Coral Princess WiFi access point locations.

masterty

I know most who read this do not remove their phone's from the cabins safe for the entire trip. This post is not intended to deliver you any viable information. However to the others who enjoy crushing candy or surfing the net on those long sea days then keep reading. I have walked the halls of the Coral Princess to map out AP locations so you would not have to. While others were doing hot laps on the promenade deck I was sweating in the bowels of this steel giant. This map does not ensure signal strength in each cabin. It does not ensure lightning fast satellite data speeds. It does not provide anything except the locations where a blue light shining down from the ceilings WiFi access points reside. Use it as another tool in your quiver should high signal strength be required on your voyage. You can not argue phones on ships are here to stay. I snapped this photo with my phone upon entering the Princess Theater. There were many more phones visible from this location but my lens was just not wide enough.

phones_0.jpg

That said. If you wish to know how close or far away your cabin is from a WiFi access point then check out this .pdf file.

Coral Princess WiFi Locations

Also if anyone is interested in the Panama Patters in 2018 Here you go.

Coral Princess Panama FLL to SFO 15 day 2018

Enjoy!

Edited by masterty

wow you did a lot of leg work. Thanks, I am on my iPhone and ipad a lot posting a family blog during my cruise. Now you just need to do the same for the rest of the ships. Coral looks like it has pretty good coverage except the one deck. Have a great day

Every public space I visited had great WiFi coverage. It is only once your inside your cabin and close the door do you see a significant drop in signal strength to the access point. Each cabin acts as a sort of faraday cage blocking radio waves.

Another thing to understand is that 95% of pax beleive better WiFi signal means they will get better internet speeds. Does not work that way. Of course you need good local area network speeds to have good internet speeds. But you will never get internet speeds faster than the local area network parameters allow. Your WiFi connection will likely be good most everywhere and fast. However it is the internet bandwidth within your WiFi connection that provide the speeds you experience when accessing the world wide web. I conducted several speed tests to the www. with uploads consistent in the 1.5-2.3MB range. Downloads were pathetic. Every download speed test conducted using both google and speedtest.net were 0.01MB to 0.03MB download. These speeds were the same on both a "surf" account and "premier" account. Middle of the night or middle of the day did not seem to change the speeds I recorded. YMMV.

• 2 months later...
Every public space I visited had great WiFi coverage. It is only once your inside your cabin and close the door do you see a significant drop in signal strength to the access point. Each cabin acts as a sort of faraday cage blocking radio waves.

Another thing to understand is that 95% of pax beleive better WiFi signal means they will get better internet speeds. Does not work that way. Of course you need good local area network speeds to have good internet speeds. But you will never get internet speeds faster than the local area network parameters allow. Your WiFi connection will likely be good most everywhere and fast. However it is the internet bandwidth within your WiFi connection that provide the speeds you experience when accessing the world wide web. I conducted several speed tests to the www. with uploads consistent in the 1.5-2.3MB range. Downloads were pathetic. Every download speed test conducted using both google and speedtest.net were 0.01MB to 0.03MB download. These speeds were the same on both a "surf" account and "premier" account. Middle of the night or middle of the day did not seem to change the speeds I recorded. YMMV.

Nice to see a repeater right at the door of my cabin. We always know the speed will be poor but get tired of being dropped so the repeater location should be helpful. As for the speed tests... Bleh. I know a lot of folks have better connections than I have but I can get about 180 Mbps down at my desktop. Of course I tend to use my laptop most of the time these days so don't get that kind of speed as it's connected via WiFi but still get 50+ Mbps down. 0.01 - 0.03 is pretty sad. Good thing I don't really care about the speed as I just check email and care more about the intranet than the Internet when cruising.

Nice to see a repeater right at the door of my cabin. We always know the speed will be poor but get tired of being dropped so the repeater location should be helpful. As for the speed tests... Bleh. I know a lot of folks have better connections than I have but I can get about 180 Mbps down at my desktop. Of course I tend to use my laptop most of the time these days so don't get that kind of speed as it's connected via WiFi but still get 50+ Mbps down. 0.01 - 0.03 is pretty sad. Good thing I don't really care about the speed as I just check email and care more about the intranet than the Internet when cruising.

I saw the same thing with the room we are in for 60 days in the fall.