Best Packing List Ever

maxx

I am thinking of something sort of cylindrical that you plug in, and used mainly by the ladies...........yes that's right hair wands. My wife would hate to go somewhere without hers.

What? what did you think I meant? Honestly the minds of some people, lol.

Also I swear by a bum bag and a aqua wallet. the aqua wallet is ideal for keeping some money with you and your key card when ashore and having a dip. It beats leaving it on the beach or having to take turns swimming.

The Aqua shoes are great we used them in the Mediterranean as their beaches are not often/always sand.

Does anyone have anything to add to what is here. I am trying to put together a list for the 3 first time cruisers going with me on saturday and i am stuck for things to add.

We took with us those fold up bed things for floating across the coral at Lifou with. People on the ship were pulling faces at us with them but once we got to Lifou they were excellent. We laid on ours and just floated across the coral. Some of the coral comes up quite high so it was much easier floating across it on the bed. After we just let the air out and folded them back up - not too heavy to carry either. Make sure you take your reef shoes!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Thought you may be interested in our updated Packing Tips & Tricks. We will be including this in our Cruise Survival Kits.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Packing Tips & Tricks

Before Packing:

• Make a list of what you need to take & check it off.
  • If you are travelling with someone co-ordinate your packing. Sharing common items such as an alarm clock or first aid kit, even shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & other bathroom supplies will save you from each having to pack the same items.

Packing Tips:

• Carry all documents, medicines, essentials and valuables with you in your carry-on. Consider slipping in a change of clothes if you want to change for dinner in case your bags don't arrive quickly enough.
  • Place anything that could ruin clothes, such as shampoo, sunscreen & toothpaste into a sealed plastic bag (zip locks are grate for this!).
  • Roll your clothes to best utilise the space in your suitcase (this will also reduce creasing). Or get a vacuum pack to save space (remember these will reduce the volume of your clothes not the weight!).
  • Pack socks inside your shoes to help them keep their shape & save space.
  • There is no laundry on the Star. This also means there are no irons. Either iron before you go, take no iron clothes, get some Iron Free spray from the supermarket or just wear unironed clothes!!
  • Again no laundry! - try to pack clothing that is reusable, i.e. can be worn more than once. Just remember the Febreeze to freshen it up!!

Luggage tips:

• When attaching the labels supplied by P&O ensure you peel off both sides and stick together.
  • Make sure every bag has an additional name tag attached in case the one supplied by P&O falls off. Your bag should then find it's way to your cabin and you won't have to look for it.
  • Make sure you have room to bring home your souvenirs. You may want to pack an additional bag (or two!).
  • Tie some bright coloured ribbon onto your bags or use a luggage strap that will help you to identify your bags (especially if they are black and look just like everyone else's).

Hi All,

Thought you may be interested in our updated Packing Tips & Tricks. We will be including this in our Cruise Survival Kits.

Cheers,

Packing Tips & Tricks

Before Packing:

• Make a list of what you need to take & check it off.
  • If you are travelling with someone co-ordinate your packing. Sharing common items such as an alarm clock or first aid kit, even shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & other bathroom supplies will save you from each having to pack the same items.

Packing Tips:

• Carry all documents, medicines, essentials and valuables with you in your carry-on. Consider slipping in a change of clothes if you want to change for dinner in case your bags don't arrive quickly enough.
  • Place anything that could ruin clothes, such as shampoo, sunscreen & toothpaste into a sealed plastic bag (zip locks are grate for this!).
  • Roll your clothes to best utilise the space in your suitcase (this will also reduce creasing). Or get a vacuum pack to save space (remember these will reduce the volume of your clothes not the weight!).
  • Pack socks inside your shoes to help them keep their shape & save space.
  • There is no laundry on the Star. This also means there are no irons. Either iron before you go, take no iron clothes, get some Iron Free spray from the supermarket or just wear unironed clothes!!
  • Again no laundry! - try to pack clothing that is reusable, i.e. can be worn more than once. Just remember the Febreeze to freshen it up!!

Luggage tips:

• When attaching the labels supplied by P&O ensure you peel off both sides and stick together.
  • Make sure every bag has an additional name tag attached in case the one supplied by P&O falls off. Your bag should then find it's way to your cabin and you won't have to look for it.
  • Make sure you have room to bring home your souvenirs. You may want to pack an additional bag (or two!).
  • Tie some bright coloured ribbon onto your bags or use a luggage strap that will help you to identify your bags (especially if they are black and look just like everyone else's).

And here is the updated Packing Checklist.

Cheers,

Things to take in your carry-on:

• Tickets & passports!!
  • Medication
  • Any valuables (incl. cash & jewellery)
  • Motion sickness tablets
  • Cameras (with heaps of film or memory!)
  • Anything you need straight away!

Things to pack:

• Swimmers, sunscreen & a shady hat
  • Comfortable shoes to wear on board
  • Small torch
  • A light jacket for evenings
  • Small sewing kit
  • Febreeze
  • Room freshener
  • Wide mouth water bottle
  • Backpack or overnight bag
  • Lanyard
  • Highlighter (or bingo dabber)
  • Non electric alarm clock (non ticking!)
  • Formal outfits
  • Underwear!!

Nice to haves:

• Binoculars
  • Reef shoes (buy from Big W for about $10 a pair)
  • Small shoulder bag for onboard
  • Wet ones
  • Rain poncho or small umbrella
  • Walkie Talkies (recommend at least 1 watt)
  • Email addresses for you mates

Things you probably won't need:

• Towels (beach towels are supplied)
  • Soap (unless you like shower gel)
  • Board games
  • Rubber gloves for washing up!!

Fantastic lists charmain!! Many thanks.

Have already started getting bits and pieces together...not leaving it all till the last minute. My 20yo son thinks i'm nuts when I came home the other day armed with sunscreen/wet ones/small sewing kit and various other items to put away for April. As i told him..it's never too early to start and it saves buying it all the week before!!!

Cheers!;)

Karen

Ive just had my suitcase out on the bed.......looking at clothes i've progressively been buying over the past few months.....me thinks i have too much!! Trying to cull as we speak....'oh but i might wear that'...'hmmm will i need that?.... all my answers seem to be YES just in case!!..In case of what i'm asking myself. So what if i wear things three times!! (or more). And they do have a laundry service. It looks as though i'm purposely trying to fill the suitcase to its absolute capacity. One of my VERY bad habits...even if i'm only going away for a weekend...I always pack TOO MUCH!!! HELP!!! Any ideas to help convince me I don't need it all???

cheers

Karen

Pacific Star Easter Sunrise R714 April 5, 2007

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coffe mugs. Umberalla. Raincoats. Note pad. Fabeze and Ironfree. Coats. 3pr shoes(me) 2pr(DH). 3/4 pants. 2 dress shirts(me) 2pr long pants(me). went on Pacific Suns sailing 19th feb. Yes I overpacked for me. Did ok for DH. Suexxx

Hi

Your lanyard is for your cruise card so you have it with you always. I've been getting a couple of ebay so I have different colours! :p Haven't cruised yet but cant wait!!!! :D

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
If you own a laptop computer and are taking a digital camera, take both. We downloaded our photos in the cabin each night, burnt to CD and erased the memory card. Came home with hundreds of pictures after 10 days.

Thats what i did. Also loaded it up with movies and other interesting bits for when one of us just needed to zone out for a little while.

I havent been on this thread for ages but saw there were new posts so decided to take a peak.

Loved the sesame street clip.

star man just noticed the link to your photos what a wonderful talent you have , do you plan on going into this when you finish your education?

karon

If you own a laptop computer and are taking a digital camera, take both. We downloaded our photos in the cabin each night, burnt to CD and erased the memory card. Came home with hundreds of pictures after 10 days.

Yep, this is a great idea. Very efficient. We came home with 2500 photos between both cameras and I'm glad we copied them to the laptop because I couldnt get the idea out of my head that we were going to lose our cameras and memory cards and have our pics lost forever! :eek:

My little tidbit of advice is don't overpack. I did. Everyone says that, but I seriously learnt the hard way. I took everything from insect repellent to a first aid kit to binoculars to the Febreeze to the different tops for different weather... blah!

In the end, I only circulated between a pairs of pants, a skirt and shorts and a few tops and one formal outfit [washing them frequently]. I wore beaded sandal/slides during the day and heels at night. I didnt need the 872,934,32 pieces of clothing I brought along. I have learnt this now.

I didnt use the insect repellent, I had no need to. I forgot about the binoculars and the Febreeze was a waste of suitcase space. It's useless in my opinion. I even took a sewing kit, just in case. The funniest part was, I actually did get a whole in the seam of my shorts :o and even though I had a sewing kit, I DIDN'T BOTHER because I was too busy having fun and couldnt be bothered sitting in my cabin sewing! :D

So whilst all these suggestions are great for first-time cruisers, I think that you will find you learn your own lessons, regardless, just like I did...

Next time, I'm packing a minimal amount of clothing, camera, laptop, passport. 2 pairs of shoes [casual and heels], make-up, deodorant, 1 formal outfit, shampoo and THAT's IT! Anything else I think I MIGHT need, I don't.

Take two packs of seasickness tabs - we used our first pack early on and had to buy some at the cruise shop, they were reasonably priced, but it would have been easier to have them with us rather than risk throwing up while en route to the shop. Lol. :o Great ideas everyone!

Another tip, sorry if it's already been mentioned, is...

Tie a bright ribbon or something that distinguishes your suitcase from the other million black suitcases at the airport.

I can't tell you how many times I picked up somebody else's bag after being certain that THIS ONE was going to be mine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Guys! This is my first post! I can't believe I never knew about this site before!

My tip for packing must haves would HAVE to be Immodium incase you get a dodgy tummy and a laxitive incase you get blocked! I've found the laxies to be invaluable on my past 2 cruises!! I think it's all the rich food they feed you :D I just wish i'd thought of it for the first cruise! This is TMI but after 4 days I ended up sitting down with a whole bag of sugar free lollies and eating the lot. Thank goodness sugar free lollies have a laxitive effect LOL!

Looking forward to chatting with everyone about their cruises :D

• 4 weeks later...
Just got back and it reminded me whilst on my cruise that I shuold have remembered to bring my own toilet paper. P&O's is so hard and 11 days of it hurts:eek:

On that subject, I always pack a couple of the purse size packs of tissues for trips to the loo on the smaller islands. Most of them don't have toilet paper, or if they do it runs out early on in the day. Some of the locals even charged us 50c for paper in Vila on our first cruise! They're small enough that they don't take up too much room in your bag and very handy ;)

Hi all.If you ROLL your clothes you can fit a lot more in. My girl friend help me pack for our 1st cruise in Feb. It was amaizing. She even got 2prof flippers,snorkles,masks and ref shoes into our 2 cases. Boy did I have trouble packing to come home. Had to buy a big sports bag. Over packed as all newbies do. Will do better next time(I HOPE). Suexxx