insurance

griffster

hi to all

my hubby and i have a cruise booked for the fjords next june (2019). i booked and paid the deposit on the 2 feb this year (2018). my question is, that if i do not get our insurance untill later, will it effect our in any way, by that, i mean if we had to claim for anything. ( god forbid we dont ). thanks. lynn.

You're only covered for anything that happens after you buy the insurance. Shouldn't have any issues with claiming if anything goes wrong on the cruise, It's just if anything happens between now and the cruise (Such as someone getting ill or a family emergency means you have to cancel) you won't be able to buy insurance and then claim.

You really should buy insurance the moment you book the cruise, as , has been said, you are not covered for anything that might happen in the meantime. Not sure what benefit there is to be had in not buying insurance immediately, unless the deposit is relatively small and would not be covered by the excess charge of the policy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

You really should buy insurance the moment you book the cruise, as , has been said, you are not covered for anything that might happen in the meantime. Not sure what benefit there is to be had in not buying insurance immediately, unless the deposit is relatively small and would not be covered by the excess charge of the policy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Like in the case of deposits of just £50 per person when booked on board? I have often thought that these low deposits make it very very easy to cancel and wonder how many do when it comes to paying the balance.

I wait until I have paid the balance to get insurance as once when I had insurance early I had minor surgery so told the insurance company who charged me extra to add the condition and to change the policy.

If you had waited you may have needed to tell them about the op anyway and still paid extra.

As soon as you book get insurance. No one knows what is around the corner. Friends booked three holidays for this summer, first one was back in May. Their annual cover had expired so they decided to wait until closer to May.

Unfortunately the husband died unexpectedly in March. Thousands of pounds lost which his wife could now do with.

Most insurance companies will only quote once you're within 12 months of sail date, although regularly updated annual policies normally will give you cover if you do need to claim for a cruise more than 12 months away.

I am struggling to obtain insurance for a cruise booked last month for October 2019,ie over 12 months away...any ideas?

I have found the earliest I could buy insurance was 13 months prior. Up till then you will have to hope you don't have to cancel, which is the only possibility that will incur loss of deposit. As it is usually only a small additional cost, I opt for no excess too.

I am struggling to obtain insurance for a cruise booked last month for October 2019,ie over 12 months away...any ideas?

I have just renewed our annual travel insurance with Insure & Go. We always have to ring them to renew because of existing health issues so I mentioned that we have a cruise booked for November 2019 and the person I spoke to said that it would be covered until the end of the renewed policy.

You can buy Annual Travel Insurance within chosen geographical limits (which may be enlarged mid term in most cases), then renew as required to cover your booked cruise. This has the advantage of covering any short UK breaks mid term, you must renew early for continuous cover in the period after the first twelve months.

You could wait until your cruise is just under twelve months away, then obtain a single trip policy. In the earlier period i.e. prior to obtaining the insurance you need to look at the financial risks. This is often the "deposit only" but could rise a bit as time goes passes. I should not pay off a cruise 100% early as in this latter scenario a cancellation will mean you need to get your money back which can be avoided by only paying the deposit. You should get your money back if risk was, deposit only but I feel they will not rush to refund you.

Regards John

At the moment only your deposit should be at risk, so for such a small amount self insure and buy in October.

We get annual travel insurance and renew on day it expires. So we are always covered. Our annual insurance policy is cheaper than the single trip quote we were given for our Antarctic trip. This is a no brainer for us as we are doing 3 cruises a year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums