My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

Hello!

Back again. I have a chance to nab #306 for the November 18 departure to Marquesas etc. Some posters say Porthole Staterooms not that bad. Deck #3 has some access advantages, etc. From what I can see, the PHs don't make THAT big of an impediment. Reactions?

Thanks,

Smitty

My review will include my knowledge of 18 trips to French Polynesia and/or the Cook Islands which includes 7 cruises, 5 being on the Paul Gauguin. Some will be inclusive of many trips and some will focus on our latest trip that being the Reunion Cruise of July 26, 2017.

For you that drive into the LA basin to fly to Tahiti we’ve done this many different ways. The most affordable for us as we drive 230 miles is to park at the Fly Away next to the Van Nuys airport off Roscoe. It’s only$4 bucks per day and the R/T for the bus to LAX is around $18 bucks. So for about $90 the two of us can go for 12 days and this includes the parking and bus round trip. Fly Away drops us off right in front of the terminal. There are several Fly Away parking areas around the LA basin. If you live in the LA area you have other options such as shuttles but the price tag could be higher unless you live very close to LAX.

First let me give some detail about the air carriers. Overthe years we’ve taken 5 different carriers but I’ll focus on Air Tahiti Nui andAir France as they are the big two.

Air Tahiti Nui – Located in the Tom Bradley InternationalTerminal at LAX. If you drive, shuttle or take a bus you will be dropped off right in front of the terminal. If you’re flying into LAX and then going over to the international terminal you will proceed differently depending on the terminal you arrive at. If you arrive at terminal 1-3 you will need to go outside the terminal and take the LAX terminal bus to the international terminal. If you arrive at terminals 4 – 8 you can access the tunnel/skyway system which will allow you to stay in the secured area. This is only valuable if you’ve checked your bags straight through to Tahiti and you’ve already got your ATN boarding pass. Do an internet search for LAX / tunnel / international terminal.

ATN typically opens 4 hours prior to departure. If you get there 3 ½ hours prior to departure there will be a long line ;) They will weigh your bags and if over by a few pounds typically no big deal but this isn’t the case on the return so be warned. If you’re going economy we prefer the side seats as the AirBus 340’s have a configuration of 2-4-2. This will change when they get their new Boeing 787’s. Most take the red-eye which is what we prefer.You will get a light meal about 45 minutes after takeoff and breakfast about 90 minutes before landing. Nothing fancy but it is edible. Soft drinks, juice,beer, wine and water are included … as much as you want. ATN has 5 planes, four have been re-furbished, and one has not. You have no way of telling which plane you will end up with, it’s a roll of the dice. We’ve been cold on the flights and hot on the flights and a few times just right, again it is a roll of the dice. Flight attendants are French Polynesian and are very nice, they change into local garb after the takeoff which adds to the charm, your heading to paradise. Downside for some is the late night return flight leaving FAAA international around midnight. Some head for the airport once the Paul Gauguin arrives back on Tahiti, usually around 7:30 pm. This makes it possible to get off board and catch the late flight.

Air France – Located in terminal 2. Air France opens 4 hours prior to departure. Currently using Boeing 777’s and on our last flight December 2015 was a 2-3-2 configuration. The 777 is a quiet plane and most are newer than the 340’s that ATN fly’s. Flight attendants are French and charming. Same as ATN in the meal department, a petite meal after takeoff followed by breakfast 90 minutes before landing. Same free drinks. IMO the food was superior on Air France. A red eye flight with an early am landing. Down side can be the return as it is early morning, about an 8:00 am flight. This means getting up at 4:00 am on the Paul Gauguin unless you’re spending a few extradays. Typically, not always, AF is a tad less money if you’re booking your ownairfare.

If you’re having Paul Gauguin book your flight as a package you may not be able to pick the carrier unless you pay for a deviation. If you’re on your first Paul Gauguin cruise I recommend purchasing all-inclusive, it takes the guess work out of it and PG is a well-oiled machine. As we’ve taken so many trips to French Polynesia we typically book some things on our own. I’ll talk about that later. Bottom line: we prefer Air France but that may change once ATN has their new aircraft … some coming as early as late summer 2018.

Arriving at Faaa international airport – No matter what airline you arrive on you will be taken through customs which can take 30 – 60 minutes depending on where you were sitting in the aircraft. As you arrive at customs there will be a small Tahitian greeting party play music and a dancer or two, always sets the tone for your visit to paradise … I love the ambience, gets me all excited. As you get through customs you will grab your bags and proceed through the agriculture check but I must say in my 18 trips we’ve never been stopped and checked. Once out the door you will be in the open terminal where you will either grab a taxi, have ground transportation arranged or you will rent a car. A Paul Gauguin representative will be there to great all and check your name off the list. They will assist you in getting to the right person for pre-arranged transportation or point you to the taxi area. If you’re renting a car go to your right and proceed about 100 feet where you will find the desk for all the major car rental places. Past the car rental desk is the bank ATM.

The next part will include pre-cruise suggestions and how to get the most out of your time spent on Tahiti prior to boarding. Then suggestions after you board but prior to the ship departing. I’ll add this over the next few days.

Pops ....

I've stayed in 310 ... loved it!

Easy on/off

Same stateroom as most others ...

Large cubby area under the port holes which was nice for extra stuff.

Grab it .... many returnees go deck 3/4 as the price is good plus the easy access. You mozzy up on deck for your balcony ;)

Just getting air sorted as they can't get me on the AF from LAX. Slightly more cumbersome Portland to PPT. All is well and thanks again!

Pops ....

I've stayed in 310 ... loved it!

Easy on/off

Same stateroom as most others ...

Large cubby area under the port holes which was nice for extra stuff.

Grab it .... many returnees go deck 3/4 as the price is good plus the easy access. You mozzy up on deck for your balcony ;)

Yes I still am posting stuff about Moorea ... yup I know backtracking ...

Everyone including myself says to stop by Carmeline's when your in the main village. So here are the temptation photos ....

carmelines%20%282%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

carmelines%20%281%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

carmelines%20%283%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

So what did we choose?

carmelines%20%285%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Followed by ....

carmelines%20%284%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Remember your in FRENCH Polynesia ....

And the ice cream is locally made with Tahitian vanilla ;)

Hey, here's a question .....I'm dealing with PG directly on the 11/18 14-day trip. I am a single traveler. They quote $10,650 (w/air). I cam doing my own air and so they'll knock off $1450, bringing their end down to $9,200. Their catalogue lists the PH stateroom at $7,645 for this itinerary (w/air). I know, the "pp" is buried but can I get this cheaper? Thanks again! :-)

Yes I still am posting stuff about Moorea ... yup I know backtracking ...

Everyone including myself says to stop by Carmeline's when your in the main village. So here are the temptation photos ....

carmelines%20%282%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

carmelines%20%281%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

carmelines%20%283%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

So what did we choose?

carmelines%20%285%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Followed by ....

carmelines%20%284%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Remember your in FRENCH Polynesia ....

And the ice cream is locally made with Tahitian vanilla ;)

I've always booked through PG. I know how to save money on the islands for pre/post stays but for the actual cost of the cruise I wouldn't have a clue, sorry. Furthermore this forum frowns on referring discounters as that opens up a whole can of worms and can be a very heated conversation. I would prefer that my thread does not get hijacked on this topic ... got a question on where to save money on the islands I'm a good person to ask ;)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Something for today ....

Yes still on Moorea ...

At the primary tender location there is a church. It's a round church, you can't miss it. When we are on Moorea on a Sunday we typically visit a church to listen to the incredible singing in their native language. The round church is a good place to go hang and listen. You can go inside or simply sit outside and listen during the worship singing.

French Polynesian ladies typically wear whites dresses.

round%20church%20%281%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

round%20church%20%282%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

We usually sit outside ....

round%20church%20%283%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Sometimes they will come outside ask you to join them. No big deal if you don't, you only will get smiles ...

round%20church%20%284%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Back to listing ....

round%20church%20%285%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

3000 AVENIDA DEL SOL,ATASCADERO, CA 93422

Yup, still on Moorea, haven't given you all the tips and today is a biggie ;)

Very few see the big waterfall on Moorea. The people who do typically go by excursion but many of the tours no longer take you here as it is on private property and the road can be a bit slippery.

With that being said you can visit ob your own but adhere to my recommendations. First you need to find the right dirt road off the main circle the island paved road in the village of Afareaitu which is on the east side of the island. Then be prepared that you will be stopped by a property owner. Drive slow and wait for a person who gets your attention, it's likely to happen. A fee of around $10 USD or $1000 CFP should be enough to secure passage through the property.

As you continue to drive up the dirt road stay aware of the conditions, once the road gets a bit rugged or slippery don't take the rental car any further, from here it's by foot though it isn't all that far, maybe 300 - 400 meters. Keep your ears open so you can here the waterfall, there will be a trail off the dirt road.

Here is the overhead Google map as well as a picture of the correct dirt road your looking for. Remember adhere to my suggestions ....

Be courteous/respectful at all times ;)

road-XL.jpg

water%20fall%20dirt%20road%20%281%20of%201%29-L.jpg

Finally .... on to Tahiti

Thought a good place to start is what you can expect at the Carrefour Market on Tahiti, in this case the one less than a mile from the IC. Many FP travel veterans will walk down to the market and grab a few things to hold them over until boarding time.

There are a few places to eat around the market ....

restaurant%20at%20Carrfour-XL.jpg

Prices are reasonable at the deli counter ...

untitled%20%284%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

Grab snacks .... notice the source

untitled%20%287%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

Sweets

untitled%20%283%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

Juices ....

untitled%20%285%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

And of course the local cold stuff ... notice the price

untitled%20%286%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

We've driven around the island of Tahiti several times, even over to the Iti side. Most tourist never get beyond a 5 mile radius of Papeete but there are so many cool things to see / visit on the arrival island.

Here is one such place ... Harrison Smith Botanical Garden. Located close to Taravao which is where Nui & Iti join. We spent 2 hours there and enjoyed the scenery .... great place to bring something you buy to eat at the large market in Taravao. Not many people, very quiet and serene.

We always rent a car but you can take the public bus for $3 each and ask to be let off at the garden. Flag a bus at the main road when your ready to return. A car allows you to go to the market, stop for lunch/picnic and see other incredible sites around Tahiti which I'll share in some upcoming post.

garden%20map-L.jpg

botanical%20garden%20tahiti%20%2815%20of%2015%29-XL.jpg

botanical%20garden%20tahiti%20%283%20of%2015%29-L.jpg

botanical%20garden%20tahiti%20%287%20of%2015%29-XL.jpg

botanical%20garden%20tahiti%20%282%20of%2015%29-L.jpg

botanical%20garden%20tahiti%20%2814%20of%2015%29-XL.jpg

OK ... lets talk about the Grande Dame of Tahiti resorts, the Intercontinental Tahiti Resort.

We've stayed at 3 of the major resorts on Tahiti and our favorite is the IC. The Tiki god and his mrs. stand over the entrance to greet you.

Tiki%20gods%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

The IC is a well oiled machine and you know it the minute you arrive. The 'hunky' boys are there to grab your bags as you registrar, once the paperwork is completed the 'hunky' boys will lead you to your room with bags in tow, Why 'hunky' boys? They are really nice guys who will help you when you need it but they are also eye candy for the ladies ... topless and in local traditional clothing. We've been there so many times several know us by site and always greet us big time.

Recently the IC built several new OWB which are very nice, all have wonderful views of Moorea, 11 miles away across the Sea of the Moon.

outrigger%20IC%20Tahiti%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

If you arive on a late arrival your view from the lobby looks like this ...

IC%20Tahiti%20at%20night%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Most rooms on the property have nice views of Moorea ... and as you walk through the resort the views are stunning ...

Smaller infinity pool ...

infinity%20pool%20with%20palm%20tree%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

infinity%20pool%20with%20palm%20tree2%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

pool%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

More pictures/info of the IC Tahiti to follow ...

Lets continue on our journey around the IC Tahiti property ....

Looking from the side of the small infinity pool toward the south side of the property and some of the older OWB's.

IC%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Lay in a hammock and enjoy the view of Moorea.

hammock%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

While laying in the hammock look up ...

starburst-XL.jpg

Walk around the property and find your special place to watch the sunset ...

untitled%20%2819%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

I love to grab a lounger for the day and just relax, get on Tahiti time. Easy to find a place in the shade for your lounger ...

IC%20Tahiti%20%281%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Notice how busy it is .... easy to find a place all to your own ... well usually

IC%20tahiti-XL.jpg

More of the IC Tahiti to follow ...

You might see a wedding going on .... this was taken from the small infinity pool while the ceremony was on the little island next to the pool.untitled%20%289%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

The flowers are incredible around the IC property ...

untitled%20%2814%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

During the week there are shows at the IC ... some of the very best you will see in all of Polynesia.

Marquesas warriors ..

IC%20Tahiti%20dancing%20%281%20of%202%29-XL.jpg

IC%20Hotels%20%284%20of%207%29-XL.jpg

The big smiles ...

untitled%20%2810%20of%2019%29-XL.jpg

The sensual ...

untitled%20%288%20of%2019%29-M.jpg

Love all of the pictures! We are booked on the Jan 6th PG cruise and a 1 night pre-cruise stay at the IC on Tahiti. Your pictures and tips are incredibly helpful and very appreciated. The pics of the IC really confirmed our decision to stay there :)

Are there any restaurants or markets close to the IC where we can get a less expensive bite to eat? We won’t have a car so prefer something within walking distance.

Thanks!

Karen

Edited by longhorn5

I know from experience how disappointing it is not to have lots of responses to a thread, especially when you've put so much work into it, but I, for one, am finding it invaluable. And it's had almost four and a half thousand views! Quite a few of those views are mine, as I check it out every day,, and I bet I'm not the only one.

Some people might be like me in not wanting to clutter up your great posts with "chatter". I haven't been to French Polynesia yet but I'm planning to go next year so do please keep up the good work and don't stop me now - I'm havin' such a good time.