Celebrity Gratuity Program - or not?

jzjcwg

Hi All

Must confess that the whole tipping thing does my head in. Being an Australian and not being used it as I'm sure my friends over the pond are, it just seems like an extra charge that should have been part of the cruise cost. To Celebrity's benefit however you can opt out and elect to tip just those folks you want to, in addition to 18% on all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services.

I'd much rather take that option and reward those people who stand out and provide exceptional service.

Question is - am I being unreasonable?

Regards

Hi All

Must confess that the whole tipping thing does my head in. Being an Australian and not being used it as I'm sure my friends over the pond are, it just seems like an extra charge that should have been part of the cruise cost. To Celebrity's benefit however you can opt out and elect to tip just those folks you want to, in addition to 18% on all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services.

I'd much rather take that option and reward those people who stand out and provide exceptional service.

Regards

If you are booking a Celebrity Cruise in Australia the gratuities are included in your cruise fare so it’s a bit of a non-issue. You can’t opt out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for tip, I'll check with my travel agent

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

The Gratuities should be included for any sailing out of Sydney or Auckland. If you are cruising elsewhere however, they will be added on as a daily charge or you can opt to pre pay or have them removed for you to pay personally and sometimes you can even get them paid as one of the chosen perks .

Hi All

Regards

simply, yes.

the daily gratuity covers people that you do not interact with yet still provide you with direct services. feel free to offer a token extra ON TOP OF the daily surcharge to those you feel have gone above and beyond. 'when in Rome' and all that.

the fee covers your stateroom attendant and your dining, regardless of where on board you eat( in 'included' venues, not specialty dining or anything that incurs a surcharge). it is a fee that is simply listed separately and should be considered part of the total cruise cost.

Fair enough, still don't understand why they just don't include it in the cruise cost though.

Cruise line explanation has to do with the income tax structure in the countries of origin of the crew. For many of the countries, if it was included in the fare, it would be considered salary and the crew member would have to pay income tax on it. However, as a gratuity the do not pay income tax on it (or maybe avoid declaring it). EM

Fair enough, still don't understand why they just don't include it in the cruise cost though.

This is an income tax situation....if the gratuity were part of the cruise cost, then it would be counted as income to the cruise company. By listing it as gratuity, it is turned over to the staff and the staff claims/pays any income tax on it if applicable.

This is an income tax situation....if the gratuity were part of the cruise cost, then it would be counted as income to the cruise company. By listing it as gratuity, it is turned over to the staff and the staff claims/pays any income tax on it if applicable.

I don't think this is quite right, but it leads me to word my explanation a bit differently. The crew are paid a 'modest' stipend on which they pay income tax in their home country. If the gratuities were included in the cruise fare, they would be disbursed to the crew as pay, and they would be taxed on it. But if they receive the money as a gratuity from the passengers, it is taxed/reported/treated differently and they get to send home more money. EM

Taxes and port fees are "listed" separately, too (if you look at the breakdown!)....but it's ALL part of the cost of cruising.

They are not" listed" separately in the UK for cruises in the UK or anywhere.

Maybe that is the same in AU.

OP is cruising in Europe - Italy and Greece

They are not" listed" separately in the UK for cruises in the UK or anywhere.

Maybe that is the same in AU.

OP is cruising in Europe - Italy and Greece

Not sure about cruises out of Australia but tipping generally is rare and only done for exceptional service.

Mediterranean, out of Rome.

No worries, in that case the gratuities will not be automatically included in the fare, you can choose to pre pay them or have them added as a daily charge on your cruise. You can also opt to remove them and pay out the gratuities to the staff personally (which is then pooled) as will not meet all the people who would normally get a benefit from the auto gratuity. They may be an opportunity to have picked the gratuity as a perk but if you are already booked that may not be the case.

In any case, it is your choice how you deal with it.

No worries, in that case the gratuities will not be automatically included in the fare, you can choose to pre pay them or have them added as a daily charge on your cruise. You can also opt to remove them and pay out the gratuities to the staff personally (which is then pooled) as will not meet all the people who would normally get a benefit from the auto gratuity. They may be an opportunity to have picked the gratuity as a perk but if you are already booked that may not be the case.

In any case, it is your choice how you deal with it.

I am doing the same cruise out of Rome and the Celebrity fare from my Australian travel agent includes the gratuities. So confusing!

I am doing the same cruise out of Rome and the Celebrity fare from my Australian travel agent includes the gratuities. So confusing!

For overseas cruises, perhaps you got them included as part of the fare due to the deal they were offering, sometimes they include them automatically and sometimes it is as a perk.