Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Your joking right? Talk about gaming the system and so many of my brothers and sisters who ask for help from the VA with real needs are denied yet this fool gets this awarded.

I'm not joking, it was on the news.

So lets see... this Saturday we will be helping out at the CCI booth at the Abilities Expo. Next Saturday we will have a CCI booth at the Toms River Food Festival. Then Orson has to have a small cyst removed from his back. :( Then we may be trying our hands at becoming starter puppy raisers. We may be raising a CCI pup for the first few months for a puppy raiser who has a problem with the early raising. In between our daughter is graduating college with her associates degree. Orson already has his Tux. Then maybe the CCI graduate workshop in early June. Then maybe Kayak For A Cause in CT. in late July if CCI gets chosen as one of the charities again. Then the Red Bank street fair in Sept. Plus who knows what else will be thrown in the mix. :confused:

DKD, Thanks for the tip on the app for airport relief spots. We usually fly terminal a or b from BWI and, of course, the spot is all the way at the other end of the airport. Luckily, there is a non official spot just outside baggage claim we usually go to when we arrive home. I liked the Facebook page earlier today.

Your life sounds as crazy as ours :D

I'm just dropping by to see how everyone is doing! Sounds like you're all doing fairly well and some of you have cruises planned/booked. :) I don't have any cruises in the works, so that's why I haven't been on these boards in a while.

OK I can officially let everyone know what has been going on behind the scenes in South Mississippi. As many know I am involved in a program called SAV and the main push of this program is to provide support to PTSD Veterans coming back from the war zones. I have decided to part ways with SAV after receiving a few phones calls. Well here is the Official release sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs Biloxi Regional Hospital. With the addition of these two ladies it gives more creditability to this program. Also I have asked all parties involved and it was approved today that the program can be named in honor of my former German Shepherd King. Once I have secured the name and the 501C approval I will release the entire name. I am so excited about these changes.

I would like to update you about changes to the assistance/support dog program here at the Regional Hospital in Biloxi. I am very excited about these changes and think they will allow the program to better serve veterans in Biloxi and the surrounding area. After careful consideration, I have decided not to work with SAV in Las Vegas, but rather to develop a new program here under a nonprofit that I am now working to establish. I believe this will better allow me to implement the kinds of policies, procedures, and tracking systems necessary for the program’s success and sustainability. I made this decision after conversations with Lisa Lunghofer, Ph.D., a consultant in the areas of program development and evaluation, and Sherry Woodard, a Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) who is an Animal Behavior Consultant for Best Friends Animal Society. Both of these women are well known in their respective fields and have committed to help this program and the nonprofit get off the ground.

I think you will agree that they have the credentials to make this program a success. I am confident that with their help this program will benefit the patients at your facility.

OK I can officially let everyone know what has been going on behind the scenes in South Mississippi. As many know I am involved in a program called SAV and the main push of this program is to provide support to PTSD Veterans coming back from the war zones. I have decided to part ways with SAV after receiving a few phones calls. Well here is the Official release sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs Biloxi Regional Hospital. With the addition of these two ladies it gives more creditability to this program. Also I have asked all parties involved and it was approved today that the program can be named in honor of my former German Shepherd King. Once I have secured the name and the 501C approval I will release the entire name. I am so excited about these changes.

I would like to update you about changes to the assistance/support dog program here at the Regional Hospital in Biloxi. I am very excited about these changes and think they will allow the program to better serve veterans in Biloxi and the surrounding area. After careful consideration, I have decided not to work with SAV in Las Vegas, but rather to develop a new program here under a nonprofit that I am now working to establish. I believe this will better allow me to implement the kinds of policies, procedures, and tracking systems necessary for the program’s success and sustainability. I made this decision after conversations with Lisa Lunghofer, Ph.D., a consultant in the areas of program development and evaluation, and Sherry Woodard, a Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) who is an Animal Behavior Consultant for Best Friends Animal Society. Both of these women are well known in their respective fields and have committed to help this program and the nonprofit get off the ground.

I think you will agree that they have the credentials to make this program a success. I am confident that with their help this program will benefit the patients at your facility.

Congratulations Jocko! I'm sure your program will be a great success and help so many of our disabled vets.

Hi Everyone, it's so good to hear that DisneyKidsDad is staying busy helping CCI, and Cindy, Wexy and John are so busy with social and CCI stuff too. Quam and Nancy sound well and I'm so glad to see you both checking in. Hey, we're a lot more than just our cruises.....although, life definitely would not be as sweet without them.

Sunshine, you can take a breath now!

Guitarist, what you're doing is fantastic....good luck!

It's always good to hear where those darn "potty areas" are too....they're so important to our dogs comfort. Thanks DisneyKD.

I wish I was on a cruise. I've been so busy [it's primacy time in the the fund raising arena] but I knew I had to check in with you guys to see how you all were doing. And, it seems I have no time at work, these days! :(

I have a new Campaign Director, here at work and you'll never guess the question he asked me yesterday. We have a golf tournament next wednesday at a local country club and his question was, "are you going to bring Horton and is it okay with the club?" It took all my strength not to punch his lights out!!!! First, I told him that Brenda had worked the golf tournament with me for the past 9 years and although it was Horton's first tournament, I have every intention of bringing him with me. Boy, is he going to learn quickly who I am and what my Service Dog does for and with me. He's been observing us every day......:rolleyes:

You can see that the questions and the ignorance never stops for us, who have a Service Dog.

Do you guys remember me telling you about a Service Dog who was in training, at CCI, when I was there for Team Training this past December? Her name was "Roz." Well, Roz graduated last week with a little boy with cerebral palsy and his family is so excited to have her in their little boys life. I can just hear his parents giving her commands, "sit Roz", "stay Roz", and on and on! So neat to have a dog with such an unusual name, especially when it's yours. :p

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Oh! Wait! Did I say "unusual name"......CCI is best for giving their dogs the weirdest names!!! I now know that you may change your dogs name, as long as it stays the same within the confines of CCI.

I think I would have changed Brenda's name if I had known then what I know now. But, "Horton" I wouldn't change it for the world. I love to watch people's faces when I say his name.....it's so darn goofy, it fits him perfectly, unless I start using the name "Goofy", which is even more perfect!!! :D ;)

Hello!!!!! Greetings from the sunny south. Wedding Bells were ringing last week. The wedding was fabulous. A garden wedding with beautiful southern sun and sunny flowers. The bride and groom are back from their honeymoon and have picked up the

"grand cats". I do love kitties, but am glad to have no more litter boxes for awhile.

Sandy has started on her allergy shots. Cooler continues to thrive with her new best friend and Mackey is coming home for a few days. Rich and I are excited for our cruise in September.

Who said that service dogs can't strut their stuff...... I had a rough weekend didnt do much of anything its a good thing I have VA Appointments tomorrow with a few docs. I didnt even do the dishes, and just fell so nasty even though I took showers. Any who my daughter and her husband stopped by and they took many pictures of Blitz and this is one of my favorites.

Blitzstrut.jpg

Hello!!!!! Greetings from the sunny south. Wedding Bells were ringing last week. The wedding was fabulous. A garden wedding with beautiful southern sun and sunny flowers. The bride and groom are back from their honeymoon and have picked up the

"grand cats". I do love kitties, but am glad to have no more litter boxes for awhile.

Sandy has started on her allergy shots. Cooler continues to thrive with her new best friend and Mackey is coming home for a few days. Rich and I are excited for our cruise in September.

So good to hear from you Miz Sunshine! Once again congrats to Miss Sunshine Jr. and her groom and glad to hear things are returning to "normal."

Kathi

Who said that service dogs can't strut their stuff...... I had a rough weekend didnt do much of anything its a good thing I have VA Appointments tomorrow with a few docs. I didnt even do the dishes, and just fell so nasty even though I took showers. Any who my daughter and her husband stopped by and they took many pictures of Blitz and this is one of my favorites.

Blitzstrut.jpg

What a gorgeous boy Jocko! How does Blitz know how to "stack" like a show dog? Speaking of which, has anyone read "Show Dog" by Josh Dean? Very interesting look inside that dog culture.

What a gorgeous boy Jocko! How does Blitz know how to "stack" like a show dog? Speaking of which, has anyone read "Show Dog" by Josh Dean? Very interesting look inside that dog culture.

I would love to take credit for this but its due to the breeder and my daughter. The breeder for having done me a favor and to allow me to purchase a high quality dog that takes to training unlike any I have ever had. My Daughter did the stack training in under 30 minutes, she is all about showing and agility. Blitz is all about helping me and assisting me daily yet he does get fantastic training from all of us.

I have not read any book about show dogs; although I am actually taking training up a few notches. I am one of the luckiest guys in the US right now with Sherry W (Dogtown fame) and a few others wanting to be involved in the "King's Second Chance" training program for quality dogs who might otherwise be given a big sleep. I am two years into the program by myself and it exploded approx 2 months ago to a national program or a based program to be used for other sites. We are still doing baby steps yet with everything I have done and now with others the pot is stirred quite a bit and it smells fantastic.

Edited by guitarest

Mornin' all:

Where is everyone?..........I hear an echo. I have been so busy, I try and keep up reading the post but usually don't have time to post.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing good. Have a great Sunday.

I love when I post and someone says, "where is everyone?"

Hi all!

I have been here but I guess I just haven't had mu h to say. We are getting ready for a short cruise to the Bahamas. David likes to scuba and Valentine and I like to read in the sunshine. We have most of the packing done but next week starts the push with Valentine's vet visit and grooming. I have let her go a little long between beauty appointments and I have been telling her that she looks like a ragamuffin. oh you should see the evil look she gives me. Impersonally think she is told too much how cute she is. Loo. We decided to go out of Norfolk on a shorter cruise because although the vet says she is in great shape I worry about the long flights to Europe. Iwill probably be retiring her in the next year and it will break my heart. But for now we willcruise without a flight and enjoy every minute.

Yey!!!! I'm so glad to hear that all went well and you're planning a cruise for September. Congratulation to all of you.

Hi all!

I have been here but I guess I just haven't had mu h to say. We are getting ready for a short cruise to the Bahamas. David likes to scuba and Valentine and I like to read in the sunshine. We have most of the packing done but next week starts the push with Valentine's vet visit and grooming. I have let her go a little long between beauty appointments and I have been telling her that she looks like a ragamuffin. oh you should see the evil look she gives me. Impersonally think she is told too much how cute she is. Loo. We decided to go out of Norfolk on a shorter cruise because although the vet says she is in great shape I worry about the long flights to Europe. Iwill probably be retiring her in the next year and it will break my heart. But for now we willcruise without a flight and enjoy every minute.

I thought Brenda's retiring would "break my heart" too! It was difficult to go through the process but now that Horton's part of our family we're filled with smiles and joy when we watch the two of them play and kiss on each other.

Brenda is enjoying her time to rest during the day and hopefully it will prolong her life' date=' in the long run!!![/b']