No More Deck 9 Cookouts for HAL

Crew News

Common sense is the gut reaction one has to a given situation
By your "logic", common sense differs from person to person. That's self-ratifying nonsense. No; worse. It is an affront to the language.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

"Good sense and sound judgement in practical matters." - Oxford dictionary

Emphasis added. This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I think it's time for a poll. Raise your hand if you've eaten BBQ and didn't die!!

Folks, perhaps it's time to step back and be glad there are folks watching out for our safety and health.... and that why I actually feel safer eating on board ship then restaurants on shore in the US. Yes the VSP rules are complicated and the F&B managers need to understand it.

Okay but what I'm saying is that they can probably address the violation by using the bar's facilities for the bbq.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You have obviously never been to one of these themed bbq's and probably the Sea View Bar on any Vista or Signature ship. You could compare the size of the bar's facilities to a 25 cent piece while the cooking space occupied by the bbq is more like a one dollar bill. While the bbq is going on, the bar is the busiest of any time during the cruise. They could not handle any excess people or excess equipment.

Like I said before, they will bring about the proper corrections and continue on as it was before.

Oddly enough with any 'outside' food service event (whether it be commercial or private) it is not only the aforementioned covered roof / 3 walled siding, proper prep, availability of nearby hand washing sinks and required sanitizing equipment (minimal on cruise ships really since tableware and such usually goes directly to the ship's kitchen sanitizing station's, aka the high temperature dishwashers).

Vector control, aka fly's, & disease transmission would be more of an issue during port docking open culinary events IMHO.

However, with that said, I've survived all these years somehow regardless of the food venue. An occasional 'food poisoning' occurs regardless of any & all precautions.

And so it goes... It's called life.

Be well.

Bob:)

You have obviously never been to one of these themed bbq's and probably the Sea View Bar on any Vista or Signature ship. You could compare the size of the bar's facilities to a 25 cent piece while the cooking space occupied by the bbq is more like a one dollar bill. While the bbq is going on, the bar is the busiest of any time during the cruise. They could not handle any excess people or excess equipment.

Like I said before, they will bring about the proper corrections and continue on as it was before.

The question is how will they comply. From what you're saying it won't be possible without a significant refit.

Where exactly were they held, for example, on Nieuw Amsterdam? I'd guess by the Lido Pool... but I wonder if they could move them to the Sea View Pool and use the sanitary facilities that are built into the ship there. (Of course, that would mean closing a bar for the duration of the bbq, and that's a big ask.)

The BBQ's on any of our cruises have been held at the Sea View Pool. Except for the Veendam Boston/Bermuda when it was held at the Lido Pool...probably because they eliminated the Sea View Pool on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps this will put an end to the thousands of deck barbecue related deaths. There's nothing more dangerous than picnics. That's why we fill a pump sprayer with bleach and mist people trying to have lunch on blankets by the beach. They don't always appreciate it, but it's for their own good. And, their whites have never been whiter! Also their colors... But hey, safety is our number one priority.

Lol. Ain't it the truth.

By your "logic", common sense differs from person to person. That's self-ratifying nonsense. No; worse. It is an affront to the language.

An absurd contention.

"An affront to the language"? What an exercise in pomposity!!!

An absurd contention.

"An affront to the language"? What an exercise in pomposity!!!

Food can still be served on both the indoor and outdoor pool areas just not cooked. Pea soup will be served tomorrow in the Crow's Nest and outer decks while we are in Glacier Bay.

I have every reason to believe that HAL will take the proper measures to correct whatever issues showed up during the inspection and aft deck BBQ's will soon return.

The outdoor BBQ's are a healthy source of onboard revenue. The bar and specialty drink tables make a mint. Throw in a conga line, and the bbq is considered a huge success. They'll be back !

Why don't they do the cookout in one of the existing areas on Deck 9, hamburger or pizza stalls?

No way is there room there.

You haven't been to one? It's quite the lay out. Some of them take up nearly one side of the Lido deck ;)

The smaller ones are still way bigger than the pizza place (which is geared for pizza) or the hamburger spot (neither of which is geared for this IMO).

Some are saying that they can serve food out on the Lido deck, they just can't cook it there. That makes no sense. If cooked food is put out for serving, they must keep it hot somehow, like a steam table, the food will still be out there being heated. There's not much difference in cooking and keeping it hot. I think other posters are right. The BBQ nights are crowd pleasing, well attended, and a good source of revenue. They will find a way to fix any deficiencies and bring them back.

Some are saying that they can serve food out on the Lido deck, they just can't cook it there. That makes no sense. If cooked food is put out for serving, they must keep it hot somehow, like a steam table, the food will still be out there being heated. There's not much difference in cooking and keeping it hot. I think other posters are right. The BBQ nights are crowd pleasing, well attended, and a good source of revenue. They will find a way to fix any deficiencies and bring them back.

Actually there is a significant difference. If it's cooked inside, there is more control over final temperature. Nothing raw is being handled on deck. Also, the food can be kept covered except when servers are dishing some out. While the food is on the grill, it's open to the air and whatever could fall on it.

There is a difference between food being cooked on the Lido Deck and being served having been cooked elsewhere. I also can understand the difficulty of keeping all foods, cold or hot, at the proper temperature during service. Reading the restaurant inspection reports by my local Public Health Agency, proper temperatures of food is a most frequent reason for a negative comment.

But, as I have said in a previous post, how many decades have passed when deck buffets were served, how many of us have survived dining at such, and how many other USPH Inspectors have inspected the ships of the Holland America Line--and I am sure other cruise lines vessels--and never found fault with what was being done?

But, as I have said in a previous post, how many decades have passed when deck buffets were served, how many of us have survived dining at such, and how many other USPH Inspectors have inspected the ships of the Holland America Line--and I am sure other cruise lines vessels--and never found fault with what was being done?

Could the USPH guidelines have been tightened? When I worked for the government I was used to the regulations changing all the time.

Could the USPH guidelines have been tightened? When I worked for the government I was used to the regulations changing all the time.

It could also be one person's (maybe a new inspector) "interpretation" of the regulation which is not in line with the previous inspectors.

It could also be one person's (maybe a new inspector) "interpretation" of the regulation which is not in line with the previous inspectors.

Or even a high level admin or committee who has changed direction/ interpretation of existing regulations, or introduction of a new "tool"* that focuses on or quantifies specifics differently. I've seen that happen several times in the programs I've worked for.

* especially if it is declared to be "evidence based"