Can’t believe I didn’t

gamecockinnc

I am so mad at myself and to be honest peeved at my TA. We cruise a lot. And being platinum on CCL I cannot believe I was so stupid! I do a lot of my own research to select the cruise then have the TA I’ve used for 13 years book the cruise and give me cabin options. He knows our preferences. Balcony and not below a large public area. He also knows when we sail with our sons (19, 16 and almost 7) our middle son is very prone to sea sickness! And we prefer connecting cabins when we sail with our 3 sons.

We are cruising on the Magic over Christmas. When we booked I was distracted with 2 medical situations. My mother and my son but I trust our TA.

A few months later I finally could breathe and started getting caught up and looked up the cabins and was upset to see we are in 7210 and 7214 (they are connecting).

But they are the most forward cabins on deck 7! And I found a website that stated that cabin 7214 baloconnects to cabin 7218? Which isn’t even it’s connecting cabin! Cabin 7210 is. One benefit of booking a connecting cabin for a family of 5 is the additional space inside and out on the balconies.

My sister and I went on this exact cruise on November 11th and we were on deck 10 forward (10216 which btw is a great cabin). The first night was pretty rough and I never feel the motion. During the cruise I had the opportunity to speak to the family staying in cabins 7210 and 7214. I noticed their son had on a sea sickness ear patch but they said he/they were still impacted by the motion.

And cabin 7210 has a walkway overhead the balcony.

So I am venting!

I am mad at myself for not catching my TA’s goof up!

I am peeved that I asked him for over 4 months to try to change it and he didn’t. I was open to a suite and balcony. Suite and inside. And the cabins being separated. I kept checking the website but the ship was full.

I am peeved about the overhang and the balcony partition not opening.

BUT I AM MOST worried about our middle sons sea sickness. I haven’t said anything to him and won’t because I don’t want to introduce a mental element to his nausea.

He has an appointment with his PCP to get a prescription for ear patches. And I have plenty of Dramamine.

I’ve heard Ginger helps but does anyone have any recommendations for using Ginger?

And I own my part! I should know better and messed up big time. The ship is sold out online. I think I ruined our Christmas cruise!

Sorry to be so negative.

Any advice other than triple check any TA in the future and we should probably use a CCL vacation planner in the future.

And any advice to deal with sea sicknesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very sorry about your situation, but at this point in time, the best advice that I can give you is that you make lemonade out of lemons. You’re still going on a fantastic cruise over Christmas! How many people would envy you!

About your son’s seasickness, you’re doing the right thing by not psychologically triggering your son’s possible seasickness. Hey may be completely fine as long as the undesirable location of the stateroom is not occupying his thoughts.

A few years ago, we sailed to Alaska on Holland America and my sister selected the front most balcony stateroom on that sailing. Their daughter is prone to motion sickness, to the point that she can’t ride in the backseat of a car. Long story short, my sister didn’t mention it at all, and my niece didn’t get sick during the entire week, even when we hit rough seas for two days heading northbound west of Vancouver Island.

So here’s hoping that you have a wonderful cruise, and that what seems like a huge blunder now turns out to be nothing but unnecessary worrying.

About your TA, even though I place some blame on you for not rectifying the situation as soon as the erroneous booking was made, and knowing that you’re a seasoned Carnival cruiser, I would consider selecting a new one for future cruises. Part of the reason why people work with TA’s is exactly to avoid scenarios like the one you find yourself in today.

I've been on the Breeze (same class ship as Magic) and we had a forward cabin and felt little motion. Again alot depends on the conditions....Wind can cause swells. Also we cruised a couple years ago on the Royal Princess and had 2 forwarded facing cabins to the bow of the ship....It was a Eastern carribean cruise and we felt little if any motion. If you feel your son has a sensitivity for motion sickness...I would suggest you start the patch immediately as you begin your cruise to help offset any motion related issues

I've been on the Breeze (same class ship as Magic) and we had a forward cabin and felt little motion. Again alot depends on the conditions....Wind can cause swells. Also we cruised a couple years ago on the Royal Princess and had 2 forwarded facing cabins to the bow of the ship....It was a Eastern carribean cruise and we felt little if any motion. If you feel your son has a sensitivity for motion sickness...I would suggest you start the patch immediately as you begin your cruise to help offset any motion related issues

Thank you for taking the time to read my novel aka vent. As I said in November I was the Magic on the same itinerary. But on deck 10 in cabin 10216. So I was three decks up and 2-3 cabins back from where we will be over Christmas.

The first night was rough. We had strong winds and large waves and swells. I never get sea sick but I took dramamine that night. Granted being 3 decks up on 10 added to the motion.

We were on the Breeze over Christmas year before last on deck 9 forward but almost midship and he was pretty uncomfortable.

Last December we were midship on the Disney Fantasy and he was sea sick. This year we are starting the patch at the hotel the night before and taking plenty of back ups.

If it helps at all, I suffer from horrible motion sickness. On cruises I take a bonine twice a day and it helps for the most part (rough waves are still tough); BUT, we don’t limit ourselves to mid ship. I often end up with a room in the front or back and it doesn’t bother me. IMHO the mid ship recommendation for motion sickness is a bit over blown. I think you guys will be fine but def bring Dramamine.

Thank you so much! I hated to post such a negative post. I do own the problem but I think I need to seriously consider changing TA’s. Especially considering I gave him time to help me fix this regardless of the cost. We’ve had a rough time with our eldest sons health. And feel incredibly blessed he was able to return to college in August and so far given a clean bill of health.

My husband and I only want to spend this holiday with our three sons and are so grateful that the 5 of us will be together!

And we have 4 ports back to back so that will be land time. [emoji39]

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

The patch has its drawbacks. Know the problems and watch for them.

Once nausea sets in ginger, apples, crackers and raisins all help. So does being outside. All those foods are available onboard, but you might have to hunt them down. Apples, raisins (next to the oatmeal), crackers are all on the buffet at various times during the day. Might want to grab some when you see them. Ginger is found at the Sushi station (formerly the Taste Bar.)

Do any of the connecting balcony cabins have their balconies open to each other? On any ship? Always thought it was an either/or situation.

The patches may make him drowsy and dehydrated so make sure he drinks plenty of fluids. Some people cut one patch in half and put one half behind each ear. I don't know if that actually works better but they seem to think so.

You can buy ginger in all kinds of forms at the grocery store. Candied ginger works well and tastes yummy do it's like a treat.

Good luck!

If it helps at all, I suffer from horrible motion sickness. On cruises I take a bonine twice a day and it helps for the most part (rough waves are still tough); BUT, we don’t limit ourselves to mid ship. I often end up with a room in the front or back and it doesn’t bother me. IMHO the mid ship recommendation for motion sickness is a bit over blown. I think you guys will be fine but def bring Dramamine.

In a way, I agree with that statement. It's fine if you stay in your cabin during the whole cruise. Theater is in front of the ship, one dining room is aft, pools and buffet are on Lido Deck, etc. Most people spend little time in their cabins.

Instead of Dramamine (sp?) i suggest Bonnie or meclizine- you can get it as a RX from your doctor for cheaper. It is non-drowsy. I get motin sickness when I am not driving in a car. I took meclizine (a slightly higher dose than prescribed (2 pills instead of one) and was able to go on winding back roads through Big Bend State Park with absolutely no motion sickness!

Are you sure the balcony's don't connect? Have you tried reaching out and asking Carnival directly?

I hope you have a great cruise. Ginger, green apples, and crackers work for some people. I have to use meclizine, and I will start taking it tonight so I am ready to sail Sunday.

We had an all the way forward cabin on deck 9 on a similarly sized ship and barely felt any motion.

A few years ago we had an aft cabin on Deck 8 on the Valor. I don't recall noticing any motion. On the other hand the last cruise on the Pride we were close to midship and it was rough enough my husband rolled out of bed one night. So I suppose it also depends on how rough the seas are.

I get motion sick, but since I discovered meclizine I have never been sick (like someone mentioned above, I start taking the night or two before). I was on a RCL cruise to Bermuda a few years ago. It was VERY rough. They had vomit bags everywhere. I never was on a ship that tilted so much that it looked like people were walking sideways before. Thanks to the meclizine I was fine. The best thing is that I never notice any side effects. Good luck with your cruise! I am sure it will be great despite some of these issues.

Thank y’all for your replies, encouragement and advice! I have taken notes and screenshots of everything!

I would say last year on the Disney Fantasy was the worst for him. He slept a lot and we only had St. Thomas, Tortola and Castaway Cay. It seems the older he gets the worse its gotten but its not all of the time and he LOVES to sail or we wouldn’t go.

Again thank you.

And from our experience connecting cabins have had partitions that open in the balconies on Disney, Royal Caribbean and Carnival.

But lesson learned it seems this connecting cabin doesn’t have that option. For some odd reason cabins 7210 and 7214 connect but 7214 balcony partition connects to 7218? But maybe that information isn’t correct. I will post a review when we return.

Last effort would be to go to guest services when you get on board and beg for assistance in case anyone doesn't show. You may have to wait until after the first port but it is worth a shot. They may have people that cancel last minute and end up with an available room. My husband was in the Navy for 21 years and I get sea sick. He always thought it was funny but I ended up being okay as long as I remember my bonine twice a day and start taking it before I even get to the ship. Good luck!

You can buy OTC ginger pills in some drug stores, health food stores, Walmart even... they're great for preventing seasickness, but if it happens, the ginger candy as someone mentioned can be good, although some brands are pretty strong tasting (almost hot!). He can try sucking on the candy and spitting it out if it gets too spicy for him- whatever he got into his system by that point will help.

Also, get him ginger ale if his stomach gets whoopsey. Sipping it slowly can really help. It's even better room temperature.

I also recommend the seabands (acupressure wrist bands). I did fine on my last cruise even during rough seas but had very bad "land" sickness once home. The bands relieved it and I would think they could be used with our without other medications. (if the meclizine isn't enough or isn't taken soon enough).

You need Dramamine II the NON drowsy kind which uses Meclazine as its ingredient. You do not want the original Dramamine which will just put your child to sleep!

Meclazine is sold in every pharmacy here in the USA so you can buy it instead of the brand name Bonine which also contains meclazine as its ingredient.

You must give your child the pill BEFORE he feels ill . Don't wait until he is nauseous to take anything.

I only take 1 per day but DH t akes 1 morning and one at night. The first night on the ship before we set sail he takes 2 and he's been find since we upped the dosage from 1 a day to 2. Good luck! Some people are just prone to motion sickness and it is not just in their minds!

IMHO the mid ship recommendation for motion sickness is a bit over blown.

Without question. My wife is very prone to motion problems and when the ship is moving there is no location that gives relief. People bring up the teeter-totter analogy as some sort of proof but it doesn't work like that.