Noordam Northbound to Alaska + Denali Almost Live

Crew News

Roger, Please explain what your a/c adapters were, I'm confused. Why would you need adapters on the ship or in an Alaskan hotel? I always bring an 8' extension cord with multiple plugs (mostly for the fan to reach my side of the bed), not a power strip, no surge suppression. Should I take 2 now and pack one in checked, one in carry on? And cross my fingers.... Departing PE/FLL in October. Thx. m--

As my carry-on bag exited the scanning tunnel the viewer told the guy at the end, "adapters" which prompted him to ask permission to search my roller bag. The screener then said "no medical equipment". I think that if I had told them that medical equipment was in my checked luggage, they might have let everything pass.

They confiscated a one-inch cube with three outlets, a bar with three outlets, and a six-foot extension cord with three outlets (no surge protection). They did not take another cube or my European adapter. Not worth arguing about since they will be returned the afternoon of my last day. I could not resist so I asked, "Does this mean I can use what you confiscated on the last day of the cruise?" I received a blank stare as a result.

My 13-foot extension cord and five other adapters in my checked luggage did not cause me to visit the "naughty room".

Since the rules are different in each port, I pack some in each type of luggage. I have so many in case someone needs to borrow and because Joanie's medical equipment required them.

As posted earlier, my confiscated extension cord was exactly what the ship's video showed as a "not allowed personal extension cord." FWIW I think the video is new because in all my cruises, it is the first time it has been shown on the TV.

Crew News, thank you so much for being willing to do this. The trip my sister and I are taking is the Y2C: 14-day Yukon & Triple Denali with the cruise portion first. From reading a lot of other posts that I could find, I've found out quite a bit of information, but things like departure and arrival times to various locations I'm having to guess at.

If you get an opportunity, can you find out if there is a laundry service available at Denali or Dawson City? I know there is self-service laundry, but I wondered if there was a laundry service and (if possible) how much it would be.

What about any spa services (massages, etc) in Denali? We'll be there 3 days.

I'm looking forward to any recommendations you have for restaurants in Denali. I read on another thread that Prospectors Pizzeria is supposed to be really good for pizza.

Again, thank you for taking time out of your vacation for answering our questions. :)

While I am on cruises, I go out of my way to meet the crew as well as other passengers to gather information that may be helpful. Whenever I mention Cruise Critic, the crew is very responsive as most of the officers read it every day.

Since the internet connection is very slow, could go to the HAL website and compare your Y2C with my Y2D and let me know the differences so I can ask the right questions of the Land Tours lady on board.

Your questions are noted and I will find the answers.

Note that everyone does not stay at the same hotels in Denali or ride the same buses/trains, or fly home from Anchorage.

After much contemplation and reading reviews of the food prices for my Denali portion, I purchased the "well-hidden" food voucher plan but I will still work on a list of alternative dining locations for you. Rapidly changing weather and having to walk some distance to other dining venues was also a consideration.

Since I am staying at the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage, I downloaded their menu and the prices are a bit expensive. The "plan" lets me choose one appetizer, one entrée, and one dessert from the menu which could total nearly $100.

I will include an evaluation of the meal voucher plan as it unfolds.

As my carry-on bag exited the scanning tunnel the viewer told the guy at the end, "adapters" which prompted him to ask permission to search my roller bag. The screener then said "no medical equipment". I think that if I had told them that medical equipment was in my checked luggage, they might have let everything pass.

They confiscated a one-inch cube with three outlets, a bar with three outlets, and a six-foot extension cord with three outlets (no surge protection). They did not take another cube or my European adapter. Not worth arguing about since they will be returned the afternoon of my last day. I could not resist so I asked, "Does this mean I can use what you confiscated on the last day of the cruise?" I received a blank stare as a result.

My 13-foot extension cord and five other adapters in my checked luggage did not cause me to visit the "naughty room".

Since the rules are different in each port, I pack some in each type of luggage. I have so many in case someone needs to borrow and because Joanie's medical equipment required them.

As posted earlier, my confiscated extension cord was exactly what the ship's video showed as a "not allowed personal extension cord." FWIW I think the video is new because in all my cruises, it is the first time it has been shown on the TV.

Thank you so much for the information re the adapters. I was so afraid that they were taking the European adapters away. Since most chargers run on either European or North American voltage it is most helpful to have the use of four outlets in our cabin instead of just the two North American ones. It saves a lot of time spent charging stuff.

Enjoying your posts. Our good friend the manager of the Pinnacle is arriving soon Tina is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think she is the one that just arrived this week. Her first name is Astina. Who should I say asked about her?

Tracy's Crab Shack?

What is the truth behind the king crab legs? Just curious..

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The king crab legs have been an ongoing discussion on the Alaska Forum.

They are frozen since king crab season closes after February. A local resident of Juneau says they are probably from the local Costco.

Dungeness crab are fresh since they are currently in season.

They are frozen since king crab season closes after February. A local resident of Juneau says they are probably from the local Costco.

Too funny about Costco and probably true. My curious mind wanted to know, so thank you.

Too funny about Costco and probably true. My curious mind wanted to know, so thank you.

It is important to note that very few people have tasted fresh Alaska king crab unless they visit Alaska during, or just after, king crab season during wintertime.

Thanks for the heads up!

Roger, Many thanks for the explanation of the electrical taps and cords that were confiscated. You are very wise to have packed them in both carry-on and checked bags, as we will now do also! Enjoy, m--

Roger, with regard to the international adaptors our ' Australian plugs' are completely different to North American, European and British ones - and as we do land based travel before and after cruises we tend to travel with adaptors allowing us to use all kinds of sockets.

I'm sure with USB ports available we would be able to manage and given you were allowed to keep your European ones (which would provide us with the 220/240 current we need for our appliances) I'm wondering if there were North American ones in our carry ons would they be confiscated.

I know - your guess is as good as mine - but could you hazard one at all :) :)

Roger, with regard to the international adaptors our ' Australian plugs' are completely different to North American, European and British ones - and as we do land based travel before and after cruises we tend to travel with adaptors allowing us to use all kinds of sockets.

I'm sure with USB ports available we would be able to manage and given you were allowed to keep your European ones (which would provide us with the 220/240 current we need for our appliances) I'm wondering if there were North American ones in our carry ons would they be confiscated.

I know - your guess is as good as mine - but could you hazard one at all :) :)

I place my confiscation incident as a random act of incompetence on the part of a contractor (not HAL employee). Connection adapters that are not designed for multiple outputs should not have any issues.

Note that confiscation is only until the last day of the cruise

The day in Ketchikan started with clouds and ended in nice sunshine. My amazing weather record continues: In my last five Alaska cruises, I felt rain in a port only once. When I tell the Alaska locals my good fortune, many offer to pay my hotel fees to spend a few more days.

Preparing for my 9:00 AM Crab Feasting excursion, I had to skip breakfast. The float plane ride flew over the destination, George Inlet Lodge, for a few more miles to experience some amazing scenery. Our group of 17, arriving in several planes, had one hour to eat as many Dungeness crab as possible. I ate my traditional five half crabs followed by two bites of the large slice of cheesecake. The feast ended with climbing the 77 steps up to the bus pick up.

While walking on Deck 9, two passengers who had received my CC-inspired cruise tips in the Suite waiting area in the cruise terminal, stopped to thank me.

Making my stop to see "Beauty and the Beast" movie in the Culinary Arts Center, actually to just snag some popcorn before sneaking out the back door, I found no popcorn. I waited in line at the Front Desk to ask, "Why no popcorn at the movie" A hand at the far end of the Front Desk waved above the crowd and I headed in that direction. I had to stop short as the waving hand belonged to our Neptune Lounge Concierge, Glenn, from our Zuiderdam cruise to Panama Canal last November/December. Being the last person to be served at the Front Desk, we chatted for a few minutes. Glenn told me that the Lido Manager from the Zuiderdam was also now in the Noordam Lido Market. Glenn made sure that Joanie had chocolate truffles every day on last Zuiderdam cruise and is one of the very best Concierges we have experienced while cruising with HAL.

After a very light MDR evening dinner, I found, Rifki, at the podium of the Canaletto Restaurant. Rifki was one of the sources of my menu collection for the Caribbean. He is now the source of the Alaska menus for all of the Alaska menus for the 2017 (lunch and dinner for both the Lido Market/Late Snack and MDR) season. I will have all the menus on my website by June 20th.

Glenn was having dinner in the Lido Market and asked me to join him just to chat. I posed the adapter confiscation questions as well as the late arrival in Vancouver issue. It is certain that with access to a former Concierge I can probably get any answer to questions posed here on CC.

With docking in Juneau at 10:00 AM tomorrow, it will be a "sleep-in" day for me.

Tomorrow will be eight hours in Tracy Arm for me. Hopefully, my good weather luck continues tomorrow.

More tomorrow.

Left side of the train as the right side is the view of rock wall just a few feet away.

It would indeed be the left side if you board at the dock and are headed up. However if you take the bus up and board the train for the trip back down, as we did, you would want to sit on the right side of the train to get the best view.

They just flip the seats over so they face in the opposite direction every time the train reverses for another trip.

Tracy's Crab Shack?

What is the truth behind the king crab legs? Just curious..

Thanks

I'm glad to see someone asked the question. (I'm allergic to shellfish, but I guess is that they are frozen not fresh.)

After a very light MDR evening dinner, I found, Rifki, at the podium of the Canaletto Restaurant. Rifki was one of the sources of my menu collection for the Caribbean. He is now the source of the Alaska menus for all of the Alaska menus for the 2017 (lunch and dinner for both the Lido Market/Late Snack and MDR) season. I will have all the menus on my website by June 20th.

Will these be the same on all HAL ships to Alaska? How do the menus change on 14-night sailings? Do they just repeat the same 7-days?(I'll be on Amsterdam for 14-nights in July)

Since the internet connection is very slow, could go to the HAL website and compare your Y2C with my Y2D and let me know the differences so I can ask the right questions of the Land Tours lady on board.

I apologize for taking so long in getting back to you. Here is the itinerary for the Y2C:

August 30th - Embark in Vancouver

August 31st - At Sea

September 1st - Tracy Arm/Juneau

September 2nd - Disembark in Skagway for land portion of trip

September 3rd - Skagway

September 4th - Depart Skagway for Whitehorse

September 5th - Depart Whitehorse for Dawson City

September 6th - Dawson City

September 7th - Depart Dawson City for Fairbanks (by air)

September 8th - Depart Fairbanks to Denali

September 9th & 10 - Denali

September 11th - Depart Denali for Anchorage

September 12th - Fly home

If possible, could you find out how much time we will have in Fairbanks? I have no idea what time we leave Dawson City to fly there.

Again, thank you again for all of your help with not only my questions, but everyone else's as well. :)

Will these be the same on all HAL ships to Alaska? How do the menus change on 14-night sailings? Do they just repeat the same 7-days?(I'll be on Amsterdam for 14-nights in July)

The menus I received are the same for all 7-day Alaska cruises for the season but could be adjusted if a product is not received during loading on Embarkation Day.

It is my experience in the Caribbean that the second week will a few items switched/modified but few other changes. Perhaps a different pasta dish, change one soup, change one dessert, etc. but with the same starting ingredients that were loaded on Embarkation Day.

On a side note, one of our first cruises out of Seattle, the pallet of marine-style bathroom tissue did not make it on board and had to be flown to Juneau to meet the ship.