Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

Not entirely sure that the other lines not allowing booze on board had anything to do with drinks packages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? What else would be the reason other than that you don’t drink in your cabin and therefore buy less or none of their bar drinks or packages thereby reducing their bar profits?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have thought it would be in their interests to let you bring your own drink on board (the more the better from their perspective) as presumably if you have a limit on what you can, or will drink, then you'll be drinking less of their drinks which you have already paid for in your cruise price. Or am I missing something?

You are missing something. The trial will be as a chargeable extra, and if they do bring it in fleet wide I think it will continue to be a chargeable extra. With the adults only ships being an older demographic, with all of their medication, I would not think there would be a large take up of it. I don't think they will include it in the prices. Too many older people would not be able to make use of it.

You are missing something. The trial will be as a chargeable extra, and if they do bring it in fleet wide I think it will continue to be a chargeable extra. With the adults only ships being an older demographic, with all of their medication, I would not think there would be a large take up of it. I don't think they will include it in the prices. Too many older people would not be able to make use of it.

I agree with your thinking however it appears that P&O are actively going after a younger market. Consequently if they do inclusive AI as part of the cruise fare rather than an added extra and “older people would not be able to make use of it” then it might just suit them nicely thank you very much.

They don’t actually want the ships filled with non drinking older folks who have typically done all the excursions before, don’t use the spa and don’t buy the rubbish on the tat tables. They want to make money at the bar either via the AI packages if the trial is successful or through non AI (probably increased in price) bar sales.

Older, (usually quite loyal to the brand) customers are not who or what the newer ships are designed for. As the older ships leave the fleet so will many of the more traditional cruisers.

Yes I replied to Caravan 37, post #873 who explained that it was in effect an optional extra in which case I accept that my argument doesn't follow. I'd taken the general comment about AIS on other cruiselines to be part of the package which some are - and that creates a different scenario.

I agree with your thinking however it appears that P&O are actively going after a younger market. Consequently if they do inclusive AI as part of the cruise fare rather than an added extra and “older people would not be able to make use of it” then it might just suit them nicely thank you very much.

They don’t actually want the ships filled with non drinking older folks who have typically done all the excursions before, don’t use the spa and don’t buy the rubbish on the tat tables. They want to make money at the bar either via the AI packages if the trial is successful or through non AI (probably increased in price) bar sales.

Older, (usually quite loyal to the brand) customers are not who or what the newer ships are designed for. As the older ships leave the fleet so will many of the more traditional cruisers.

I think you make some very valid points and sadly agree with your final paragraph. I think we may be amongst the exodus.

Yes they are going after a younger age group, with their bigger and bigger ships. But while there is still a fair few of the older ones cruising, or those on a lot of medication , and from what has been posted elsewhere, I don't think rolling it into the price will be a popular option. There are still too many who will not want to have it thrust upon them.

Plus ofcourse if they rolled it into the base price of the cruise , that cost would have to go up. Will all the people who keep on asking will the price go down any lower, wheres the best place to book to get a good price etc etc be prepared to pay these increased costs.

I feel that after 2022 as the upper age groups stop cruising for health or death reasons all the ships below ventura and azura will gradually be sold off one by one. Dress codes will go. Tips possibly will be rolled into the base price..BY then hopefully we will have stopped cruising as well.

It will be a very different creature then, and possibly not one that I would choose to spend the sort of money we spend now on. Shame, but things change.

One bottle of wine ‘for special occasions’ not a litre of spirits each? Unless they’ve changed their policy recently?

Bottle of wine per person, and as many other bottles as you like, subject to a $15 per bottle corkage charge. Cheaper to take wine on board and pay the corkage, than buy bottles onboard.

Bottle of wine per person, and as many other bottles as you like, subject to a $15 per bottle corkage charge. Cheaper to take wine on board and pay the corkage, than buy bottles onboard.

It’s a while since I’ve been on Princess but I can remember paying $30 for a bottle of wine in MDR + 15% then! So yes it must be cheaper to buy your own and take onboard then pay $15 per bottle corkage - bit of a faff though?

Thanks

so it has all of the restrictions; £6.95 limit and 15 per day

And of course we need to confirm the regular bar prices - are they the same? Hopefully someone cruising this weekend can advise

Really? What else would be the reason other than that you don’t drink in your cabin and therefore buy less or none of their bar drinks or packages thereby reducing their bar profits?

Yes really, if you have bought a booze package why would they not want you to have your own booze as you would not be drinking theirs, which you have paid for up front.

Anyway I think the booze bans predate the packages.

Yes really, if you have bought a booze package why would they not want you to have your own booze as you would not be drinking theirs, which you have paid for up front.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/

Of course they wouldn’t mind - but why would anyone be so foolish? Buy a package and drink your own, crazy!

Yes they are going after a younger age group, with their bigger and bigger ships. But while there is still a fair few of the older ones cruising, or those on a lot of medication , and from what has been posted elsewhere, I don't think rolling it into the price will be a popular option. There are still too many who will not want to have it thrust upon them.

Plus ofcourse if they rolled it into the base price of the cruise , that cost would have to go up. Will all the people who keep on asking will the price go down any lower, wheres the best place to book to get a good price etc etc be prepared to pay these increased costs.

I feel that after 2022 as the upper age groups stop cruising for health or death reasons all the ships below ventura and azura will gradually be sold off one by one. Dress codes will go. Tips possibly will be rolled into the base price..BY then hopefully we will have stopped cruising as well.

It will be a very different creature then, and possibly not one that I would choose to spend the sort of money we spend now on. Shame, but things change.

The problem with the race for the younger cruiser which people claim is happening is that you are not going to get the younger cruiser to fill the ships in February March April, October November and early December. In those months companies rely on those who are retired to fill the ships.

You cannot run a cruise line 12 months of the year on younger cruisers who have to go to work to pay for their cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/

Of course they wouldn’t mind - but why would anyone be so foolish? Buy a package and drink your own, crazy!

I agree but then people would not buy the package. Well not at £80.00 per couple.

And I still think the ban on bringing booze on board on US ships predated the booze packages

I agree but then people would not buy the package. Well not at £80.00 per couple.

That’s my point but in the reverse - someone buying the package won’t need to bring booze on: someone not wanting to buy a package will still want to take advantage on bringing 2 litres per cabin of booze on and also take advantage of the reasonable bar prices - BUT what happens now a drinks package has been introduced?

Usually bar prices rocket ( to make package seem good value) AND further restrictions on what alcohol you can bring on board so you are more inclined to buy a package

Thanks

so it has all of the restrictions; £6.95 limit and 15 per day

What about wine - would it be by the glass ?

Would soft drinks/fruit juices/water count/ mixers towards your 15 drinks?

Would a spirit include the mixer - if not can you get spirit and mix for 6.95 ?

Would need to be sure of a few things first - at first glance it doesn't seem great value to me.

Edit: just read that it is 15 Alcoholic drinks per day

Would soft drinks/fruit juices/water count towards your 15 drinks?

Would need to be sure of a few things first - at first glance it doesn't seem great value to me.

Just worked out our 35 night cruise in 2020 would be £2800, for drinks. I don’t think so.

The problem with the race for the younger cruiser which people claim is happening is that you are not going to get the younger cruiser to fill the ships in February March April, October November and early December. In those months companies rely on those who are retired to fill the ships.

You cannot run a cruise line 12 months of the year on younger cruisers who have to go to work to pay for their cruises.

Yes and no. You won’t get the younger people with families who will only fill the ships in the school holidays.

You will get those who don’t have children or whose children have flown the nest.

The next time you get a marketing flyer look at the pictures and see if you see yourself in them dai. I don’t see me anymore. The oldest person in the pictures now is Rob Bryden.

Just worked out our 35 night cruise in 2020 would be £2800, for drinks. I don’t think so.

I know - 2 weeks you’re looking at over £1000 BUT it does all depend on what you can still get for under £6.95. I only went on my first P&O in June but can’t exactly remember the prices and will they be the same now the package is in operation?

We’ll have to wait for someone e to come back with some intel ([emoji23])or menus!

Same here - need info quick!!

Yes and no. You won’t get the younger people with families who will only fill the ships in the school holidays.

You will get those who don’t have children or whose children have flown the nest.

The next time you get a marketing flyer look at the pictures and see if you see yourself in them dai. I don’t see me anymore. The oldest person in the pictures now is Rob Bryden.

But that has always been the case. Anyway how many people who are working can take 35 nights in January for a cruise. Sorry but cruising is always going to have a majority of retired people taking part as they are the ones with the time and money.

However there are many BOF’s like me who love the new big ships and will continue to cruise with them.

This answers a bit more

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drinks_package

See section at bottom - New Drinks Packages Pilot - It also says pilot starts on 21st July on Azura