My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

So back to Moorea ....

I have a bunch of pictures from the Moorea Hilton when we stayed there several years ago. Sorry for the low resolution photos as we only had a very old 1.2MP camera but you will get an idea of what this resort looks like. Here are the first 6 photos ...

Entrance ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2819%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

The walkway from the reception to the restaurant ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2816%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

More of the walk way ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2817%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

More .... overlooking the pool area ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2818%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

The pretty beach with shade and loungers

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2826%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Another view of the beach area from the walkway to the OWB's ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2815%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

The Hilton Moorea is our favorite Moorea resort primarily because of the wonderful snorkeling around the OWB's ...

More pictures of the Moorea Hilton to come ...

Do you know the word for "Bathroom"? Thanks!!!

As I start on the island of Tahiti let me share some common words used in French Polynesia ... thanks to Donna Heiderstadt :)

• Yes: E – pronounced ay, not as the English long vowel sound
  • No: Aita – pronounced eye-tah
  • Big: Nui – pronounced new-ee
  • Small: Iti – pronounced ee-tee
  • Look: A hi’o – pronounced ah-hee-oh
  • Come here: Haere mai – pronounced ha-ay-ray my
  • Let’s go: Haere tatou – pronounced ha-ay-ray tah-taw

• What? Eaha? – pronounced ey-ah-hah
  • Why? No te aha? – pronounced noh-tay ah-hah
  • Happy: Oa'oa – pronounced oh-ah oh-ah
  • Good: Maita'i – pronounced may-tay
  • No problem: Aita pe’a pe’a – pronounced eye-tah pay-ah pay-ah

Greetings, Courtesies and Salutations

• Hello: Ia Ora na – pronounced yo-rah-nah
  • Welcome: Maeva – pronounced mah-ay-vah. This word isn't quite the same as the basic greeting of "hello." It's typically used when you're welcoming someone into your home, room or space.
  • Goodbye: Nana – pronounced nah-nah
  • Thank you: Mauru’ uru – pronounced mah-roo-roo
  • How are you? Maita’i oe? – pronounced may-tay oh-ay
  • I am fine: Maita’i roa – pronounced may-tay ro-ah
  • Cheers! Manuia! – pronounced mah-new-yah

People

• Man: Tane – pronounced tah-nay
  • Woman: Vahine – pronounced vah-he-nay
  • Child: Tamarii – pronounced tah-ma-ree-ee
  • Friend: Hoa – pronounced ho-ah
  • Polynesian: Ma' ohi – pronounced mah-o-hee

Times of Day

• Morning: Poipoi – pronounced poy-poy
  • Evening: Ahiahi – pronounced ah-hee-ah-hee

Places, Locations and Businesses

• Island: Motu – pronounced mo-too
  • Ocean: Moana – pronounced mo-ah-nah
  • House: Fare – pronounced fah-ray
  • Bank: Fare Moni – pronounced fah-ray moh-nee
  • Store: Fare Toa – pronounced fah-ray toe-ah
  • Church: Fare Pure – pronounced fah-ray poor-ray
  • Post Office: Fare Rata – pronounced fah-ray rah-tah
  • Hospital: Fare Ma'i – pronounced fah-ray may
  • Doctor: Taote – pronounced tah-oh-tay
  • Police: Muto'i – pronounced moo-toh-ee

Food and Beverages

• Food: Ma’a – pronounced mah-ah
  • Water: Pape – pronounced pa-pay
  • Bread: Faraoa – pronounced fah-rah-o-ah
  • Beer: Pia – pronounced pee-ah
  • Earth Oven: Himaa – pronounced hee-mah-ah

Sightseeing and Things of Interest

• Pearl: Poe – pronounced po-ay
  • Black pearl: Poerava – pronounced po-ay ra-vah

• Cloth wrap: Pareu – pronounced pa-ray-oh
  • Flower: Tiare – pronounced tee-ah-ray
  • Drum: Pahu – pronounced pah-hu
  • Ancient temple: Marae – pronounced mah-ray
  • Song: Himene – pronounced hee-meh-nay
  • Stone statue: Tiki – pronounced tee-kee
  • Feast: Tamaaraa – pronounced ta-mah-rah

The Heavens

• Sun: Mahana – pronounced ma-ha-nah
  • Moon: Avae – pronounced ah-vay-ay
  • Star: Fatia – pronounced fah-tee-ah

• Like 1

Reading you posts, Tahitianbigkahuna makes me very Oa'oa :D

Thank-you for taking the time on this fabulous thread. Wonderful pictures, you have a good eye but all the sunshine for nice sharp photos and the gorgeous scenery doesn't hurt either. I can understand why you have made so many trips there. Also I very much appreciate the the details, tips and tales; we get to travel along with you. Great information for when we are able to finally make a trip ourselves

What a great review(s). I will be a first-timer on PG for either the August or October, 2018 14-dqy trips, I am certain this will get all straightened out but, because I am "Mr. Planner," ;p I'd like info on a couple of scheduling items.

#1. I get on a plane in Medford, OR and fly to LAX. By that time I am sure PG will have given me my departure-time from LAX to Papeete, right? Is it likely I'll be dropped in Tahiti / Faa'a (Papeete) at such an hour as to make it reasonable to transfer to the ship? Or ..... something different?

#2. Same for my return. Is it likely the PG people will place me on a flight relatively close in time to the docking? Or.....what?

Many thanks,

Hubert

My review will include my knowledge of 18 trips to French Polynesia and/or the Cook Islands which includes 7 cruises, 5 being on the Paul Gauguin. Some will be inclusive of many trips and some will focus on our latest trip that being the Reunion Cruise of July 26, 2017.

For you that drive into the LA basin to fly to Tahiti we’ve done this many different ways. The most affordable for us as we drive 230 miles is to park at the Fly Away next to the Van Nuys airport off Roscoe. It’s only$4 bucks per day and the R/T for the bus to LAX is around $18 bucks. So for about $90 the two of us can go for 12 days and this includes the parking and bus round trip. Fly Away drops us off right in front of the terminal. There are several Fly Away parking areas around the LA basin. If you live in the LA area you have other options such as shuttles but the price tag could be higher unless you live very close to LAX.

First let me give some detail about the air carriers. Overthe years we’ve taken 5 different carriers but I’ll focus on Air Tahiti Nui andAir France as they are the big two.

Air Tahiti Nui – Located in the Tom Bradley InternationalTerminal at LAX. If you drive, shuttle or take a bus you will be dropped off right in front of the terminal. If you’re flying into LAX and then going over to the international terminal you will proceed differently depending on the terminal you arrive at. If you arrive at terminal 1-3 you will need to go outside the terminal and take the LAX terminal bus to the international terminal. If you arrive at terminals 4 – 8 you can access the tunnel/skyway system which will allow you to stay in the secured area. This is only valuable if you’ve checked your bags straight through to Tahiti and you’ve already got your ATN boarding pass. Do an internet search for LAX / tunnel / international terminal.

ATN typically opens 4 hours prior to departure. If you get there 3 ½ hours prior to departure there will be a long line ;) They will weigh your bags and if over by a few pounds typically no big deal but this isn’t the case on the return so be warned. If you’re going economy we prefer the side seats as the AirBus 340’s have a configuration of 2-4-2. This will change when they get their new Boeing 787’s. Most take the red-eye which is what we prefer.You will get a light meal about 45 minutes after takeoff and breakfast about 90 minutes before landing. Nothing fancy but it is edible. Soft drinks, juice,beer, wine and water are included … as much as you want. ATN has 5 planes, four have been re-furbished, and one has not. You have no way of telling which plane you will end up with, it’s a roll of the dice. We’ve been cold on the flights and hot on the flights and a few times just right, again it is a roll of the dice. Flight attendants are French Polynesian and are very nice, they change into local garb after the takeoff which adds to the charm, your heading to paradise. Downside for some is the late night return flight leaving FAAA international around midnight. Some head for the airport once the Paul Gauguin arrives back on Tahiti, usually around 7:30 pm. This makes it possible to get off board and catch the late flight.

Air France – Located in terminal 2. Air France opens 4 hours prior to departure. Currently using Boeing 777’s and on our last flight December 2015 was a 2-3-2 configuration. The 777 is a quiet plane and most are newer than the 340’s that ATN fly’s. Flight attendants are French and charming. Same as ATN in the meal department, a petite meal after takeoff followed by breakfast 90 minutes before landing. Same free drinks. IMO the food was superior on Air France. A red eye flight with an early am landing. Down side can be the return as it is early morning, about an 8:00 am flight. This means getting up at 4:00 am on the Paul Gauguin unless you’re spending a few extradays. Typically, not always, AF is a tad less money if you’re booking your ownairfare.

If you’re having Paul Gauguin book your flight as a package you may not be able to pick the carrier unless you pay for a deviation. If you’re on your first Paul Gauguin cruise I recommend purchasing all-inclusive, it takes the guess work out of it and PG is a well-oiled machine. As we’ve taken so many trips to French Polynesia we typically book some things on our own. I’ll talk about that later. Bottom line: we prefer Air France but that may change once ATN has their new aircraft … some coming as early as late summer 2018.

Arriving at Faaa international airport – No matter what airline you arrive on you will be taken through customs which can take 30 – 60 minutes depending on where you were sitting in the aircraft. As you arrive at customs there will be a small Tahitian greeting party play music and a dancer or two, always sets the tone for your visit to paradise … I love the ambience, gets me all excited. As you get through customs you will grab your bags and proceed through the agriculture check but I must say in my 18 trips we’ve never been stopped and checked. Once out the door you will be in the open terminal where you will either grab a taxi, have ground transportation arranged or you will rent a car. A Paul Gauguin representative will be there to great all and check your name off the list. They will assist you in getting to the right person for pre-arranged transportation or point you to the taxi area. If you’re renting a car go to your right and proceed about 100 feet where you will find the desk for all the major car rental places. Past the car rental desk is the bank ATM.

The next part will include pre-cruise suggestions and how to get the most out of your time spent on Tahiti prior to boarding. Then suggestions after you board but prior to the ship departing. I’ll add this over the next few days.

What a great review(s). I will be a first-timer on PG for either the August or October, 2018 14-dqy trips, I am certain this will get all straightened out but, because I am "Mr. Planner," ;p I'd like info on a couple of scheduling items.

#1. I get on a plane in Medford, OR and fly to LAX. By that time I am sure PG will have given me my departure-time from LAX to Papeete, right? Is it likely I'll be dropped in Tahiti / Faa'a (Papeete) at such an hour as to make it reasonable to transfer to the ship? Or ..... something different?

#2. Same for my return. Is it likely the PG people will place me on a flight relatively close in time to the docking? Or.....what?

Many thanks,

Hubert

Most fly on ATN with most arriving early morning after a red eye .... You then have most of the day to catch your breath before boarding. Most do the combo with a day room and transfers, this allows you to relax, take a nap, grab breakfast and then board at 3 pm. Some come in on the evening flight and go directly to the ship. You board and the ship immediately departs.

I recommend taking a few days to get on FP time before your cruise departs. You can book this when you book your cruise or ask for a deviation. Yes you will pay a bit but then you can pick and choose your stay prior to boarding ....

If this is your first trip to FP and on the PG I would book it all at one time either through PG or a travel agency who books the PG on a regular basis. Having an agent who knows the ropes is a must ;)

Reading you posts, Tahitianbigkahuna makes me very Oa'oa :D

Thank-you for taking the time on this fabulous thread. Wonderful pictures, you have a good eye but all the sunshine for nice sharp photos and the gorgeous scenery doesn't hurt either. I can understand why you have made so many trips there. Also I very much appreciate the the details, tips and tales; we get to travel along with you. Great information for when we are able to finally make a trip ourselves

Thank you for the kind words .... much more to come over the next several months ;)

Here are some pictures of the OWB we stayed in at the Moorea Hilton. We were in bungalow #72 ...

Comfy bed ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%281%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

See thru between the bedroom and the bathroom but you can close off ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%282%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

There is a small sitting area next to the bed with a glass floor under the coffee table ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%283%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Looking from the bathroom through the see thru with the deck in the background ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%287%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Another picture taken from the bathroom looking toward the sitting area ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%286%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

And another picture taken from the bathroom looking theough the opening to the bed ...

Moorea%20Hilton%20%285%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

More to come ...

Here are some more pictures around our OWB at the Hilton ...

Our room .... #72

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2825%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Our upper deck was covered which was nice ... there is a lower deck just above water level as you can see looking at other bungalows ....

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2823%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2824%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2822%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2820%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

Moorea%20Hilton%20%2813%20of%2027%29-XL.jpg

This will wrap up info/pictures about the Moorea Hilton ... next I'll add a few more of the IC Moorea.

Here are a few more from the Intercontinental Moorea Resort ...

Shopping area across the street with a food market. This is where you can get 'plates' Hawaiian style fro about $15 bucks ...

IC%202009%20%281%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

Part of the inner lagoon area ... those are 'garden / lagoon front bungalows in the background ...

IC%202009%20%282%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

Here are some OWB's ...

IC%202009%20%284%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

IC%202009%20%283%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

The folige is very pretty in their extensive gardens ... a photographers dream ..

IC%202009%20%285%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

IC%202009%20%286%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

The IC is where I shoot the back cover of the current PG catalog ...

Lets back track to Les Tipaniers ....

Here are a few pictures a few years back ...

The beach area including the marina where you can take a boat over to the motus for a very reasonable amount.

Les%20Tipaniers%202009%20%281%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Some banana trees around the property ...

Les%20Tipaniers%202009%20%282%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Inside the lagoon side cafe ...

Les%20Tipaniers%202009%20%283%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

The menu ... very reasonable

Les%20Tipaniers%202009%20%284%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Les%20Tipaniers%202009%20%285%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

This thread is a great source of info, TBK, thank you for posting it.

I hope this isn't a daft question, but when restaurants offer free pick up for dinner, do they also take you back again, or will they call a cab for you?

Secondly, will the big resort hotels do this, or is it only the smaller places?

Thank you! Your information has been very helpful and your photos are beautiful. We are going January 2018 and staying a few days at the IC in Moorea before the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry for the delay ... sometimes two weddings per week right now and it takes me a week to edit 600 - 800 pictures ....... so .... I'll only post something new every now and then for the next 6 weeks, then it slows down for the holidays and I'll have more time to upload.

For today I'll backtrack and add a few more pictures of the Sofitel Moorea, my second favorite major resort on Moorea. We had our honeymoon here in 1999, my first trip to Polynesia ... These pictures were taken on a return visit ...

The good news is I have thousands of pictures of the South Pacific so I won't run out anytime soon ;)

Sofitel%20Moorea%202009%20%281%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Sofitel%20Moorea%202009%20%282%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Sofitel%20Moorea%202009%20%283%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Sofitel%20Moorea%202009%20%284%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

Sofitel%20Moorea%202009%20%285%20of%205%29-XL.jpg

I know it's taking a lot of time getting to some good stuff to share, some may find this boring but so many get shocked by the amount of money it takes to eat off the ship or when you stay pre/post cruise for a few days. We eat on the cheap and are careful with our money. Most think of French Polynesia as a trip of a lifetime but with our modifications and doing things on the cheap it has allowed us to go every year to paradise. We would rather go cheap during the pre/post cruise time and go every year than go first class once. I know several on here don't have money restrictions but for those who only dream of going a first time or want to return but can't afford take my lead and make going to paradise a reality. Our splurge is taking the PG where we are pampered ...

Here is another on the cheap place to eat in Moorea. It is a local hangout but very pretty around the end of Cook's Bay in Paopao, actually over looks the bay. The locals make this their lunch time place to hang. If you want to meet locals, this is a great place and the price is right. Nothing fancy but for $10- $15 USD two can eat well.

Snack%20Rotui7-XL.jpg

Yes that is me at the counter ...

Snack%20Rotui1-XL.jpg

We ordered a sandwich, egg rolls and quiche ... plus a coke, came to $11 USD

Snack%20Rotui2-XL.jpg

Snack%20Rotui3-XL.jpg

Snack%20Rotui4-XL.jpg

Snack%20Rotui5-XL.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna