Hygiene

FangedRose

I'm amazed at how many people would rather let their steward think they sleep commando than let the steward touch their clothing.

My grandma was convinced that her rather posh neighbours were 'all furcoat and no knickers' because she never saw any underwear on the washing line.

For starters, all the cabin stewards and stewardesses wear gloves or hadn't you noticed? Secondly, I've never read such unadulterated rubbish. If everybody stopped worrying about germs all the time, we would all be a lot healthier. All this bacterial wipes, bacterial spray in bathrooms and kitchens stops your immune system being able to cope with any germs at all. That's why kids these days have all these allergies, asthma etc. etc. Nobody at my school had allergies or asthma. A nightdress in a drawer is not going to give anybody anything.

I'm sure the cabin stewards are not in the slightest bit bothered whether people sleep commando or not. I've noticed a few of my neighbours don't put their underwear on the line to dry I assume they like privacy not that they don't wear any!!! I put all mine out for all to see, I'm not bothered.

For starters, all the cabin stewards and stewardesses wear gloves or hadn't you noticed? Secondly, I've never read such unadulterated rubbish. If everybody stopped worrying about germs all the time, we would all be a lot healthier. All this bacterial wipes, bacterial spray in bathrooms and kitchens stops your immune system being able to cope with any germs at all. That's why kids these days have all these allergies, asthma etc. etc. Nobody at my school had allergies or asthma. A nightdress in a drawer is not going to give anybody anything.

Soiled clothing will certainly give you something. That's why we wash clothing, it's the bacteria that makes them smell. I certainly wouldn't want to apply eye make up or lipstick that's been in contact with a surface that's had other people's dirty clothing on.

My dad, who would be 86 now, and my husband who would be 66 both had asthma. I certainly remember class mates with hayfever.

Well I know why we wash clothing, but putting a nightie or pyjamas in a drawer on the ship is not going to give anybody any disease unless of course you have a disease, in which case, you wouldn't be letting the steward handle it either? And when would you put your mascara on a surface that might have had dirty clothes on it? You must be a nervous wreck about germs?

So I have a question. do you not unpack into drawers from your suitcases? Because heaven knows what germs are in the drawers that might get on to your clothes? Into your underwear?

Edited by jeanlyon

I don't think I'd put make up or medicine down in direct contact with any surface- that's why both things come in protective cases. My eyeliner case might touch the drawer but my eyeliner itself won't. Overall I think I'd be more worried about things like door handles and telephones that are known to harbour germs than sweaty nighties in drawers. Not that I do worry about these things- not one of the 'wipe my whole cabin down before I touch anything' brigade lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I don't think I'd put make up or medicine down in direct contact with any surface- that's why both things come in protective cases. My eyeliner case might touch the drawer but my eyeliner itself won't. Overall I think I'd be more worried about things like door handles and telephones that are known to harbour germs than sweaty nighties in drawers. Not that I do worry about these things- not one of the 'wipe my whole cabin down before I touch anything' brigade lol.

Your fingers touch the case. Your fingers then apply the make up. I certainly have to hold my eyelashes down when applying eye liner. I'm pretty sure the cases are not airtight anyway, that's why they go off and dry up.

Your fingers touch the case. Your fingers then apply the make up. I certainly have to hold my eyelashes down when applying eye liner. I'm pretty sure the cases are not airtight anyway, that's why they go off and dry up.
Maybe, I guess I'm just not as bothered about it. I go to the gym, so if I'm going to catch anything it'll probably be from all the sweaty grossness in there!

Well I know why we wash clothing, but putting a nightie or pyjamas in a drawer on the ship is not going to give anybody any disease unless of course you have a disease, in which case, you wouldn't be letting the steward handle it either? And when would you put your mascara on a surface that might have had dirty clothes on it? You must be a nervous wreck about germs?

So I have a question. do you not unpack into drawers from your suitcases? Because heaven knows what germs are in the drawers that might get on to your clothes? Into your underwear?

No I use packing cubes. Quicker and easier, and yes, more hygienic. Anyway I don't put my clothing into my mouth or eyes, as I do with meds and makeup. I am not obsessed with germs, just careful with what goes into my mouth or near my eyes.

Well, they often arrange nighties artistically at turn-down, so doubt they are bothered about touching it!

That's a new one on me, I think that could be up for the Turner Prize this year :')

Has anyone else encountered stewards who artistically arrange nighties?

Perhaps one might fill my PJ's with towels and draw a face on the wine bucket and prop it up for when I stagger back to the cabin ;p;p;p

Tom Baker- your comment made me laugh so much!

Fangedrose- life is too short to obsess about germs and worry about where people place their nightwear in cabins!

The stewards must dread you coming on board!( only joking!)

Eve

Edited by Eveglos
pressed wrong keys

I’m just amazed that people wear nightwear more than once!

I don’t wear anything in bed, so it doesn’t apply to me, but if I did I would want it fresh. I wouldn't wear underwear more than once, so I certainly wouldn’t wear nightwear more than once either.

All this worry and angst over the remote possibility of getting germs from a drawer is quite amusing and more fun than tipping threads. If there are one or two germs waiting to get me in a drawer then how many millions are waiting for me in the bed? From now on I will be taking a rope and sleep hanging over that :')

I’m just amazed that people wear nightwear more than once!

I don’t wear anything in bed, so it doesn’t apply to me, but if I did I would want it fresh. I wouldn't wear underwear more than once, so I certainly wouldn’t wear nightwear more than once either.

The longest I've worn nightwear is for two weeks without changing:)

PS this thread is such fun!

Edited by ohnonotmeagain
PS

What! Going to work, shopping and everything? Jeremy Kyle did an episode which included young people going down the shops in pyjamas and slippers but I did not think these people also went on cruises.

Lol John

Please tell me that you then put them in a closed drawer to fester for another week😰😰