QM2 not what it is made out to be

chloe kitty

Although we are seasoned cruisers( currently up to no 52) we very recently took our very first cruise on Cunard, the week before Christmas, returning to her to return home on the 3rd Jan 2018.

I read lots of reviews regarding one thing or another just so that we 'got it right' so to speak.

I am not interested in what other passengers do, what they wear or how they conduct themselves, but I was so disappointed to see a gentleman in the dining room on the first formal night in a grey polo shirt, with no jacket or tie to be seen.

The number of passengers that were walking around in shorts and trainers after 6 was simply astonishing. So just when are Cunard's rules applied. Passengers on the next table to us (Cunarders through and through) said they too were amazed at how many passengers were being allowed into the dining room in the incorrect attire and of course the same passengers showed up in the theatre, one lady in the ship's bath robe!!!!

We'll never say never again, but it was a big disappointment for us.

Two years ago we had a cruise on Holland America. We booked a suite (identical in size and shape to a basic Queen's Grill suite on the QM2) knowing there is no restaurant for suite passengers. Breakfast is available in the Pinnacle Grill which was a nice perk (same menu as the MDR but that was fine) but lunches and dinners were a disappointment. At lunch the food was barely edible and the service inept, albeit very polite. We generally avoid buffets so we were pleased that light food is available in the Neptune Lounge and this was where we took most of our lunches. At dinner (second sitting) the service was excellent and the food acceptable in most cases, although two scrawny grey lamb chops do not meet my definition of rack of lamb.

I find Cunard's food - and we have travelled in all four "classes" of restaurant - to be much better even in Britannia.

As for Princess, they are introducing a designated portion of the MDR with an enhanced menu for suite passengers. This is already available on several of their ships. We have not travelled with Princess but were considering an Alaska cruise with them next year. The availability of Alaska cruises on the Queen Elizabeth have put an end to that thought.

We did HAL to Alaska in September because that was what seemed like the most elegant option to Alaska. Lol. Same deal, booked the suite thinking it would be like PG/QG. At any rate, we had pretty much the same experience though even breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill was mediocre, to us. Now that the Elizabeth heads to Alaska we already booked.

A useful and objective review will mention both the good and bad points of a voyage while giving specific examples. Other than bad steak we see no specifics here. The OP clearly had a disappointing experience. But declaring QM2 a "sick ship" is a bit dramatic. No wonder the "perfect" brigade jumped to her defense.

For example, how was the tour desk "lacking"? Hours open? Choice of tours? Details about them? The one the OP wanted was sold out? We haven't been told how it was "lacking".

Did they like their stateroom? The dining room service? The public rooms and cleanliness of the ship? Did they enjoy at least one show? I hope the OP will be back to give examples or will write a formal review and tell us exactly what was QM2 "made out to be" in their expectations and how those expectations were not met. Telling us that their vacation sucked isn't helpful to anyone.

I rather like this 'spot on' response.

Half a story is no good to anyone.

I don't know.

I only can repeat that the quality of food in MDR is below this ship standards.

This is an inedible steak from Oceania Polo Grill specialty restaurant.

5.jpg

In the interest of balance, this is a very edible steak from the same restaurant...

26530266818_7f5b92e3b2_z.jpg

even if I agreed with every one of your comments there is no better ship afloat for crossing the Atlantic in storm/ hurricane conditions which I have done more than once

steak, salmon and chicken are always available off menu in the Britannia you only have to ask

Cunard is the only ship that crosses the Atlantic on a regular basis. Too bad someone doesn't tell you that these food items are available.

Cunard is the only ship that crosses the Atlantic on a regular basis. Too bad someone doesn't tell you that these food items are available.

I don't know why they don't add this to the menu. It can't be that difficult. What we have learned is that if you indicate to the waiter that there is nothing on the menu that particularly appeals he will/or should point out the regulars.

A good waiter is worth his weight in gold. On our recent trip the Atlantic crossing was the roughest we'd ever encountered and although I went into the MDR for the evening meal (DH was still able to eat!) I was prepared to just sit with him because our table companions were enjoyable company. When I told the waiter I felt unable to eat anything he disappeared and came back with a pot of lemon and ginger tea which he said was good in settling any nausea. And he was right.

Still couldn't eat anything though :D

I'm sorry the trip didn't live up to your expectations but I would hope that at some time in the future you will be prepared to give Cunard another go.

One speaks as one finds. Or should especially when it comes to something as subjective as food on ships.

I've done more than a few cruises in Oceania (I think it's eight or nine) and since the very beginning. And more than a few crossings/cruises in Cunard since 1977 and in everything from grills in QE2 and QM2, CARONIA and min tourist.

Last cruise in Cunard was August 2017 in QUEEN ELIZABETH. Britannia Restaurant. We ate almost all meals there. And found the cuisine, menu choice and presentation to be consistently exemplary. On average, it was almost as good as Oceania frankly. Some respects (cut of beef, choice of vegetables) not as good and others, especially attention to gluten free diet, far better. For the price, Cunard was a far better value frankly. The service in the dining room was.... faultless. Indeed, that was superior to Oceania which frankly struggles in the MDR with open sitting and so large a menu.

For a MDR experience at these rates, I'd rate Cunard as the best out there. But anyone booking Cunard and assuming by its name that it's a "de luxe" cruise product is sadly a victim of hype or their own delusions.

Our next Cunard cruise is QE and Princess Grill. And that was chosen mainly for the private decks as we found the open decks on the ship to be... a crowded shambles. If the food and service are equal to that in the Britannia, we'll be pleased. And Cunard should be.. worried.

Just back from 45 nights on QM2 and very glad to be home. We have been ill every time we have travelled on her, the medical department must be making a fortune. It is a sick ship. A beautiful ship but it will be the last time we travel on her.

Due to the fact that a lot of passengers were ill it must be assumed that it was from passengers. When 1800 departed in Cape Town we thought it would ease but it was quiet for a while then started all over again so the infections one must assume are throughout the ship. Two of our table companions boarded in New York and were already ill by the time they reached Southampton and did not come for dinner for the first 3 nights. They were ill again by the time we got to Melbourne so it is obviously going round and round the ship. We have cruised 4 times on QM2 and been ill each time. We have cruised for 24 years and never had this before.

Some of us Cunard regulars call it the “Cunard Crud” or “Cunard Cough”. Hate to say it but I often come down with something after a Cunard crossing. Sometimes it’s because I love winter crossings, and if the weather is really bad you might be inside the entire week.

Just back from 45 nights on QM2 and very glad to be home. We have been ill every time we have travelled on her, the medical department must be making a fortune. It is a sick ship. A beautiful ship but it will be the last time we travel on her.

I think you will find it is not just confined to Cunard. I have been on other lines and it is always the same. It is not the line's fault it is the passengers that take these bugs on board.

It also has a L O T to do with how each passenger chooses to handle his/ her own hygiene routines.

NEVER put food into your mouth with fingers..... OK-- this means bread. When one touches menu's... serving tongs, chair backs, etc etc ( all normal activities as one prepares to eat).... and then uses those same D I R T Y hands/ fingers, to eat ( for example ) ..

bread...B I N G O--- contamination.

I agree with the “sick ship” label. We traveled on QM2 in 2016. Something is up with the ventilation system, I think. There was a smell of cigarette throughout the ship, but it was significantly stronger on all decks at the aft. Strange, when smoking is not allowed indoors.

We actually disembarked a day early in Quebec City. My husband was so ill with his asthma, that he couldn’t stand it a moment longer. We booked into the Chateau Frontenac and he became well almost immediately. In fact, whenever we disembarked for port excursions, he became well. Asthma and flu like symptoms would return upon boarding QM2 again. We will never sail on her again.

https://martinandjansjourney.com

#

in this fairly comprehensive blog of the current QM2 world cruise no mention is made about illness or coughing

It also has a L O T to do with how each passenger chooses to handle his/ her own hygiene routines.

NEVER put food into your mouth with fingers..... OK-- this means bread. When one touches menu's... serving tongs, chair backs, etc etc ( all normal activities as one prepares to eat).... and then uses those same D I R T Y hands/ fingers, to eat ( for example ) ..

bread...B I N G O--- contamination.

I think you have hit on the "problem" exactly!! News reports make great noise about 200 passengers (or so) sick on a cruise ship -- disaster cruise, etc. My question is --why so few? Why do only 200 people out of maybe around 3000 onboard become sick?? What does it say about those 200 ? What does it say about the remaining 2800 who did not get sick.??

Those 200 may have picked up a serving spoon after a person contaminated it. Their hygiene is not being questioned unless they touched a handrail as they walked downstairs or hit the lift buttons and then did not wash their hands or use the alcohol wash before eating. A recent study found that a person needn't be sneezed or coughed on in order to get the flu, it is in the air.

What does it say about the remaining 2800 who did not get sick.??

These 2800 probably have an immune system that works well. Adding to it may be a well-balanced life with enough sleep, little stress, healthy nutrition, sports etc.