Question for AIP

Hi AIP,

I am hoping since you spent some time in Homer as a landlubber, you might

have some suggestions as to what we need to see other than right there at the cruise dock.... we have done the spit, and went to the Homer Brewery, rode that darn school bus around the town, but now am going back and thinking of renting a car, or getting a taxi to take us aound to see something else..... We haven't gone to the museum, should we??? hoping you have some

suggestions for us... thanks, Carri/ Linda:confused:

Hi Carricruiser - would be happy to provide some recommendations for Homer. If interested, definitely rent a car - take a drive out East End Road for some spectacular views. Maybe go to Dr. Linda Chamberlain's Mushing Kennel - Howling Husky Homestead for a private tour of her kennel - so much wonderful and interesting information imparted by both her and her husband. Stop at Fritz Creek General Store for lunch (on East End Road) - quirky little place - part Post Office/part General store. Excellent food! Or if you don't mind the expense, a flight to Lake Clark to visit Dick Proenecke's homestead is downright amazing! Stop at the Homer Brewing Company for some delicous Chai Tea and craft beers. Visit the Islands and Ocean's Center or the lovely little Pratt Museum in town. Search the large boat harbor for some crab boats from the Deadliest Catch. Visit the Time Bandit shop in town and meet Capt. Andy/Capt. Jonathan's mom, Mary. Take the ferry to Seldovia - you can book this independently for a cheaper price. Have a delicious lunch of halibut or Kachemak Bay oysters at Capt. Paddies on the Spit.

Have to hit the showers now to get ready for work (after a long holiday weekend, that is tough;)) but I'll be back later with some more suggestions.

Hi Carricruiser - would be happy to provide some recommendations for Homer. If interested, definitely rent a car - take a drive out East End Road for some spectacular views. Maybe go to Dr. Linda Chamberlain's Mushing Kennel - Howling Husky Homestead for a private tour of her kennel - so much wonderful and interesting information imparted by both her and her husband. Stop at Fritz Creek General Store for lunch (on East End Road) - quirky little place - part Post Office/part General store. Excellent food! Or if you don't mind the expense, a flight to Lake Clark to visit Dick Proenecke's homestead is downright amazing! Stop at the Homer Brewing Company for some delicous Chai Tea and craft beers. Visit the Islands and Ocean's Center or the lovely little Pratt Museum in town. Search the large boat harbor for some crab boats from the Deadliest Catch. Visit the Time Bandit shop in town and meet Capt. Andy/Capt. Jonathan's mom, Mary. Take the ferry to Seldovia - you can book this independently for a cheaper price. Have a delicious lunch of halibut or Kachemak Bay oysters at Capt. Paddies on the Spit.

Have to hit the showers now to get ready for work (after a long holiday weekend, that is tough;)) but I'll be back later with some more suggestions.

Thank you! I have taken note of your suggestions.... any more gladly accepted! Carri

Hi Linda - yes, definitely try the Pratt Museum. We just loved it - spent several hours inside, lots of interactive and hands-on exhibits, pretty little outdoor gardens, videos to view, etc. Very enjoyable, and quite a collection for such a tiny museum. We enjoyed it even more than the Islands and Oceans Center. Although the outdoor walkways to the beach at I&O Center was really nice and we saw several moose on our stroll down to the water.

Another fun thing is to go into the Seafood Co-op on the Spit. If you like oysters, you can buy them fresh there, take them out to the picnic tables on their deck right on Kachemak Bay and have a picnic of your own!

Surprisingly, we found lots of great 'souveniers' at the local hardware store in Homer (can't remember the name of it right now - Gear Shack, maybe?). It is on the right as you are heading out of town on East End Road. They have great buys with some unusual items, and you can't beat shopping where the locals do!

If you happen to be in town on the day of Homer's Farmer's Market, it is on the left as you cross the bridge from the Spit into town. Wonderful handcrafted items for sale, lots of homemade jams, jellies, wines, meads, pickled veggies, etc., along with seafood (of course!) - the Halibut cheeks are DELICIOUS! They had entertainment, food stands, and just good, homespun fun browsing the local farmer's market. In 2013, it was on Saturday mornings when we were there in early May, however we were told they would expand to twice a week in the dead of summer - Saturdays and one day during the week, so perhaps you'll get lucky when the Statendam docks there.

I so wish I was going with you on this voyage. Hope you and your fellow Roll Call members have a splendid time. Enjoy!

Edited by Assateague Island Princes

Hi Linda - yes, definitely try the Pratt Museum. We just loved it - spent several hours inside, lots of interactive and hands-on exhibits, pretty little outdoor gardens, videos to view, etc. Very enjoyable, and quite a collection for such a tiny museum. We enjoyed it even more than the Islands and Oceans Center. Although the outdoor walkways to the beach at I&O Center was really nice and we saw several moose on our stroll down to the water.

Another fun thing is to go into the Seafood Co-op on the Spit. If you like oysters, you can buy them fresh there, take them out to the picnic tables on their deck right on Kachemak Bay and have a picnic of your own!

Surprisingly, we found lots of great 'souveniers' at the local hardware store in Homer (can't remember the name of it right now - Gear Shack, maybe?). It is on the right as you are heading out of town on East End Road. They have great buys with some unusual items, and you can't beat shopping where the locals do!

If you happen to be in town on the day of Homer's Farmer's Market, it is on the left as you cross the bridge from the Spit into town. Wonderful handcrafted items for sale, lots of homemade jams, jellies, wines, meads, pickled veggies, etc., along with seafood (of course!) - the Halibut cheeks are DELICIOUS! They had entertainment, food stands, and just good, homespun fun browsing the local farmer's market. In 2013, it was on Saturday mornings when we were there in early May, however we were told they would expand to twice a week in the dead of summer - Saturdays and one day during the week, so perhaps you'll get lucky when the Statendam docks there.

I so wish I was going with you on this voyage. Hope you and your fellow Roll Call members have a splendid time. Enjoy!

thank you so much!, we do have a car rented for the day, so will certainly check out your suggestions.... maybe next year, or sometime in the near future we can cruise together!! (I do see Oma goforth every now and then, as she lives close to where I live), I met Clipper on the coastal cruise last summer, so now it is YOUR turn!!