaning toward this view), after all P&O could easily have upgraded the TV package so it could be shown in cabins if that is the real and only reason.

So did anyone see the World cup games on Cabin TVs...I would be very interested to find out.:):)

I’ve just been on Ventura (got off as World Cup began) and very disappointed sky sports news no longer on cabin TVs! I used to enjoy that for a quick catch up. There was sky news but it was always on Trump and Brexit whenever I switched it on and I get enough of that at home!

Also no accounts on the tv now so have to go to reception to check the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sea screen on Azura is not fit for purpose. According to the staff it has been like this for over a year. Disappointing for me as I,m a big cinema fan and enjoy watching movie out on deck. In terms of the football I'm sure they just want everybody in brodies etc buying drinks.

That's disappointing, having time off when there is something like the World Cup on is great, as you would normally miss it if you work.

We've only ever sailed Celebrity and British Lions, CONACAF Cup, Under 18/21 World Cups were all shown on our previous cruises. Trying P&O next year so hopefully there will be more TV options by then, we don't spend a lot of time in our room, but it is nice to watch TV occasionally.

I am still intrigued as to whether any of the Ships other than Azura are actually showing the World cup on Cabin TVs?

Please if you could or could not see the Footie can you advise?:evilsmile::)

Just back from Ventura and all the matches were shown on the in cabin TVs, but Ventura's satellite connection can be a bit poor with regular signal loss or picture freezing whilst sound continues.

It really is about time that P&O updated their TV and internet systems in line with most other cruise lines, and of course reinstated Sky Sports News.

Can't say if the England game was on in the cabin as we were watching it in the Lounge. We did see a lot of the other games on the cabin tv. Atmosphere in Tamarind for the England game was very good. Even got half time snacks brought round from Sindhu

if you are that bothered about seeing it why would you go away then??!

Hmmmm, I take it you did read the first post....bit of a clue there.:)

Main point really is about being told a lot of tosh just to shut my inquiry down and get rid of me.

Barriead

I don’t know what feed they are using for the World Cup but it is not Sport24. If you look at their schedules they are not showing the World Cup on their “at sea” channel. It is on their flight channel.

So P&O must be taking the BBC or ITV versions. Perhaps they don’t have the technology or licence to show the matches in the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Barriead

I don’t know what feed they are using for the World Cup but it is not Sport24. If you look at their schedules they are not showing the World Cup on their “at sea” channel. It is on their flight channel.

So P&O must be taking the BBC or ITV versions. Perhaps they don’t have the technology or licence to show the matches in the cabin.

On Ventura it was Sport24 and it was available in the cabins, although it may have been an alternate to the routine feed, only about 30 seconds after the final whistle the feed was cut and an MTN card was displayed on the screen until the regular broadcast was restarted.

Barriead

Just back off the Royal Princess around Britain and all the games were shown on Sport 24 on MUTS, Vista lounge and in cabin TV.

Same here just off celebrity Silhouette and all matches were shown on cabin TV on sports 24 and another channel which I forget, as well as in theatre for England games and smaller theatre for the other matches

Just confirms my suspicions of being misled, patronized, and fobbed off by onboard staff to a very simple question.

I am so tempted to vent my feelings with a complaint...just don't know if I want to be patronized again:evilsmile:....we all spend good money on these cruises so we should expect respect and honesty as a given, most of the time we do get that...but sadly at other times we do not.

As is now obvious the Ships had differing options for World cup viewing so I am going to ask why...simple question lets hope for a straight forward answer.....I will post any answer I get on this thread for those of you interested.:):D

BTW, I am long past caring about the viewing in cabin but still a bit ticked about answer to my question "copyright reasons sir".

Still awaiting response from P&O:)

I also meant to mention what happened during evening matches that clashed with the horse racing evenings in Brodys, the horse racing was timed to start/get under way about halfway through the second half of games....so when ticket sales started....the two main screens (which a lot of us were watching obviously) would be switched over to the betting/racing and the other screens showing the games would be muted.....so those of us enjoying the football then had to scramble to watch screens with no sound....I am not kidding here...the horse racing could quite easily have been put back for about 20 odd minutes and kept everyone happy, I approached the entertainment manager one evening during this fiasco to protest and his answer was "well we did put it in the horizon so everyone knew". Things came to a head one night when there was a very good game being played and they started to set the stage up for the horse racing and there was uproar from those watching the game with lots of shouting and some swearing at the team setting it up (just doing their job, I know) and they quite wisely asked the crowd if they wanted the football left on....the football stayed on until the game finished.

I spoke to quite a few of the people who were there for the horse racing if they were okay with the game being finished first and to a man everyone said it was fine and the inevitable clash between 2 different groups of people was obviously going to happen.

Whoever thought the situation in Brodys this would be okay needs to take a serious look at themselves and how to manage events, for the sake of about changing a schedule by about 20 odd minutes everyone would have been quite happy.