New England Canada Seven Day Cruyise

dag144

We recently did the 7day Boston to Montreal itinerary. I was worried because I thought I preferred either long sea voyages or warm weather destination. Our original reason for booking the cruise was to sail on an S class ship. It's getting harder all the time. Shame on me. I loved everything about the itinerary. Boston was fantastic. Three days prior to sailing was really way too short. Each port was unique. The Canadians,both English and French speaking were friendly and helpful and three days in Montreal was, like Boston, too short. I won't even mention Quebec City. Pictures don't do it justice.

Re the weather - it was nice. Some clouds in Bar Harbor, Halifax and Sydney were brisk but not cold, PEI and Quebec City were hot (80's) and Montreal got up to 90! Boston was sunny and mild for the most part. Naturally I brought rain gear. Expected to rely on "layering" but mostly just wore a polo shirt and light pants or shorts.

This itinerary was our first cruise with HAL (on the Veendam). We loved having so many Port stops and we loved every place we stopped--even Sydney where we rented a car to go to the excellent Alexander Graham Bell museum.

And it made us fall in love with HAL--it's our first choice these days.

Sydney has the world's largest fiddle. But there is more to the town. We walked down the main street looking for a Chinese restaurant. (Why not?) Found an older Chinese-Canadian who pointed us to one restaurant. Went by a shoe store with a great bargain of Sperrys in the window. Met the owner who suggested another Chinese place. We took his advise. Should have listened to the first local's advise. BUT our show merchant told us about a great used bookstore across the main street. After our lunch went to the bookstore and I got two out of print paperbacks for three loonies and got to see the wonderful bookstore's cat. Everyplace can be a bit of a very satisfying adventure. Just depends on one's definition of adventure.

Hi, we too have just returned from the Maasdam Boston to Montreal cruise and can only say don't listen to the negative reviews just GO!

We were slightly worried beforehand but can honestly say that we had a fabulous time - our balcony cabin was kept spotless by our very efficient stewards who worked out our routine and came and went when we were out. We seldom saw them!

We enjoyed the food in the main dining room for dinner, breakfast in the lido and nibbles in the afternoon by the pool. It's true it's an older ship and that shows in some places but it was more than made up for by a great itinerary with ports you could just walk off the ship directly into the towns, something that we really enjoy.

Our next cruise is booked - the Noordam and New Zealand and we are hoping it is just as good as the last:)