Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

jordans mom

We am looking at several B to B cruises on Queen Victoria in April 2018. I am concern about the dress code for men. I will have a dark suite for formal, a sports jacket for informal nights. Would a black leather jacket be OK also for non formal nights also as I would use it when flying as luggage will be at a premium?

We am looking at several B to B cruises on Queen Victoria in April 2018. I am concern about the dress code for men. I will have a dark suite for formal, a sports jacket for informal nights. Would a black leather jacket be OK also for non formal nights also as I would use it when flying as luggage will be at a premium?

No a black leather jacket would look very out of place on informal nights - informal means jacket as in a blazer, suit jacket or sports coat and many men will where a tie also. Hope you enjoy your first Cunard cruise.

Are men expected to wear a jacket for embarkation.

No, they are not but some do as they consider it as normal day attire

During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

see

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Yes, it's fine, the dress code only applies after 6pm

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Forums mobile app

It's all a bit confusing ...

We did a ship visit to Queen Elizabeth earlier in the year,

One of the requirements for the visit was no jeans for lunch as dinning would be in the Britannia restaurant. Does this mean then men should not wear jeans lunch time when dinning in Britannia on their cruise.

It's all a bit confusing ...

We did a ship visit to Queen Elizabeth earlier in the year,

One of the requirements for the visit was no jeans for lunch as dinning would be in the Britannia restaurant. Does this mean then men should not wear jeans lunch time when dinning in Britannia on their cruise.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Forums mobile app

Smart Jeans and Tailored shorts are fine before 6pm.

Edited by Pennbank

[quote=BlueRiband;54247748

Why would you like to sail Cunard if dressing for dinner is not for you? It's like me saying that I would "like to sail Disney" but my life style does not want the company of young children or care to have interaction with costumed characters.

Cunard are proud to advertise QM2 as a liner, not a cruise ship. For some the T/A crossing is a means of transport, a posh ferry if you like, and Cunard is the only option.

... For some the T/A crossing is a means of transport, a posh ferry if you like, and Cunard is the only option.
Hi derekthesailor,

I've met and chatted with some lovely, delightful passengers on board QM2 mid-Atlantic who were using the ship simply as a means of transportation across the pond.

Have you used Cunard simply as a "means of transport" (rather than a holiday) yourself?

By using the Kings Court buffet and adjacent Carinthia Lounge each night, it would be easy for them, if they so wished, to ignore the dress-code each evening. However I've also spotted some of them "dressed to the nines" on "formal nights".

As the Kings Court/Cartinthia option allows casual dress, I am puzzled that the Cunard dress-code is so often discussed/questioned by those seeking to avoid it :confused:

Of course QM2 is not the "only option". There are re-positioning cruises operated by some ("casual") lines across the Atlantic, although not as frequent (during the season) as Cunard and QM2 of course.

There is also flying as an alternative.

Mind you, I am the first to agree that Cunard is "the only way to cross"... :)

However, BlueRiband's comparison is a valid one. I wouldn't book a cruise on a very "casual" line as it is not the sort of trip I am looking for. I would avoid Disney ships for the reasons stated.

I'm not sure why some book with Cunard, and then think the evening dress-codes rules in the MDR, bars, theatre, etc don't apply to them, and they don't have to confine themselves to the "casual" section of the ship once they see what they are missing.

Often "special" excuses are made for this: "I don't wear a suit at home" "I'm travelling before boarding and don't want to haul a suit about" "I've grown out of my suit" "I can't be bothered with all that" "the dog ate my bow tie" etc...

In some cases, reading between the lines, the real reason can be "Clearly these silly rules only apply to others, to the little people (thank you Leona), not to me, as... well, I'm far too special". For them, there are alternative ways to cross (or, as above, keep to the KC and nearby lounge)

Rules is rules.

Happy sailings to you derekthesailor :)

Edited by pepperrn

We have done a 15 day round trip crossing (for my last birthday), and found that the six formal nights felt a bit much, so on one of the nights we slummed it and went to the buffet, but we actually chose the Chefs Galley on the starboard aft side of Kings Court. We found the pasta at The Galley was great and the made to order pizza was the best we’ve had at sea. You sat down and ordered your food and drink if desired there and then you could get what you desired at the buffet.

The Queens Grill maitre D told us we could have ordered food from there or they would have made it to order, but it was nice to spend an evening in khakis and a polo instead of a Sport coat or tuxedo. The wife then did order some past on one of the next evenings.

We did see people in the theater wearing t shirts for a comedian on one of the formal nights, so I guess they didn’t need to meet dress code, which the daily did list as one of the places that required the dress code.

We are doing a transatlantic in the fall of 2018 crossing on the QM2 to Southampton, flying to Rome and the traveling back on the Norwegian Star to Miami. The cost is just slightly more than the cost for first class air, but the cruise on QM2is far more fun with no jet lag.

... We did see people in the theater wearing t shirts for a comedian on one of the formal nights, so I guess they didn’t need to meet dress code, which the daily did list as one of the places that required the dress code. ...

Yes, the evening dress code does apply to the theater although it is rarely (if ever) enforced there.

I can laugh about it now, but for my very first Cunard voyage on the QM2 in 2005, I had been badly misinformed beforehand that the evening dress code only applied to the dining room. After dinner on the first formal night, I removed my jacket and tie and put on a nice wool sweater before heading to the theater. The hosts at the door graciously welcomed me without batting an eye, but I soon realized my mistake when every other gentleman in the theater was dressed in a tux or suit. So I have to admit that I was a dress code offender myself once, but never again.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

Of course you can get away with not following the dress code but how rude is that to your fellow passengers who book Cunard because and not in spite of its formality. As my fellow Cunarders have said, there are plenty of more casual cruise lines!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, the evening dress code does apply to the theater although it is rarely (if ever) enforced there.

I can laugh about it now, but for my very first Cunard voyage on the QM2 in 2005, I had been badly misinformed beforehand that the evening dress code only applied to the dining room. After dinner on the first formal night, I removed my jacket and tie and put on a nice wool sweater before heading to the theater. The hosts at the door graciously welcomed me without batting an eye, but I soon realized my mistake when every other gentleman in the theater was dressed in a tux or suit. So I have to admit that I was a dress code offender myself once, but never again.

Regards,

John

Well done, it sounds like you are admitting that you did wrong. It takes courage to admit a wrong doing.:halo:

On dry land evening dress at the opera and theatre has passed from de rigeur to optional to not at all. Smart casual now seems to be the most popular. Surely Cunard have or will follow suit!

The more relaxed atmosphere on Regent and Seaboard is much to enjoy and they are smart casual almost all the time except for the very occasional formal optional which does not seem a problem for most passengers.

On dry land evening dress at the opera and theatre has passed from de rigeur to optional to not at all. Smart casual now seems to be the most popular. Surely Cunard have or will follow suit!

The more relaxed atmosphere on Regent and Seaboard is much to enjoy and they are smart casual almost all the time except for the very occasional formal optional which does not seem a problem for most passengers.

That is interesting as we book Cunard because it is one of the last bastions of elegance and formal cruising. Jackets for formal and informal nights makes for us a much more elegant experience. We would be mortified if Cunard went down the route of diluting what seems a very successful clothing agenda, especially when there are so many cruise lines that people can choose from that may not want to wear such attire so often. I can only assume the current dress code works because of the new ship currently commissioned by Cunard as otherwise such an expense would not be undertaken lightly.

It would be interesting if on their new ship Cunard are still differentiating dining arrangements according to what you have booked, i.e. Brittania, Grills etc. This is maintaining the liner tradition. Most other luxury cruise lines have dispensed with this and the only differential seems to be in the position and quality of the cabin/suite. We love the dine anywhere and open seating arrangements and are anxious that we will not enjoy our forthcoming cruise on QE.

That is interesting as we book Cunard because it is one of the last bastions of elegance and formal cruising. Jackets for formal and informal nights makes for us a much more elegant experience. We would be mortified if Cunard went down the route of diluting what seems a very successful clothing agenda, especially when there are so many cruise lines that people can choose from that may not want to wear such attire so often. I can only assume the current dress code works because of the new ship currently commissioned by Cunard as otherwise such an expense would not be undertaken lightly.
Here, here.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

LMAO! I certainly hope Cunard sticks with the traditional route! We love it! We’ve sailed with other lines and have enjoyed those cruises too but we still keep coming back to Cunard. There are so many different types of cruise lines, surely everyone can find the style they like and leave one line for us traditionalists!

Sent from my iPad using Forums