Hurricane Irma

bee-ess

We are on the same cruise in November. Totally agree with every word you say, and will have two extra beers to help the economy (!) as well as spending as much as we can.

While I agree with the sentiment I think the last thing the devastated islanders need right now is hordes of tourists gawping and photographing the destruction.

They need concerted international aid to rebuild and reinstate electricity and clean water supplies.

I hope the cruise lines, who profit greatly from the beautiful Caribbean, will put their hands in their coffers and enable the islanders to return to normality as soon as possible.

While I agree with the sentiment I think the last thing the devastated islanders need right now is hordes of tourists gawping and photographing the destruction.

They need concerted international aid to rebuild and reinstate electricity and clean water supplies.

I hope the cruise lines, who profit greatly from the beautiful Caribbean, will put their hands in their coffers and enable the islanders to return to normality as soon as possible.

I doubt any cruise lines will be calling until the infrastructure is back in place, and no one us talking about disaster sightseeing.

I doubt any cruise lines will be calling until the infrastructure is back in place, and no one us talking about disaster sightseeing.

No, of course no one is talking about disaster sightseeing.

Lots of selfie sticks at the Grenfell tower though....

I am on a cruise in november and we are going to the places that have been affected by irma. I was hopping that we would still be docking at them as these poor people rely on the tourism. So far P&O have not said anything.

This is pretty much a "cut & paste" from what I posted on my roll-call board - I am sure that P&O will wait a while before making any binding decisions. They will be following corporate instructions from Carnival HQ and P&O itself is in the fortunate position (if you can call it that in this terrible situation) of not having any of its ships in the Caribbean at present. I think their first will be Arcadia in mid-October as that is the first of the T/As this autumn. They may wait until the last minute before updating passengers with any amendments to the schedule and possibly not until ships have already left the UK.

This will remain a very fluid situation for months to come as while the islands will want to get the ships back in as soon as possible, some of the cruise lines may not be so willing and in the Caribbean, the cruise lines are, it has to be said, spoiled for choice. Sadly for the worst affected islands, there are other destinations the cruise lines can easily reschedule their ships into (and do so regularly in the Caribbean for a variety of reasons) - many of the islands are so close together, it is baffling to see how some have escaped and yet others that are not far away have been so devastated.

For those heading to the Caribbean on this autumn's T/As, I personally expect we will have to wait a while for more news. All of the information coming out from other cruise lines regarding rerouting ships with changes to the ports of call are those companies with ships already in the area or about to enter the area very soon.

I am on a cruise in november and we are going to the places that have been affected by irma. I was hopping that we would still be docking at them as these poor people rely on the tourism. So far P&O have not said anything.

For goodness sake - it's less than a week since the disaster. As has been said, more time is needed so that the situation in each island can be considered.

There is a whole range of responses on their Q&A page on the website if you would take the time to look before you leap into print.

http://www.pocruises.com/caribbeanupdate/

There is a whole range of responses on their Q&A page on the website if you would take the time to look before you leap into print.

http://www.pocruises.com/caribbeanupdate/

I quite agree - so many questions get asked on so many boards/threads where the specific answer is already available (often from the cruise companies' own websites). These boards would be half their size if unneccessary questions were not asked and also importantly, duplicate questions. I don't think the "search board" button gets a lot of use by some people.

Rant over!

Due out mid November on a cruise. Hope we can get to affected islands to be able to help their economies by shopping, using restaurants and hiring taxis.

We are also going in late November and hope to go to these as well

we all need to spend money in there shops and bars

Hi

Like everyone praying for the islanders, but would be nice to hear from P&O as well.

We have heard from them (and their sister companies Princess, Cunard, HAL, Carnival etc). They are being very clear on their position and trying to answer what they think will be the "top questions" from most people. They have published their response on their website and on their Facebook page - what more do you want to hear? Go looking and you will find the answers

Edited by Toftwood
Spelling error