cases of wine, Carried or checked.

TheRabbit

We are bringing at least 3 cases of wine with us on board for a long cruise in the fall. Question: has anyone done this and can the cases be labeled and checked like luggage or are they required to be carried on? Some one indicated they carried on using a fold up hand truck. Leaving out of LA.

Not looking for opinions or info on corkage, I have talked to many people and have those. What I need is info from someone who has checked cases as to what I should do.

Thanks

John

We are bringing at least 3 cases of wine with us on board for a long cruise in the fall. Question: has anyone done this and can the cases be labeled and checked like luggage or are they required to be carried on? Some one indicated they carried on using a fold up hand truck. Leaving out of LA.

Not looking for opinions or info on corkage, I have talked to many people and have those. What I need is info from someone who has checked cases as to what I should do.

Thanks

John

We brought on a case in Fort Lauderdale...slapped a luggage tag on it and checked it with our luggage. This was in 2012 though, so not sure they will allow that now and how they would handle the fee for bottles in excess of the 1/pp they allow.

Back when Princess was lax about charging corkage fees, we ALWAYS took a case of wine. Slapped on a luggage tag and gave it to the stevedores/baggage handlers, no problem. These days we pack it in a hardsided small carry-on, but that won't work for you. So, i don't think you'll have any trouble whatsoever putting a luggage tag on each box, but I'd consider maybe using a rope handle for everyone's ease of handling. The baggage folks don't give a piece of feces about what you're sending....but a decent tip might help. However, once the cases get on board, it's not likely they'll make it to your cabin without you paying the corkage fees then and there. steve

I took 12 bottles in my rolling carry on this past March. There was a table set up right after the scanners where I signed for the corkage fee and got the bottle stickers. This was easy with no separate trip required to handle the corkage fee. How many people are you traveling with? If you can fit the wine in carry on luggage do so. Otherwise just pack the wine well in a box(es), reinforce with duct tape and tape on a luggage tag. A little extra tipping to the porters won’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess you could take it on a portable fold up style "trolley" and go through security like everyone else. To me that sounds like it's more trouble than the alternative. The advantage would be that the wine never leaves your sight and you pay the corkage right then and there and haul it up to your cabin...no guessin' where your wine is. No one in security cares about the wine, except for the Princess observers who are there to collect their toll. steve

I took 12 bottles in my rolling carry on this past March. There was a table set up right after the scanners where I signed for the corkage fee and got the bottle stickers. This was easy with no separate trip required to handle the corkage fee. How many people are you traveling with? If you can fit the wine in carry on luggage do so. Otherwise just pack the wine well in a box(es), reinforce with duct tape and tape on a luggage tag. A little extra tipping to the porters won’t hurt.

Only 2 people, so carry on is not an option. As I indicated, one option is a fold up hand truck, but would prefer checking.

It is 60 nights. With 1 bottle every 2 nights, that is already 30 so figured 3 cases.

Worthless info of the day: Wallyworld has a folding hand truck for $25ish that you could throwaway after loading onto the ship. Supposed to handle 220 lb.

You nailed plan b. If I can't confirm recent loading as luggage, this is our plan. Though this could get a bit unwieldy.

We brought on a case in Fort Lauderdale...slapped a luggage tag on it and checked it with our luggage. This was in 2012 though, so not sure they will allow that now and how they would handle the fee for bottles in excess of the 1/pp they allow.

Good to know 6 years ago you could still do it that way. Hoping someone in the last year has done that.

I guess you could take it on a portable fold up style "trolley" and go through security like everyone else. To me that sounds like it's more trouble than the alternative. The advantage would be that the wine never leaves your sight and you pay the corkage right then and there and haul it up to your cabin...no guessin' where your wine is. No one in security cares about the wine, except for the Princess observers who are there to collect their toll. steve

As to cart, see plan be an oven

Not worried about toll. With $540 in tolls, we are still hundreds ahead with wines we love. Probably through in a few 30 to 70 follow bottles for special nights.

The keeping wine in view has crossed our minds.

Heck, just box it in good wine shipping boxes (i suspect you know what I mean...styrofoam or the stiff crépe stuff), tip the baggage folks, pay the damn corkage fee when they ask and be done with it! With 36 bottles over 60 days, what are you drinking? My list starts with say, Ridge Geyserville Zin, a few good Malbecs and lots of Bordeaux....not a Burgundy/Pinot drinker. s

If you check the wine like luggage it will most probably not be delivered to your cabin. Instead you will probably need to go down to the “naughty room” and pay your corkage. Don’t know if they will then deliver the wine to you.

We are doing a 28 day cruise in the fall and will be bringing 1-1/2 to 2 cases with us. I plan on using a cheap dolly and leaving it on board.

If you check the wine like luggage it will most probably not be delivered to your cabin. Instead you will probably need to go down to the “naughty room” and pay your corkage. Don’t know if they will then deliver the wine to you.

We are doing a 28 day cruise in the fall and will be bringing 1-1/2 to 2 cases with us. I plan on using a cheap dolly and leaving it on board.

Don't mind going to naughty room, especially if after I go, they take it to our room! LOL

I'd ask you how it goes if you put luggage labels on yours, but I think we might be changing info in the same naughty room.

Don't mind going to naughty room, especially if after I go, they take it to our room! LOL

I'd ask you how it goes if you put luggage labels on yours, but I think we might be changing info in the same naughty room.

Scrap that, looks like you are on the Sydney trip, not LA to Shanghai 28 day. If that is the case, you leave 4 days after we do. Looks like I will have to give you a post or email to let you know how it goes for us.

We always check the wine we carry on. Do you know about the BOGO offered by Bevmo?

When is the last time you did it? Was it in a regular wine box or did you have to pack better? How did princess handle corkage, i.e. did you to go down and pay and then carry to the room?

We are aware of Bevmo. We have several great options in our area.

The last time we shipped our wine as luggage I was called to the "naughty room", but as a discipline problem all of my life, I felt right at home. I was called about 2-3 hrs after boarding, but I enjoyed the respite wringing my hands. Security guards opened the box and, as I was being waterboarded, they counted the bottles and I paid "the freight", got my stickers and they delivered the case to my room. steve

When is the last time you did it? Was it in a regular wine box or did you have to pack better? How did princess handle corkage, i.e. did you to go down and pay and then carry to the room?

We are aware of Bevmo. We have several great options in our area.

We sailed 3 times in the last year. Just tape up regular wine box. We try to get 6 bottle boxes. You will be called to the "sin" room where you pay the fee (2 bottles free) and they deliver it for you.

I never found a better deal than BevMo BOGO. :DThey also give the 10% per case discount on top of BOGO.

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ

The last time we shipped our wine as luggage I was called to the "naughty room", but as a discipline problem all of my life, I felt right at home. I was called about 2-3 hrs after boarding, but I enjoyed the respite wringing my hands. Security guards opened the box and, as I was being waterboarded, they counted the bottles and I paid "the freight", got my stickers and they delivered the case to my room. steve

Thanks for the info. This is what a few of us were looking for.

I have no problem going to the naughty corner, the info on how it was handled is what we needed.

Again, Thanks

We sailed 3 times in the last year. Just tape up regular wine box. We try to get 6 bottle boxes. You will be called to the "sin" room where you pay the fee (2 bottles free) and they deliver it for you.

I never found a better deal than BevMo BOGO. :DThey also give the 10% per case discount on top of BOGO.

As with the poster above you, Thanks.

It is good to know how they process it.

As for pricing, I leave that up to my DW. She is great at knowing and getting our wines. I will pass the info on to her.

Did security put the wine in the room or leave it out like luggage?

OH yeah, and one more thing...use wine "shipping boxes", NOT the regular wine boxes that you see stacked up in the front of most liquor stores. These have either styrofoam compartments or some sort of crépe dividers or such. Haven't lost a bottle yet, and tho' another PITA, we always take our own wine glasses, opener and pouring disc. Nothing more disappointing then pouring a decent bottle of wine into those 50 cent, thick glasses that you wouldn't use at home. s

As with the poster above you, Thanks.

It is good to know how they process it.

As for pricing, I leave that up to my DW. She is great at knowing and getting our wines. I will pass the info on to her.

Did security put the wine in the room or leave it out like luggage?

If the wine makes it to your room w/o going to the "sin" room, you pay the corking fee every time you bring a bottle to the MDR.

Rabbit, it sounds like you're in good shape. Slap some luggage tags on your cases and hand some spendable motivation to the porter. Then wait in your cabin for the call. Go down to the room, watch them open up your boxes, and sign the chit for the corkage fee. The best part is that, apparently, they will, then deliver your cases to your cabin, That is sweet,

I agree with previous posters who recommend that you buy the insulated shippers instead of just using boxes that you find at your local wine store. Don't mess around.

Am I correct in assuming you have a fairly large cabin? I can see where finding storage space for three cases of wine can be a problem. We usually book a standard balcony cabin. I've never taken more than a case of wine, on board. So, it is pretty easy to stash it, pretty much, out of the way, but three cases, would be more difficult.

It sounds like you are going to have a great cruise.