Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

I'm thinking since they were disembarking, maybe they were waiting for an elevator and she stood on a suitcase or something. How else could an 8yr old go over the railing?

I have an 8yr old and this brings me to terrible sadness for that family and their days ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm thinking since they were disembarking, maybe they were waiting for an elevator and she stood on a suitcase or something. How else could an 8yr old go over the railing?

I have an 8yr old and this brings me to terrible sadness for that family and their days ahead.

Children do climb. I scolded a child once on a ship while his parents were too busy drinking to see that he was climbing on the rails.

Of course I got dirty looks!!

I can't seem to wrap my head around the HOW either. My first thought was leaning over the railing to look down below. We just got off the Sensation on Monday and traveled with a 3 year old. He was fascinated with pressing his face against the glass to get a better look at what was happening in the Atrium. We do our best to constantly be vigilant about safety, but sometimes, things happen so quickly there's nothing you can do. I can't even begin to imagine what this family is going through!

On Glory, deck 9 is Lido, top deck of the atrium. She would have fallen from deck 9 to deck 3. Had to have, to end up on the lobby floor. EM

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's not about judgement at all. It's about how I can be more proactive in protecting my children and all children on cruise ships. I'm not judging anyone! Whenever something like this happens, I always think about what I can do to try to prevent this from happening to my child or another child. Selfish of me? Absolutely! But if we don't learn something from tragedies like this, why discuss them at all.

Agreed.

I'm not so sure about that. It seems that the news is always quick to report on accidents and incidents that happen on ships. When was the last time you heard a news story about a hotel with a norovirus outbreak? I haven't ever seen one, but it can and does happens everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps

There are only a couple spots on deck 9 where she could have fell from if that’s really where it happened. I’ve heard conflicting reports.

This is the pic from embarkation today on deck 3. I haven’t heard anything else yet. Not saying this is where it happened because I don’t know. It’s the only thing that looks out of the ordinary. So sad.

49d3fd984c994f1073813c02ac1df8fe.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

So sad and still shaken over this tragedy. I am a 67 year old grandma and taking my 6 yo grandson on the vista by myself in January. I cant be careful enough with him. I know for sure I wont let him out of my sight. Really feel for the family.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's not about judgement at all. It's about how I can be more proactive in protecting my children and all children on cruise ships. I'm not judging anyone! Whenever something like this happens, I always think about what I can do to try to prevent this from happening to my child or another child. Selfish of me? Absolutely! But if we don't learn something from tragedies like this, why discuss them at all.

Agreed except the part where you called yourself selfish. You are definitely looking out for your own, and that isn’t selfish. You are looking for solutions to save your own kids and others’ kids as well.

Yes this girl is gone, but this mistake can be learned from so that it doesn’t happen again to someone else.

I am surprised that more of these types of accidents don't happen more often. The way children run around the ship unsupervised it is no wonder. The article didn't elaborate as to the circumstances surrounding her fall. Very sad way to end a cruise for her family.

Our grandson - reminded us of a monkey as he wanted to climb anything and everything once on board. Spent the week saying “no or you know better”.

He has a very distinctive scar from crawling up the armoire drawers - after it fell on him - in his parents bedroom.

Apparently someone died in the Miami area today due to an accident with his mower.

I survived without seatbelts.

Accidents happen, everywhere and everyday.

Tragic yes. A learning experience, yes. Children are so quick, dash here and there. Again, a tragic accident.

I used to think the leash on a child was cruel. In today’s environment, the parent knows where that child is (and, no, haven’t seen one in awhile, even at Disney World).

Larking around happens and accidents happen, my sympathies go out to the parents. I just hope that this doesn’t result in some knee jerk over-reaction to raise every railing by 12 inches and put safety catch nets in every atrium. You cannot make everything in the world absolutely safe.

I give it 20 years and we'll have bars or fencing on our balconys.:*

Such a tragic accident. My heart goes out to the family, those that witnessed it and the employees. My daughter is around that age and my heart hurts just thinking of this. I would say I'm a very over protective mother, but kids are quick and accidents can happen to anyone. So sad. :loudcry:

How awful for the crew who may have had to deal with this tradegy to have to go back to work, business as usual.

I was thinking exactly this when I saw that photo posted of the lobby. What a thing to have happen, especially in front of numerous people.

We boarded Victory the day after a child had drowned in the main pool on the previous cruise. The deejay above the pool was the first one to spot the child and was first on the scene. To Carnival's credit, he was given the next three days off.

Larking around happens and accidents happen, my sympathies go out to the parents. I just hope that this doesn’t result in some knee jerk over-reaction to raise every railing by 12 inches and put safety catch nets in every atrium. You cannot make everything in the world absolutely safe.

No, but I've noticed a move away from towering high atriums in more recently built hotels, as well as on Vista (and soon, Horizon). Some of this shift is due to engineering and climate-control issues, but I think some is also due to liability concerns.