Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

jordans mom

Thanks so much for the helpful answers to the tux mysteries. The rental expense is more than we would like to spend! Don't know if there is such a thing as a 'cheap tux' in the Rochester area (where they make Hickey Freeman suits & tuxes and have a true factory store)! But we'll see what we can find.

He already has the 'jewelry' covered. 51 years ago, my grandmother gave him my grandfather's cuff link and stud set. They are rather modest by today's standards, but I'm so pleased he'll finally be able to wear them. Also found some funny 'space' socks :D.

I have glanced at the sailing bds - once we have some of this other stuff under control, will get back to it. Wonder what percentage of the passengers are interested in the Space topic? Thank you for your welcome!

When we first began cruising my husband found inexpensive tuxes in the wedding rental stores. They also

had tux shirts and other details. He has now retired those and bought one from Brooks Brothers. The rental stores are a great place to look when you are on a budget.

At Men's Wearhouse, DH found himself happily at the mercy of a very good saleswoman and ended up getting a tux plus and even a new belt, for more than he supposedly wanted to part with. Since rural upstate NY doesn't offer too many opportunities to wear tuxes (local Cornell Co-op Extension dinner?), we'll just have to go on more Cunard cruises. :rolleyes: LOL!

Thanks for all the great suggestions - they would have been more useful if things hadn't been postponed until 10 days before they were needed. sigh...

At Men's Wearhouse, DH found himself happily at the mercy of a very good saleswoman and ended up getting a tux plus and even a new belt, for more than he supposedly wanted to part with. Since rural upstate NY doesn't offer too many opportunities to wear tuxes (local Cornell Co-op Extension dinner?), we'll just have to go on more Cunard cruises. :rolleyes: LOL!

Thanks for all the great suggestions - they would have been more useful if things hadn't been postponed until 10 days before they were needed. sigh...

🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However, I am not into "dressing up" every night, and while relaxing during sea days - prefer a nice tShirt or Coverup and Shorts over my bathing suit to sit, wander or find a place for day meals.....

so I have chosen many "casual cruises" over the years to many places on NCL.

Would I be comfortable on this type of cruise...I am thinking of the 14 day Transatlantic

If you do not mind taking your meals in the KIng's Court (buffet), and not go to the Royal Court (theater), in the evenings, you will be OK.

But if you really want to experience Cunard you need to eat a few meals in the MDR. Even if you do not dance you will want to wander through the Queens Room after dinner. And the evening entertainment is generally very good.

And we went to the show in the theater, dressed nicely, but not formally, and it was no problem.

Maybe not a problem for you, but if it was a formal night and you ignored the dress code you most certainly caused a problem for your fellow passengers.

One of the great things about Cunard is the fact that the vast majority of the passengers follow the dress code. This who do not follow the dress code but insist on using the public areas in the evening devalue the experience for those who do honor the dress code.

Cunard is the only line I've sailed on that actually enforces its dress code. Indeed, they appreciate that it is a major selling point for the majority of its customers. I was aboard QUEEN ELIZABETH last month and four gentlemen came into the Commodore Club at 7.15 p.m. on an "informal" evening wearing trousers and shirts. No jackets. They were intercepted at the entrance and advised of the dress code. And they left.

We have sailed aboard Oceania for the last seven years and used to its "country club casual" (which makes one think some folks' country club is the YMCA at times), but really liked the traditional formality of Cunard. It's not just dressing because you have to or for yourself, but it helps foster the now unique traditional atmosphere of the line. Don't like to dress, great. There are so many lines that don't like you to, either. Cunard just isn't one of them.

We found a tux for around $100 at Penney's--sure it's not designer quality, but looked just fine. That was a few years ago, but it's another place to look, especially with sales or coupons off. Sadly it no longer fits:(. But there is always hope.

We haven't sailed Cunard but would like to. Would a nice navy or grey blazer with dress slacks work on formal nights? In our life style my husband really doesn't need a suit.

I recently received a questionnaire from Cunard asking a number of questions concerning my cruising history and preferences. It included questions on formal dress codes. I must admit I said that it was not top of my list for cruising with Cunard. I think they are constantly reviewing the cruising market. If cruise lines with a more relaxed dress code are doing better than Cunard, then you can bet your bottom dollar things will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...We haven't sailed Cunard but would like to. Would a nice navy or grey blazer with dress slacks work on formal nights? In our life style my husband really doesn't need a suit.

A blazer isn't formal wear. I just came off a two week sailing with a lot of port days. Even informal on Cunard was a lot dressier than "elegant" nights on other lines. Cunard may be a bad fit for you if your preferred vacation style is more relaxed and casual. If a ship's atmosphere runs counter to your life style then it will disappoint you.

Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.

I recently received a questionnaire from Cunard asking a number of questions concerning my cruising history and preferences. It included questions on formal dress codes. I must admit I said that it was not top of my list for cruising with Cunard. I think they are constantly reviewing the cruising market. If cruise lines with a more relaxed dress code are doing better than Cunard, then you can bet your bottom dollar things will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I filled in that recent questionnaire and dress code formal nights were top on my list and why we only now travel with Cunard.

Edited by robbie_3

Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.

This is by far the best response to the "Do I really have to follow the Cunard dress code?" question.

Well said. My travel agent knows I like Cunard and has directed me away from cruise lines that I will not like. BTW - My "life style" does not require frequent formal or even business dress. "Dressing up" does not come natural. But I like the ambiance of Cunard. It is like going back in time and the dress code makes it possible.

A blazer isn't formal wear. I just came off a two week sailing with a lot of port days. Even informal on Cunard was a lot dressier than "elegant" nights on other lines. Cunard may be a bad fit for you if your preferred vacation style is more relaxed and casual. If a ship's atmosphere runs counter to your life style then it will disappoint you.

Of course I know a blazer isn't formal, I just wanted to know if it would 'do' on formal nights--it will on most cruise lines but I do realize Cunard is more formal. All I wanted to know is if they will let him in the dining room on formal nights with a nice blazer. If not, he will buy at least a suit if we go on a Cunard cruise.

We don't mind dressing up, kind of like it actually, but he would have to buy a new suit or tux due to weight gain. What I meant by life style is that in our normal everyday life he has no need for a suit and definitely not a tux, so it would probably not be worn much.

We enjoy trying different cruise lines and I'm sure would enjoy a Cunard cruise. It's just good to be prepared and to know what actually is required. While of course we like relaxation and a casual atmosphere at times, we enjoy the more formal nights too. They aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, he has a tux and likes to wear it if only it fit! Buying another one just for Cunard is what I was wondering about.

I know, losing weight would solve a lot of problems, but that's not always so easy!

Of course I know a blazer isn't formal, I just wanted to know if it would 'do' on formal nights--it will on most cruise lines but I do realize Cunard is more formal. All I wanted to know is if they will let him in the dining room on formal nights with a nice blazer. If not, he will buy at least a suit if we go on a Cunard cruise.

We don't mind dressing up, kind of like it actually, but he would have to buy a new suit or tux due to weight gain. What I meant by life style is that in our normal everyday life he has no need for a suit and definitely not a tux, so it would probably not be worn much.

We enjoy trying different cruise lines and I'm sure would enjoy a Cunard cruise. It's just good to be prepared and to know what actually is required. While of course we like relaxation and a casual atmosphere at times, we enjoy the more formal nights too. They aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, he has a tux and likes to wear it if only it fit! Buying another one just for Cunard is what I was wondering about.

I know, losing weight would solve a lot of problems, but that's not always so easy!

Just off the QM2 and all the gentleman had on at least a dark suit for formal nights. EXCEPT one gentleman on one night who must have gotten his days wrong and came to the dining room in a sport coat and tie. They did let him stay but he did look quite embarrassed and he was sitting way in the back by the back door on the second level so you couldn't really see him. He was the only exception . Not a bad idea to get a new suit as a spare. :)

Now that Holland America has "turned the corner" and morphed into... well something... in its late midlife crisis, Cunard is just about the last bastion of traditional cruising. No blaring 24/7 "music" in every room on every deck, jumbotrons, pool games, singing waiters and waterslides. And dress anyway you please. I am fed up with every cruise line thinking everyone aspires to this. They don't. I used to like HAL but will never go back. They left me not the other way around.

If anything, Cunard passengers go the dress code one better: the "Informal" jacket required for gents was exceeded by at least half those on my recent QE cruise by wearing a jacket AND a tie. Including me.

So yes, if you don't like or want to dress up after 6.00 pm, Cunard is not for you. But for those of us who do... hopefully it won't change or compromise. We look forward to the "dressing gong" even if they don't have that anymore...

Edited by kohl57

Just off the QM2 and all the gentleman had on at least a dark suit for formal nights. EXCEPT one gentleman on one night who must have gotten his days wrong and came to the dining room in a sport coat and tie. They did let him stay but he did look quite embarrassed and he was sitting way in the back by the back door on the second level so you couldn't really see him. He was the only exception . Not a bad idea to get a new suit as a spare. :)

Looks like my guy will be buying a new suit if we go Cunard. That's really all I wanted to know. Now if I could just get him to lose those pesky pounds! But I believe this is something everyone has to come to on their own.

Looks like my guy will be buying a new suit if we go Cunard. That's really all I wanted to know. Now if I could just get him to lose those pesky pounds! But I believe this is something everyone has to come to on their own.

Now my husband has retired he has the bare minimum of formal wear. A tuxedo - which he loathes but looks fabulous in - a charcoal grey suit - for weddings and funerals (more of the later these days) and the good old blazer! We take all three on the Cunard cruises as we live near Southampton. As Cunard relaxed the tuxedo only on formal nights we did ditch the tux last year as we flew over to see family in the States and returned on the QM2. He didn’t look or feel out of place at all. Forget the diet - life’s too short! Get the dark suit - there’ll always be funerals! LMAO!

If you are a woman it is fairly easy to satisfy the dress code. There are very few difficult hard rules.

I am usually one of the least dressed up persons, if not THE least dressed up person in a Cunard dining room but I am always compliant, per se. DH and I always have a good chuckle about that.

Now my husband has retired he has the bare minimum of formal wear. A tuxedo - which he loathes but looks fabulous in - a charcoal grey suit - for weddings and funerals (more of the later these days) and the good old blazer! We take all three on the Cunard cruises as we live near Southampton. As Cunard relaxed the tuxedo only on formal nights we did ditch the tux last year as we flew over to see family in the States and returned on the QM2. He didn’t look or feel out of place at all. Forget the diet - life’s too short! Get the dark suit - there’ll always be funerals! LMAO!

Where we live suits aren't very common even for weddings or funerals--not that one isn't perfectly acceptable, just not the norm. Shirt and tie and slacks, or with or without a blazer, or often not even a tie. We don't wear just black at funerals either.

Where we live suits aren't very common even for weddings or funerals--not that one isn't perfectly acceptable, just not the norm. Shirt and tie and slacks, or with or without a blazer, or often not even a tie. We don't wear just black at funerals either.

Shhh! Don’t tell my husband or he’ll be heading your way! Lol! Get yours a suit in the sales. Then start travelling with Cunard all the time! Guess you’ll have the best dressed guy in town! Lol! X

A dark suit is quite acceptable for formal evenings, certainly if you are dining in the Britannia. In the old days, that was the formal dress for Tourist Class and dinner jackets usually found in First Class. And it looked a lot better than those pastel blue d/js with the frilly ruffled shirts of the 70s!