No More Deck 9 Cookouts for HAL

Crew News

So true, and large birds leave large.....

This is not news, though, as this was reported on CC some months ago, at least prior to our departure for our last cruise at the end of March. On which there were no BBQs on the deck.

AH -- I knew that someone had mentioned that the BBQ was gone in recent months.

Yea, I am still trying to get my mind around the concept of helpful bureaucrats :D:cool:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Ronald Reagan

40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

In our County we do lot's of rodeos, outdoor concerts, the County fair, etc. Above and beyond the requirement for extra 'porta potties' the following units are used for vendors that do not have yearly approved Health Dept. food trucks, etc. These type units just get approval for the specific event / single permitting.

Hand wash sink: good for 300 hand washes for the culinary staff at a time between water refills, wastewater dumps:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/crown-verity-cv-ehs-e-15-gallon-economy-warm-wash-portable-outdoor-hand-sink-single-bowl/255CVEHSE.html

Chill tables with sneeze guards (long utensils for grabbing prepped lettuce, tomatoes, etc.), & chilled with ice pans & temp.monitors:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carlisle-660608-forest-green-6-six-star-open-base-portable-food-salad-bar/2716606FG.html

Just 'food' for thought. Cruise ship rules might be much more stringent than local communities obviously.

Be well.

Bob:)

So true, and large birds leave large.....

This is not news, though, as this was reported on CC some months ago, at least prior to our departure for our last cruise at the end of March. On which there were no BBQs on the deck.

Yes, 20 days and not a single BBQ---not that I missed having one as I have never been a fan of al fresco dining.

There were no poolside barbecues either on the Prinsendam last October/November, or the Zaandam in March/April. Things were advertised - such as the "gaucho barbecue" on Zaandam, but all the food was in the Lido Market. Disappointing, but I suppose it is also less work for the crew, as the Lido Market is already set up for food service.

is this infraction specifically about cooking? What about the various poolside buffets that don't involve a grill?

On our Panama canal cruise, there were stations serving Panama buns all over the ship, definitely not near hand washing stations. I know that isn't in the US, but is that kind of thing a potential problem?

I'm wondering now if this ruling will or has had an affect on the "Taco Bar?" After all, it would seem to me that the Taco Bar would fall under the same ruling............

Hubby, can you ask about the Taco Bar? IF it is still exists?

Joanie

I'm wondering now if this ruling will or has had an affect on the "Taco Bar?" After all, it would seem to me that the Taco Bar would fall under the same ruling............

Joanie

The permanent location of the Taco Bar from my recollection on various ships puts it under a permanently covered area so no danger of errant fly-over deposits, and closer to hand-washing facilities, along with its necessarily awkward sneeze guard.

Re-use serving utensils remain a problem, and the fact that some of the food is finger food - using chips to scoop up dips. Plus there is no on-going immediate staff supervision to pick up any potential passenger misuse or contamination breaches........ If one wants to start thinking like a CDC inspector.

I would also hate to see that one go too, it is a great late afternoon snack assembly. But it also looks like it might meet some of the concerns CDC registered about the more informal outdoor BBQ's.

Joanie

The Taco Bar is still on the Noordam.

Repeating the words of the Lido Manager, the "cooking" of food is limited to designated/certified kitchens.

There was a private party for one of the tour groups, with appetizers, on the aft Lido deck earlier on the cruise.

There is a steward hovering nearby to keep the Taco Bar clean and replenished.

Innlady1,

Was the seagull incident by any chance while docked in San Diego several years ago? I became an overnight ship "celebrity" by the entertainment a seagull provided swooping down (suddenly, as swooping birds do) and taking a chicken leg right off my plate. (I was eating lunch on the back, outside deck of the Lido.) He/she then had the nerve to land about 10 feet from me on the deck and devour the chicken meat. A number of folks saw it and we all had a great laugh. One thing nice about being on a ship is that I simply dumped my plate in the wash bin and got myself another lunch.

Last year (2016) the laws in at least our state changed and outdoor cooked restaurant barbecues were no longer allowed. Food can now be served outside, but it must be prepared in a certified indoor kitchen. Rules about sneeze guards have also increased for the food when served outside. Apparently the new Rules do not apply to family barbecues, only when the food is sold to the general public. At least this is the story told by restaurants effected by the changes.

Was looking forward to seeing how they cooked the Salmon. Not that I would miss it much, we eat it a couple times a week but always looking for new techniques and preparations.

Wonder if they could cook it outside (with proper cover) and serve it inside where tacos are. Might be an excuse for cost cutting because if they really wanted to serve it there would be a way.

[quote=Sequim88;53259523

Wonder if they could cook it outside (with proper cover) and serve it inside where tacos are. Might be an excuse for cost cutting because if they really wanted to serve it there would be a way.

Maybe HAL did not want the screaming headlines: CDC reports HAL staff with unwashed hands serves pigeon poop outdoor buffets to their passengers. You know how the media works these days.

There were no poolside barbecues either on the Prinsendam last October/November...

I attended at least two poolside BBQ's on the Athens to Ft. Lauderdale legs,Vict0riann. I detailed my disappointment with the "Mediterranean BBQ" leaving Larnaca above and on my live blog. I pigged out at the "Parrillada con Paella BBQ" leaving Lisbon. My On Location also shows "Kebab Under the Stars after Haifa. That was a fantastic cruise.

The world is full of so called professional who don't know squat.
Incorrect. There are some occasional instances of accredited professionals who aren't up to the standards of accreditation. There world is not "full" of such people. The generalized and callous disregard for the expertise and diligence of what is overwhelming a set of good people a good job is petty and offensive.

Common sense doesn't apply just their ever tighter oversight.
Common sense is indeed what applies to such oversight. People need to avoid mistaking their own personal sense for common sense. Common sense can legitimately only stem from a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective.

Who's next on the hit list for generalized and callous disregard for expertise and diligence? Perhaps the good folks who inspect aircraft? It's really quite chilling to see such casually disparaging statements being thrown around about people who protect the public health.

Maybe HAL did not want the screaming headlines: CDC reports HAL staff with unwashed hands serves pigeon poop outdoor buffets to their passengers. You know how the media works these days.
Good point. The way many people causally latch onto any mud-slinging presented by the news (or semi-news sources), even, "Holland America doesn't take action in response to CDC warning about danger," could directly affect shareholder value.

Innlady1,

Was the seagull incident by any chance while docked in San Diego several years ago? I became an overnight ship "celebrity" by the entertainment a seagull provided swooping down (suddenly, as swooping birds do) and taking a chicken leg right off my plate. (I was eating lunch on the back, outside deck of the Lido.) He/she then had the nerve to land about 10 feet from me on the deck and devour the chicken meat. A number of folks saw it and we all had a great laugh. One thing nice about being on a ship is that I simply dumped my plate in the wash bin and got myself another lunch.

Would love to have seen that!

"My" incident was on our own C-Dory in Nantucket Harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect. There are some occasional instances of accredited professionals who aren't up to the standards of accreditation. There world is not "full" of such people. The generalized and callous disregard for the expertise and diligence of what is overwhelming a set of good people a good job is petty and offensive.

Common sense is indeed what applies to such oversight. People need to avoid mistaking their own personal sense for common sense. Common sense can legitimately only stem from a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective.

Who's next on the hit list for generalized and callous disregard for expertise and diligence? Perhaps the good folks who inspect aircraft? It's really quite chilling to see such casually disparaging statements being thrown around about people who protect the public health.

Good point. The way many people causally latch onto any mud-slinging presented by the news (or semi-news sources), even, "Holland America doesn't take action in response to CDC warning about danger," could directly affect shareholder value.

I think at this point we just agree to disagree.

I think at this point we just agree to disagree.

I'm with you Kirk - on our Prinsendam cruise we really enjoyed those bbq's. I was surprised how wonderful they were. Multitude of seafood and made to order. It was delicious.

On the Westerdam they loaded fresh fish at different islands. Caesar salad (well made, by the way) was usually the accompaniment. The tuna was delicious :)

For how many decades have there been outdoor BBQ's and deck buffets on ships? How many people have suffered illness or death because of dining at such venues?

I appreciate common sense government regulations that are designed to keep us safe and well when there is a demonstrated need for such regulations. I know of no demonstrated need other than what was being done violates the "current" USPH regulations, according to this Inspector. Has food safety been so badly compromised in recent years that what was safe "not so long ago" is now unsafe?

I'm with you Kirk - on our Prinsendam cruise we really enjoyed those bbq's.
Kirk and I weren't disagreeing about how enjoyable the bbq's may have been.

I know of no demonstrated need
How many accredited assessments have you completed?

How about we stick to sharing how enjoyable the bbq's were, and maybe sharing insights into what we think the cruise line may do instead, rather than veering off onto attacks against officials. I'd be really interested in reading about folks personal experiences as passengers.

I have every reason to believe that HAL will take the proper measures to correct whatever issues showed up during the inspection and aft deck BBQ's will soon return. Time for folks to breathe in, breathe out and carry on ;)

Where exactly were they held, for example, on Nieuw Amsterdam? I'd guess by the Lido Pool... but I wonder if they could move them to the Sea View Pool and use the sanitary facilities that are built into the ship there. (Of course, that would mean closing a bar for the duration of the bbq, and that's a big ask.)

Where exactly were they held, for example, on Nieuw Amsterdam? I'd guess by the Lido Pool... but I wonder if they could move them to the Sea View Pool and use the sanitary facilities that are built into the ship there. (Of course, that would mean closing a bar for the duration of the bbq, and that's a big ask.)

The aft Sea View pool deck on the Vista and Signature class ships is where most of them were in fact held and the bar was definitely open.

The aft Sea View pool deck on the Vista and Signature class ships is where most of them were in fact held and the bar was definitely open.

Okay but what I'm saying is that they can probably address the violation by using the bar's facilities for the bbq.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I think you are confusing scientific method with common sense. "... a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective." I think not.

Common sense is the gut reaction one has to a given situation; sometimes called "street smarts". It springs from experience- tempered by core attitude. It is based on experience - which can be "accountable" to no one other than the possessor of that experience.

And "informed"? Are you suggesting that some level of education (likely in the social sciences) is prerequisite to possession of common sense?