IRMA thread.--Please post pictures or news up dates.

crewsweeper

Looks like Hurricane Irma's eye is targeting Turks Caicos. She's a very powerful storm and has already wiped out a lot of popular places in St Martin, like Maho Beach and downtown Phillisburg's boardwalk area. So hoping that GT weathers this storm in good fashion, but I wouldn't be surprised if lots of places are devastated. The cruise ship dock and port area beaches including Jack's Shack are particularly exposed to the south and potential storm surge.

If anyone has any news or updates, please feel free to post here. There are no ships in port and I doubt any will be heading there at least through the next month or so.

From CNN:

Around 8 p.m. ET, Irma's center was about 55 miles west-southwest of Grand Turk Island, moving west-northwest with maximum sustained winds of 175 mph. Hurricane-force winds could be felt as far as 70 miles from the center.

Irma was bringing heavy rain and powerful winds to the low-lying Turks and Caicos Islands on Thursday. Residents were told to stay put.

"It's hunker down. Stay where you are. Because you can't go out, because the winds are just far, far too strong," Gov. John Freeman told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360˚."

The governor said the hospital on Grand Turk Island was among 15 buildings that had roof damage or loss.

Storm surges could reach up to 20 feet, the National Hurricane Center says -- twice as high as some of the islands' elevations.

"Some of these Turks and Caicos (Islands) will be completely overwashed," CNN meteorologist Chad Myers said.

I've been thinking about GT for a few days, wondering how they would weather the storm. Prayers to everyone there!! I was thinking of bringing extra books with me, to leave at the library. I saw a thread a couple of years ago that indicated they appreciated them. Can anyone think of other things we can bring to the people of GT when cruises start going there again?

From Jack Shack's facebook page about 1/2 hour ago...

Quick status update: Jack, Janet, Erin, the girls and the dogs all survived Hurricane Irma and are ok!

Thank you SO SO SO much for all your concerned messages, calls, texts, love and prayers. We are eternally grateful.

Great news! I also found a hurricane update page on the other site that indicated no loss of life as far as they know, and not as much damage as expected. The cruise terminal is still intact.

That's awesome! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great news! I also found a hurricane update page on the other site that indicated no loss of life as far as they know, and not as much damage as expected. The cruise terminal is still intact.

So good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

John Heald has posted that the Grand Turk port is open and ready to receive guests.

"Great news on Grand Turk

I just received confirmation that the port is open and ready to receive guests

Hurricane Irma's passing did impact parts of the island more than others, and many homes roofs were damaged substantially. We will be working with our team, community and government to assist with supplies, some arriving soon

... Please share this would you"

We are cruising Oct 14th. It's a full month after the storm, so I'm not sure how affected the island will still be by the time we travel there. If they will still need help with anything by then, we'd love to help. Anybody know of certain items we could bring along that would be helpful?

We are cruising Oct 14th. It's a full month after the storm, so I'm not sure how affected the island will still be by the time we travel there. If they will still need help with anything by then, we'd love to help. Anybody know of certain items we could bring along that would be helpful?

My guess is that the most helpful thing you can bring is your cash to spend around to local merchants.

From Jack Shack's facebook page yesterday:

I want to thank all our friends and Jack's Shack family for their prayers, good thoughts and concern. We all survived Irma. Our houses had minor damage and got pretty wet. We had a week of hot dry weather to dry out mattresses and clothes.

We have one generator and great friend with a generator. Our friend has our small freezer and all the food from our refrigerators, we have been eating well. The kids and dogs do not seem to have been traumatized. The shack is fine. Our staff took the food to feed their families and friends.

Everyone on island was impacted and are working together to rebuild. We will be up and running and anxious for the cruise ships to return. We appreciate your well wishes, they sustain us in these difficult conditions.

- Jack