Caribbean Cruise in Nov?

Waywardspirit

Hi all,

First time cruiser here, and trying to get over my fear of boats so looking for a 5-7 day in the Caribbean. Considering booking in Nov through either Celebrity or Princess.

1. Is November too risky with hurricane season?

2. Will waters/weather still be warm enough for a swim?

3. What are your favorite ports in the Carribbean? Still deciding which cruise to take.

4. Any other good 5 day cruises you would recommend? I am in Texas and since I am not a book party person, chose not to go with Carnival.

Thanks so much!

1. Is November too risky with hurricane season? November is still Hurricane Season, after this year I would say anything could be possible!

2. Will waters/weather still be warm enough for a swim? Usually. I swam this past November in Costa Maya and Roatan. But I've been swimming in much of the rest of the Caribbean in November in other years.

3. What are your favorite ports in the Carribbean? Still deciding which cruise to take. Aruba, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Tortola and Curacao. Everyone is different on that one. I'm a snorkeler so I choose mostly ports with good snorkeling. For shopping, I'd have to choose Aruba.

4. Any other good 5 day cruises you would recommend? I am in Texas and since I am not a book party person, chose not to go with Carnival. What is a book party?

I know you said not-Carnival, but I believe the Vista will have 6-day Caribbean sailings next Nov. Carnivals reputation for being a party cruise is outdated. Any cruise is what you make of it. Not trying to preach but... I was on the Vista last year, didn't party at all, and had an amazing time. Such a beautiful, and huge, ship... there is always something to do. Karaoke, trivia, shows, outside movies, to name a few. And we didn't get the drink package. Carnival tends to have the best prices, so I'd hate for you to rule it out over what you've heard, esp if you can go on the Vista! (newest and biggest ccl ship... until the Horizon's debut this year.) I'm jealous it'll be in TX instead of NY!

November is a nice month.

Should be after hurricane season. I say should because our weather patterns have changed.

If your budget can handle it I would do a seven day cruise. More time to enjoy the cruise.

Hopefully you will like cruising so much you will sail all areas of the Caribbean (Eastern, Western, Southern).

Given a choice I prefer Southern but we all have our own preferences.

Princess and Celebrity are great choices.

I prefer Celebrity but in the past enjoyed nice cruises on both lines.

See if maybe you can find a seven day Southern Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico. Our of Florida you can usually find a 10 to 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the world of cruising.

Finally we cannot give recommendations for TA's on this board. Speak with a friend who you respect and who has cruised to see if they can recommend a Travel Agent whose emphasis is on Cruising.

Keith

Your ship (not boat) choices from Texas are very limited as are your ports .

All mass market cruise lines that have short weekend cruises could

end up with the party types .

Carnival having more 3 nite weekend cruises than any other cruise line is no different . Stick with the longer cruises and you will be pleasantly surprised at the bang for the buck also on CCL .

Nov. is great time to cruise weather wise with early Dec with even better prices .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not in November, but in early December the weather was really nice for beaches on a Western sailing.

It isn't just Carnival with a party attitude. In truth, I have noticed much more "party" on NCL since basically everyone gets free drinks.

On that note, any shorter cruise will generally have more of a "party" atmosphere than a 7+ day cruise. And on that note, I am sooo not a party person! Unless you actually think of book party... I am happy sitting on deck and well reading a book at all and night! I actually prefer Carnival over other mainstream US lines. In truth, comparing Carnival or saying RCCL and NCL it wasn't a "party" ship but did seem to have a lot more happening with the entertainment, but this also all based on who the Cruise Director is so...

Either way you will have fun if you want to! But don't rule out a line just because of what you have heard randomly from people!

Navigator does 5 day cruises to Cozumel and Casa Maya in Mexico, and is a bit more affordable than Oasis class ship, and is a beautiful ship to introduce you to cruising. BUT, I would strongly recommend the 9 day cruise on Navigator, which does Labadee, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Leaves out of Miami, and has one of the best itineraries you could ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not a party person, and I have maybe 5 drinks/year and we've sailed Carnival many times with no problems! And we've taken 4 November cruises as well. Only once did we have a tropical storm issue where we had to divert from St. Thomas and then when to Dominican Republic instead. We love cruising in November because yes, it's still hot and great for swimming and because there's fewer kids!

We have cruise in November many times and never had a problem with hurricanes. But with the way weather was crazy this year, who can predict what it will be like next November.

The islands were hot and humid most of the times.

Going out of Texas you are limited to a few ships and islands that you can go to. We prefer the southern islands like Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

Hi all,

First time cruiser here, and trying to get over my fear of boats so looking for a 5-7 day in the Caribbean. Considering booking in Nov through either Celebrity or Princess.

1. Is November too risky with hurricane season?

This past year not withstanding as it was exceptional with the hurricanes, hurricane season does not mean there will be hurricanes - it just means that conditions are most favorable between June and November for hurricanes to develop. I don't think that season is too risky to cruise and November is the end of that time period.

2. Will waters/weather still be warm enough for a swim?

Yes. The weather in the Caribbean is in the high 70's - 80's then. Pretty much like that all year.

3. What are your favorite ports in the Carribbean? Still deciding which cruise to take.

Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Barbados, St.Kitts, Cozumel, St. Martin.

4. Any other good 5 day cruises you would recommend? I am in Texas and since I am not a book party person, chose not to go with Carnival.

Honestly the only 5-night cruise we've taken was to Bermuda a number of years ago where that is the only port of call with an overnight stay. Also most of the islands mentioned above would be on 7-night itineraries and most would depart from San Juan. But as mentioned, RCI has a 5-night and the 9-night from Miami that is a Southern Caribbean itinerary, which we have done and was one of our favorites. As referenced by the islands listed, the Southern Caribbean is one of our favorite locations.

Thanks so much!

See my comments above.

My experience is that for your first cruise, the line, duration, and cabin choice is more important than the ports. And I would suggest a mix of port days and sea days. To see what YOU like best, or what mix (more port or more sea).

You haven't been to any, so are not jaded like many times cruisers. And you are not that long in any one port.

November is great for cruising and swimming. It will be hot. My favorite ports are Puerto Rico and St. Martin. If you're leaving from Texas the Western Caribbean would be good for you. We enjoyed Belize at the Mayan ruins, and Cozumel is very good. Key West is good too. Jamaica is beautiful, but the port at Falmouth leaves a lot to be desired. Ocho Rios or Montego Bay would be better.

Our 7-day cruise out of San Juan in January on Carnival was probably the best vacation ever. You've not cruised Carnival before, so your idea that they are a "party" cruiseline is based on rumors. Like one other person said, it's what you make of it. I'm 49 and my husband is 59. Our cruise was romantic and quiet - except for the nights we led the crowd at the Piano Bar! LOL!

The water was so warm. We were swimming in the ocean in the middle of January. I loved Barbados and St Kitts. Hope to do this itin again!

My first cruise was for a friends wedding- a three day cruise (party cruise) didn't mind the drunks, they were entertaining (I am a friend of Bill W-27 years now) so I don't drink, my idea of a party, is sitting next to my sweet DH, talking with people we meet on cruises-

Second cruise-7 day- to Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This was our honeymoon (and we are old folks) ;), so our excursions were laid back, and you know I still keep in touch with a woman I met on that ship, we email each other every other day-

friends for life now.

Now we are looking forward to our 13th cruise-all with Carnival. Don't be afraid of the party-be afraid you might miss out in life. There were so many things that I should have tried, (took my bad attitude 20 years to get to Disney)-

my suggestion-book a 5-7 day cruise, not during holidays, research your ports-and don't book an interior and you will be amazed-

• 1 month later...