Ice, Ice-It's About the Ice Cubes

EastCoastLilac

This is my first post. I've already gained ALOT by reading and researching. It's been about three years since I discovered CC via a google search.

Didn't give up hope after a previous trip which, sadly, had to be cancelled. Nevermind, here I am now, with a question for experienced QM2 folk.

Feels silly asking such simple questions, but here goes...

1) The room/cabin fridge is simply a fridge, no freezer for ice cube storage, is that correct?

I have a foot injury and need to ice my foot a couple of times a day, depending on the stress it gets.

2) Are ice cubes always available in Kings Court buffet? Are they available there at all?

3) Or, would I need to ask for ice cubes to be sent to the cabin?

Just trying to streamline the ice cube process. Answers appreciated!

Hi Lilac.

Don't worry. You will be fine. Each room comes with an ice bucket. If your steward can see that you are using a lot of ice, then it is replenished morning and night, when the rooms are cleaned. If you are not using much then it might only be replenished once a day.

As for the Lido, there is an ice machine at each drinks station and at busy times they complement it with a large plastic tub full of ice. The ice is meant to be collected in one of their own glasses or paper cups. For hygiene reasons you should not use your own containers. However, it is simple and hygienic to fill up a couple of glasses with ice and take them to a table to transfer into your own container.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, ice is available in King's Court at the self-serve beverage bar and yes, your steward can bring ice to your room, regularly, in an ice bucket.

I also traveled with an injury, years ago, which needed to be iced. Extra towels and ice were readily available.

Have a wonderful voyage!

This is my first post. I've already gained ALOT by reading and researching. It's been about three years since I discovered CC via a google search.

Didn't give up hope after a previous trip which, sadly, had to be cancelled. Nevermind, here I am now, with a question for experienced QM2 folk.

1) The room/cabin fridge is simply a fridge, no freezer for ice cube storage, is that correct?

I have a foot injury and need to ice my foot a couple of times a day, depending on the stress it gets.

2) Are ice cubes always available in Kings Court buffet? Are they available there at all?

If memory serves me correctly, the ice bucket fits into the fridge so you can keep them longer. Room service or your steward will top up at your request.

If memory serves me correctly, the ice bucket fits into the fridge so you can keep them longer. Room service or your steward will top up at your request.

Yes, it does. When you first meet your Cabin Steward I would explain that you need plenty of ice and I'm sure they will take care of it.

The only time we've had a problem was when we had a Norovirus outbreak and the steward wasn't allowed to provide ice. I collected it from the Kings Court or the nearest bar.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, I hope the long corridors on the ship don't stress your foot too much !

Edited by Host Hattie

Hi Lilac.

Don't worry. You will be fine. Each room comes with an ice bucket. If your steward can see that you are using a lot of ice, then it is replenished morning and night, when the rooms are cleaned. If you are not using much then it might only be replenished once a day.

As for the Lido, there is an ice machine at each drinks station and at busy times they complement it with a large plastic tub full of ice. The ice is meant to be collected in one of their own glasses or paper cups. For hygiene reasons you should not use your own containers. However, it is simple and hygienic to fill up a couple of glasses with ice and take them to a table to transfer into your own container.

You are not using the ice cubes for drinks so it does not matter.

The lido ice tubs are not always there- they put them out during some but not all busy times. Use the steward.

They are in my opinion a "make do" for not having enough ice machines (that is, the ice machines run out of ice in busy times) so they put out small tubs of ice which people then either use their own glasses or the ships glass with their hands, or their hands, to scoop out ice cubes. Its not monitored and is in my opinion a gross sanitation practice. Cunard is great on hand sanitizers but they do not have enough ice machines and the tub ice -dip your own- is a poor workaround, I am surprised they CDC does not down grade them but maybe they don't do it during cdc inspections.

You are not using the ice cubes for drinks so it does not matter.

The hygiene aspect is for other people's benefit. As I understand it, the hygiene part is that if you use your own container, or a glass from which you have already drunk, there will be germs on it. Some people actually touch the spouts of the drink machines and ice machine as they fill it up. A dirty container will contaminate it.

I actually saw one man make a huge fuss to the staff because he had seen another passenger re-using a glass at the drink machine and touching the spout. He stood there waiting until the staff member finished serving someone else and came to sanitise the drink machine or declare it out of order.

Even if you know your containers are clean and you are not touching the spout, you don't want to put yourself in this situation!

I frequently need to fill my own containers and I always do it through the clean glass method, as per the instructions, even though I know it would be perfectly sanitary otherwise. :D

Dragging your hands over or into a tub of ice cubes does the same thing too. they need 2 ice machines.

Tubs of ice cubes are a bad practice, too easy to put dirty glasses, and or dirty hands in the ice cubes.

What surprised me was seeing the tub of ice, I thought it was a temporary problem - maybe the ice machine was broken but 2 years later, still had the tub of ice. There is room for another ice machine

Edited by edwardh1

Hi Lilac.

Thanks fantasy51. A cup of ice a few times a day for the ice bag should do it. A polite request to the steward if I can't endure the walk. Good to know these things.

jimmybean: Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, ice is available in King's Court at the self-serve beverage bar and yes, your steward can bring ice to your room, regularly, in an ice bucket.

I also traveled with an injury, years ago, which needed to be iced. Extra towels and ice were readily available.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Thank you jimmybean for the reassurances and the image of injured passengers with icebags and such travelling in luxury on the seas! Hope you are fully recovered, too.

laktex: If memory serves me correctly, the ice bucket fits into the fridge so you can keep them longer. Room service or your steward will top up at your request.

Thank you laktex. I did wonder the capacity of the fridge. Now to choose, champagne or ice? Both essential. ;)

Host Hattie: Yes, it does. When you first meet your Cabin Steward I would explain that you need plenty of ice and I'm sure they will take care of it.

The only time we've had a problem was when we had a Norovirus outbreak and the steward wasn't allowed to provide ice. I collected it from the Kings Court or the nearest bar.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, I hope the long corridors on the ship don't stress your foot too much !

Thank you Hattie. I agree with you. I'm a bit concerned, but will take it as easy as I can. There is still some time for healing, so I will hope for the best.

Scrapnana Just let your steward know when you need ice or if you need extra (the ice buckets are not huge) and they will be glad to bring it to you.

Thank you Scrapnana. It's nice to read that.

edwardh1: The lido ice tubs are not always there- they put them out during some but not all busy times. Use the steward.

Thank you edwardh1, for another recommendation to ask the steward. That may be best depending on the pain level.

Thanks all for responding to my very first post on CC.

By the way, I remember a filthy ice making machine at a hotel I stayed at. It was probably a breeding ground for who knows what. Yuck. Once I saw the bits of mystery stuff in the ice, I went to look at the machine. Being disgusted by it, I gave up ice until I checked out.

• 2 years later...

I'm sitting here nine days with bronchitis, and looking at my old thread. :eek:

I found that asking the steward for ice was all I needed, I brought my own icebag and all was fine.

Thanks for all the replies, it helped me to know ahead of time that I could manage my injury with plenty of ice.

Thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome. How did you enjoy your trip ?

Hattie,

It was fantastic. If I could make the voyage often, it would be wonderful.

However, there was terrible weather, rough seas, seasick feelings. No amount of meclizine, ginger, or green apples helped. After a couple of days I was okay. The seasick surprised me, as I thought the size of the ship would be soothing. It wasn't. I felt the movement from sail away.

The ocean was rough. Waves hit the Golden Lion windows and darkened the room- everyone taken by surprise. I wouldn't trade lots of these moments for a smooth sea.

Walking down the hallway, I found myself floating midair with the floor sinking and me with no floor under my feet.

There were lots of good memories and I wish I had sailed before, but that's life. Last year we crossed twice, even through a hurricane.

It's a marvelous way to enjoy the big skies and the horizon. We saw some porpoises, rainbows, ships loaded with trailers and a bird or two who hitched a ride.

There is more to say, but I suppose that should be a different thread.

Thanks for asking and I know I should have come back to share, but I was very ill arriving back in the US and then I thought there was not much the board would learn from a new Cunarder. But, I am glad to share anyway. :D

Dear EastCoastLilac,

Welcome. Cruise Critic began by being on AOL.

FYI: Not only on the only Ocean plying Oceanliner ( QM2) but all cruise ships.

1.) They are only Coolers. Not refrigerators. They used to have small freezers in them but over a score of years ago now.

On your injury of the foot.

Asking the Medical area on the ship they may provide a location for that Blue FROZEN ICe..and/or Dry Ice and you may carry aboard a container ..cooler to keep them in.

Ask your Medical Practioner about cooling your body temperature down as well as it has now been proven so -so many medical benefits.

2.)

Ice Cubes; Are nice but as many others know as well have shown here the practice of obtaing it from the Buffet style areas on ships are not wise as many may not and/or do not know of quality practices they should observe.. Infections by bacteria are not only obtained from entry from a sore etc...

3.)

Asking is one of the best ways. Cabin Service does provide that as well staff serving your cabin.

::

Hope this helps you resolve your needs more too.

Dear EastCoastLilac,

Welcome. Cruise Critic began by being on AOL.

FYI: Not only on the only Ocean plying Oceanliner ( QM2) but all cruise ships.

1.) They are only Coolers. Not refrigerators. They used to have small freezers in them but over a score of years ago now.

On your injury of the foot.

Asking the Medical area on the ship they may provide a location for that Blue FROZEN ICe..and/or Dry Ice and you may carry aboard a container ..cooler to keep them in.

Ask your Medical Practioner about cooling your body temperature down as well as it has now been proven so -so many medical benefits.

2.)

Ice Cubes; Are nice but as many others know as well have shown here the practice of obtaing it from the Buffet style areas on ships are not wise as many may not and/or do not know of quality practices they should observe.. Infections by bacteria are not only obtained from entry from a sore etc...

3.)

Asking is one of the best ways. Cabin Service does provide that as well staff serving your cabin.

::

Hope this helps you resolve your needs more too.

Thanks AAAAAmerican, everytime I needed ice, it was in the cabin's ice bucket, which was usually in the fridge. A swollen foot didn't keep me from exploring the ship, just rested it as much as possible.

I thought there was not much the board would learn from a new Cunarder.

Actually I love reading the thoughts of a 'newbie' and whilst I may not learn anything new it gives me joy when they end the review with I'm hooked and already booked our next cruise.

Enjoy your cruising wherever it takes you.

Hattie,

It was fantastic. If I could make the voyage often, it would be wonderful.

However, there was terrible weather, rough seas, seasick feelings. No amount of meclizine, ginger, or green apples helped. After a couple of days I was okay. The seasick surprised me, as I thought the size of the ship would be soothing. It wasn't. I felt the movement from sail away.

The ocean was rough. Waves hit the Golden Lion windows and darkened the room- everyone taken by surprise. I wouldn't trade lots of these moments for a smooth sea.

Walking down the hallway, I found myself floating midair with the floor sinking and me with no floor under my feet.

There were lots of good memories and I wish I had sailed before, but that's life. Last year we crossed twice, even through a hurricane.

It's a marvelous way to enjoy the big skies and the horizon. We saw some porpoises, rainbows, ships loaded with trailers and a bird or two who hitched a ride.

There is more to say, but I suppose that should be a different thread.

Thanks for asking and I know I should have come back to share, but I was very ill arriving back in the US and then I thought there was not much the board would learn from a new Cunarder. But, I am glad to share anyway. :D

Thanks so much for reporting back, it's always good to read about a Cunard voyage.

Sorry to hear about the seasickness, I have suffered myself in the past and it was the reason I didn't cruise until 2008.