I read sad news yesterday on Cruise Critic. Very sad news. The Captain on the Seabourn Quest's final Antarctica cruise this season, Bjarne Larsen died Saturday after leaving Antarctica. He was our Ice Captain on our Antarctica cruise while Captain Dag Dvergastein was the master of the vessel. This season Captain Larsen was the sole captain of the Quest. Passengers on the ship reported on Cruise Critic that they had a "Bright Star" announcement with a cabin number on deck 9, but they said there was no passenger cabin with that number. Everyone was on edge. Finally, I believe it was the next morning the announcement was made that their Captain had passed away. Imagine how they all felt? The entire crew and the passengers were just devastated. I cried just reading of it.

The ship went on to Stanley in the Falklands. Here is what one passenger reported yesterday:

Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience.

This morning I found this article about Captain Larsen from 3 years ago. He was an amazing man and will be sadly missed.

https://www.avidcruiser.com/2014/12/seabourn-queso-puerto-madryn/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)