"Live" from Westerdam Alaska Sept 21-27, 2013

sue117

Ok, Ok, I know this cruise is long over (boo), but I wanted to pass on a funny...my dad called the other day and asked for my advice since he was thinking about GOING ON ANOTHER CRUISE! lol

He hasn't cruised ever in his entire life, but he actually said to me "It might be nice to get away from the cold for a bit this spring". lol He is thinking about a Caribbean/Panama Canal cruise.

I just thought this was funny because I just don't see my dad as being a "cruise" type of person!

Oh and he has already informed me that he wants to come with my husband and I when we eventually do the "fall colors" cruise up in New England. It isn't even on our radar yet (as we planned a RIVER cruise for this Dec up the Rhine, very different for us), but he still wanted to make sure that I knew that he wanted to come with us!

And by the way...here was his final email to me about his journey home from this Alaskan Cruise:

After 421 miles on I-40 in Tennessee, I finally came to THE fork in the road, and I turned north into Virginia.

What a wonderful sign, greeting me at the border.

At home, I unpacked the Jeep, and am still working on unpacking the suitcases and containers I've been hauling across the country. All is well here at home; everything is as I left it. Mike has been watering my plants while I was away, so even the plants are fine and healthy.

On getting home, I checked the odometer, and compared it to the starting value. On this extended trip, I put 7,213 miles on the Jeep.

And it's wonderful to be home, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight.

Thanks for reading everyone! Now to plan our Christmas Cruise along the Rhine in December. :)

Oh my gosh, I forgot to tell all of you guys another funny (ok, I'm sure you don't REALLY care, but still....)

About 2 weeks after the cruise I went to Las Vegas for a geocaching event (yes, remember that I am a nerd). I met up with one of my friends from IN. Well my DAD was in Vegas at the Same time! lol He was still on his way home from the cruise and had gotten to Vegas. So even though I had just spent a week with him on the cruise, we met up in Vegas and had breakfast together! What a coincidence!

Sue117, Hello! I have a Question that you can give me, an opinion on. You had access to both sides of the ship which one do you think is better to have for Glacier Bay viewing? Or just the whole trip in general. Thanks

You don't really need a "side" for glacier Bay viewing as far as I'm concerned. The captain of the ship does a great job of spinning in circles so all sides of the ship get the same amount of viewing time on the glacier. And in the past, when we didn't have an aft balcony we spent time on the upper pool deck and wandered back and forth from side to side depending on which side of the ship the glacier was on.

That being said people have suggested that for an Alaskan Cruise the right side of the ship is better since when you are headed UP towards the cities land is on the right side of the ship. This didn't matter to us on our cruise through because it was FOGGY and we couldn't see land anyway! lol It also seemed like we moved a lot at night when we were sleeping to again, seeing land wasn't a big priority when it's dark and we were sleeping! lol

Hope that helps!

You don't really need a "side" for glacier Bay viewing as far as I'm concerned. The captain of the ship does a great job of spinning in circles so all sides of the ship get the same amount of viewing time on the glacier. And in the past, when we didn't have an aft balcony we spent time on the upper pool deck and wandered back and forth from side to side depending on which side of the ship the glacier was on.

That being said people have suggested that for an Alaskan Cruise the right side of the ship is better since when you are headed UP towards the cities land is on the right side of the ship. This didn't matter to us on our cruise through because it was FOGGY and we couldn't see land anyway! lol It also seemed like we moved a lot at night when we were sleeping to again, seeing land wasn't a big priority when it's dark and we were sleeping! lol

Hope that helps!

Yes so what ever room will be fine Thank you!

So for anyone that might be wondering, here is the update on my dad. :) (and yes, I wish that I was still on the ship! I could totally do a 120 day cruise and be juuuuuuuust fine. Unfortunately that is going to have to wait for retirement. poo)

It rained off and on for the two days I spent at Kalaloch in Washington. I know Kalaloch is known for rain, but this particular storm is the same one that this weekend brought so much snow to Wyoming and the Dakotas.

By the time I got to Oregon, the storm had moved on, and I have enjoyed bright, sunny days along the Pacific coast as I meander down the coast. I spent one evening in Astoria, near the mouth of the Columbia River. I spent two days in Newport, where I enjoyed wide expanses of beach right in front of the hotel, fine seafood dinners, and beautiful .

null_zps7ee1c26c.jpg

null_zps11c47a8d.jpg

null_zpsc1e1d2c7.jpg

Thanks for the fabulous review-I'm cruising with my mom in a few weeks and it's great to see how much fun you have traveling with your dad

Oregonian here so love these pics. My grandparents actually used to be caretakers at that light house and my folks had their rehearsal dinner there back in '65 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Gina06- it was a ship excursion. I tried to price other helicopter rides and they were all about the same price as the ship one so I figured we might as well go with the ship. The one where you walk on the glacier is a bit more but I think really worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk