Dealing with "Difficult" Posts or Threads on the Holland America Board

Host Walt

Thought I'd bring this post forward as a reminder. Also, when you get upset, annoyed and/or emotional while surfing the Cruise Critic boards, see the link in item 4. It's a real fun link.

Thanks, Heather, for your kind comments.

Another Cruise Critic Member posted this on another board. It is worth repeating here:

Tip #1 Ignore the Vocal Minority and this is a much better place

There are plenty of nice, helpful, friendly people on this board with no baggage that just want to talk about cruising.

Tip#2 Read the rules and follow them

They're fair. They make this a good place. If followed and enforced Tip #1 is not necessary.

Tip#3 You can gain a lot by just reading

Don't think you have to interact with someone you find distasteful to gain knowledge. Petty, clique-oriented posts and responses aside, there's a wealth of knowledge here

Tip#4 Chat room and Message board 101: Don't be afraid to turn off your computer

It's easy to get sucked into controversial, demeaning, nasty threads and get upset about it. Remember: This is not real. Odds are you will never meet very many of these people in real life unless you want to. Hint: If this is not fun, click on something that is. You have the power. Try this.

Tip #5 You already registered, that's all you need

There is no secret club, chosen few, select bunch or special people. You don't have to go out of your way to get along with or suck up to any board member or group of board members. Your question and your response has just as much value as anybody else's. If someone condemns you for that they, not you, are wrong.

Tip #6 This is not a democracy

Make no doubt about it: We are are here at the pleasure of the board administration. They're tough but they're fair. Follow the rules and you'll be fine. If you have questions about how they run the place, ask. I've always gotten an answer to any question I've asked.

• 2 months later...
Don't overlook the "IGNORE" function on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

If there's someone that you would rather not see in a thread, just drop their user name in there. If enough folks ignore them, they'll simply go away.

Thank you for that url!! I needed that function.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Walt,

I joined CC in 2006 just before my very first cruise. I learned so much about HAL and the Oosterdam from other cruisers that I had the most fabulous cruise ever. I continue to read and contribute now and then to these boards, but I must admit the negativity has certainly grown in the last three years. Sometimes I just don't get online for weeks at a time to give myself a rest from it all. But, overall, I think there is more of a positive nature on the boards and it is a wonderful way to learn about cruises.

I see that you're from Tarzana. My parents moved to Tarzana in 1959 when I was 15. We moved from central Los Angeles and we bought a house in the new development of Caballero Hills. We lived on Arriba Dr and there we were in the first 20 homes back there. Have you lived there a long time?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Your question and your response has (sic) just as much value as anybody else's. If someone condemns you for that they (sic) , not you, are wrong.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but contrary to what is written here, not all opinions are of equal value. Some opinions are not accurate and, as such, they are misleading and not at all helpful. Opinons can fall into this category because they are based upon bad information, because they are devoid of reason or logic or because the person offering the opinion is obviously not well. If the purpose of the boards is to assist others it is absolutely critical to question opinions that are suspect. Asking for clarification or pointing out the distortion in the opinion of another should be welcome if done in a courteous manner as it reinforces helpful/credible opinions while exposing misleading/incredible ones as such.

Too often someone whose opinion has been properly questioned responds by mindlessly incanting the magic words " I am entitled to an opinion" instead of supporting the opinion with facts and reason. That is a sign that the person doesn't really know what he or she is talking about and that the opinon lacks credibility, i.e., it is of little or no value.

Edited by owl61

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems that many of us get flamed for simply expressing an opinion about dress codes, stand up comedians, show costumes, dinner arrangements, and other trivial matters.

For some reason it gets personal. The way I see it we are all entitled to our point of view on cruises but should keep our negative views of other posters to ourselves.

If you don't like the shows...fine let's hear it, but if you don't like me.... then let it go.

It seems that many of us get flamed for simply expressing an opinion about dress codes, stand up comedians, show costumes, dinner arrangements, and other trivial matters.

For some reason it gets personal. The way I see it we are all entitled to our point of view on cruises but should keep our negative views of other posters to ourselves.

If you don't like the shows...fine let's hear it, but if you don't like me.... then let it go.

This is good restatement of our guidelines. Please see: Guidelines.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but contrary to what is written here, not all opinions are of equal value. Some opinions are not accurate and, as such, they are misleading and not at all helpful. Opinons can fall into this category because they are based upon bad information, because they are devoid of reason or logic or because the person offering the opinion is obviously not well. If the purpose of the boards is to assist others it is absolutely critical to question opinions that are suspect. Asking for clarification or pointing out the distortion in the opinion of another should be welcome if done in a courteous manner as it reinforces helpful/credible opinions while exposing misleading/incredible ones as such.

Too often someone whose opinion has been properly questioned responds by mindlessly incanting the magic words " I am entitled to an opinion" instead of supporting the opinion with facts and reason. That is a sign that the person doesn't really know what he or she is talking about and that the opinon lacks credibility, i.e., it is of little or no value.

Whether or not an opinion has value is not the issue. Opinions are like noses; everyone has one, they are all different and there's no such thing as an incorrect nose.

Pointing out factual issues that are part of a post that includes an expression of an opinion is fair, just so long as it doesn't get personal.

Example:

Member #1: In my opinion the HAL galley chefs on Eurodam are losing touch with their customers. I really despise the fact that they use salt in preparing their ice cream sundaes.

Member #2: Member #1, where did you ever get the idea that HAL uses salt in their sundaes? You must be some kind of idiot. Your opinion is just wrong.

Member #3: Member #1, I'm not sure what happened but I find it most unlikely that HAL uses salt in their sundaes. Could it possibly be that you experienced a human error and not a change in recipes? In my opinion, unlike yours, HAL's chefs do a fantastic job.

Member #4: Member #1, I can't believe we were both on the same cruise. I had a sundae every evening and loved every bit of it.

Which response(s) is (are) a violation of our guidelines?

Whether or not an opinion has value is not the issue. Opinions are like noses; everyone has one, they are all different and there's no such thing as an incorrect nose.

Pointing out factual issues that are part of a post that includes an expression of an opinion is fair, just so long as it doesn't get personal.

Example:

Member #1: In my opinion the HAL galley chefs on Eurodam are losing touch with their customers. I really despise the fact that they use salt in preparing their ice cream sundaes.

Member #2: Member #1, where did you ever get the idea that HAL uses salt in their sundaes? You must be some kind of idiot. Your opinion is just wrong.

Member #3: Member #1, I'm not sure what happened but I find it most unlikely that HAL uses salt in their sundaes. Could it possibly be that you experienced a human error and not a change in recipes? In my opinion, unlike yours, HAL's chefs do a fantastic job.

Member #4: Member #1, I can't believe we were both on the same cruise. I had a sundae every evening and loved every bit of it.

Member # 5; I love salt in ice cream. Member #1 is a narrow minded bigot for FORCEING

me to eat my ice cream salt-less. Stay off my ships !!!! You salt hating people think you own the world and can force your will on everyone else. Anyway if you don't love salty ice cream like I do...DON'T EAT THE $%&*! ice cream.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't overlook the "IGNORE" function on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

If there's someone that you would rather not see in a thread, just drop their user name in there. If enough folks ignore them, they'll simply go away.

COOL ! Thanks for reminding me of that function.

Doing that would have saved me much anguish.

Example:

Walt, sorry, but I am confused. First, you state that like noses, there are no incorrect opinions. Then you state that it is okay to criticize opinions that are wrong because they are based on wrong facts. The second statement contradicts the first.

For example,you impiedly admit that it is okay to point out that member #1's statement/opinion about the HAL ice cream is "wrong" because in actual fact no salt is used in making the ice cream (assuming that is the case). If salt is not normally used in the making of ice cream the original opinion member #1's opinion IS wrong because it is based upon erroneous facts. If some salt was used in the OP's dish it was human error that got it there, not HAL recipes.

Let's not avoid the truth just because of a desire to be kind and overly solicitous to members. We can be truthful without being rude as Member # 3's reply in your example was.

• 4 weeks later...
Walt, sorry, but I am confused. First, you state that like noses, there are no incorrect opinions. Then you state that it is okay to criticize opinions that are wrong because they are based on wrong facts. The second statement contradicts the first.

For example,you impiedly admit that it is okay to point out that member #1's statement/opinion about the HAL ice cream is "wrong" because in actual fact no salt is used in making the ice cream (assuming that is the case). If salt is not normally used in the making of ice cream the original opinion member #1's opinion IS wrong because it is based upon erroneous facts. If some salt was used in the OP's dish it was human error that got it there, not HAL recipes.

Let's not avoid the truth just because of a desire to be kind and overly solicitous to members. We can be truthful without being rude as Member # 3's reply in your example was.

An opinion that is based on erroneous facts is still an opinion.

Explaining that the underlying facts are wrong is not characterizing the opinion or the member, it's simply correcting allegedly incorrect facts.

Example,

"In my opinion there were too many commercials in the Oscar presentation. I'm guessing that more than 20% of the program was commercials."

If someone points out that only 1% of the time was devoted to commercials, the opinion is still an opinion that may change as a result of new, or corrected, facts, but the opinion is still an opinion.

The point is that we will not permit someone to be "attacked" for expressing an opinion. But we will permit posts that correct an expressed but incorrect statement.

• 2 months later...

When I logged on this am, I see that the thread that somebody started yesterday is totally gone....I added a note to it yesterday.

When I try to find it via my list of all my posts, it's totally gone from my list.

It's like the thread never existed.

What's up ?

• 1 month later...
Hi Walt, if I put someone on my "ignore" list, do they know it?

Me again...is it like Facebook in that if you "block" (or in this case "ignore") someone that they can't see what you write either?

lorekauf answered your questions. But I just wanted to tell you that several weeks ago there were some really nasty things here and people jumping on people. For the first time in years I made an Ignore List and I am aware that they can read what I write but I don't have to read what they write.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I'm not Walt...but no, they don't know it.

Correct. The only one who knows you've put someone on your ignore list is you. As a caution, you may want to check the list periodically to decide whether you want to leave someone on that list going forward or not.