Does deck level matter?

torcruise

How can you tell if you have a ro0m the you can easily walk out to the pool from?

Look at the ships deck plan. If you have your cabin number then you can easily see where your cabin is located and any nearby amenities.

Another way to look at the deck question is to notice that the upper cabins go up in price. If they did not sell, I am quite sure Carnival would make all prices the same regardless of level or even drop the price if necessary..

No...it doesn't matter. The perceived motion for sea sickness is the most overblown myth on the web. The amount of time you spend walking is the only difference.

Wow. That's, like, your opinion, man.

If the seas are calm, I agree, the fore/mid/aft and deck locations probably don't matter too much. It feels like you are in a giant hotel complex.

But on my recent cruise on Liberty (just got back yesterday), location heavily mattered - swells in the 20 to 25 ft range for two full nights. Unfortunately for my Mom, I had booked us cabins at the aft of deck 7. She would have been far happier in a mid-ship cabin on Deck 1 or 2, because of the rough seas.

When it was "bouncy", shall we say, if you were far aft on an upper deck the motion was quite severe, and most passengers cleared out of those areas quickly, gathering in the Lobby area (midship) on Deck 3. The Lido deck pool areas were deserted by 9pm both nights we had rough seas - they closed at least one pool, possibly both, because the water was sloshing so violently.

So location does matter if one is sensitive to motion and prone to sea seasickness.

My wife and I were OK - I used sea bands just in case, and wife took Bonine, also just in case. We used both on Mom, and maybe they reduced symptoms, but they weren't completely nullified.

We always love the Lido deck but recently have been liking at balconies. I guess what the original poster needs to do is ask themselves what they like the most on a cruise and what they'll be doing all cruise and position themselves accordingly. For instance we love the spa passes and always get them so this cruise we booked close to the spa area forward. If one spends time at the pool or bars they book lido close to the action .Deck plans are our friend

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

No...it doesn't matter. The perceived motion for sea sickness is the most overblown myth on the web. The amount of time you spend walking is the only difference.

I can speak from experience that there is a big difference in the motion felt based on where you are in the ship. Maybe those that aren’t affected by motion sickness don’t notice it, but many people do notice it. Being far forward or aft seems to be more noticeable than the deck level, but for me, I still notice the movement more on the higher decks than the lower decks. If seas are smooth, there is no noticeable difference. When seas get rough, it can be a huge difference for many people.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/location-cruise-ship-seasickness-109329.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow. That's, like, your opinion, man.

If the seas are calm, I agree, the fore/mid/aft and deck locations probably don't matter too much. It feels like you are in a giant hotel complex.

But on my recent cruise on Liberty (just got back yesterday), location heavily mattered - swells in the 20 to 25 ft range for two full nights. Unfortunately for my Mom, I had booked us cabins at the aft of deck 7. She would have been far happier in a mid-ship cabin on Deck 1 or 2, because of the rough seas.

When it was "bouncy", shall we say, if you were far aft on an upper deck the motion was quite severe, and most passengers cleared out of those areas quickly, gathering in the Lobby area (midship) on Deck 3. The Lido deck pool areas were deserted by 9pm both nights we had rough seas - they closed at least one pool, possibly both, because the water was sloshing so violently.

So location does matter if one is sensitive to motion and prone to sea seasickness.

My wife and I were OK - I used sea bands just in case, and wife took Bonine, also just in case. We used both on Mom, and maybe they reduced symptoms, but they weren't completely nullified.

My wife is as prone to motion sickness as any person alive. When the ship is rocking there is no location that offers enough of an improvement to make things better. You have been told mid ship low is the best so that is everyone's 'safe space' because they want to convince them self it is better, perfect example of confirmation bias.

When a ship is rocking not just up and down but many times side to side the entire ship is moving.

I haven't read all your postings, but someone ask a question, and maybe someone answered it, and I didn't see it.

Yes, I have cruised over 25 years, and I have never been on a ship, where there was not "3" step areas, as well as elevators too. Generally there is one in the middle, and on both ends.

I have been on different decks, and I think it is nice if the area you are wanting to be close to, is either below or above you. We are to be on Deck 6, and Deck 5 has food, and other things that we will be needing as well.

My wife is as prone to motion sickness as any person alive. When the ship is rocking there is no location that offers enough of an improvement to make things better. You have been told mid ship low is the best so that is everyone's 'safe space' because they want to convince them self it is better, perfect example of confirmation bias.

When a ship is rocking not just up and down but many times side to side the entire ship is moving.

Or it is a perfect example of people figuring out stuff either without knowing why, or looking at the physics:

The closer to the center of mass, the less absolute movement you will feel. Center of mass for a ship is likely to be lower decks, due to the propulsion system and other major ship systems - these ships are not top heavy.

Yes, some angular motion (rotation) is still going to happen, but trust me, my Mom didn't know/care why she should feel better when we moved down and mid-ship (and away from the sides, more centerlined), she just felt better. And I could feel less absolute motion. So in her case, the re-location did improve the situation enough for her to stop feeling queasy, instead just "uncomfortable". Sorry that's not true of your wife, apparently.