Question regarding bringing wine along...

Mark_K

At embarkation can I check in, drop off my bags, etc. in the cabin, leave the ship, and go to a store to buy some wine to bring on board? Or do I have to have it with me when I first check in?

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can definitely drop your checked bags, not check in, and make a shopping run. On our last Princess cruise, we were advised that our cabin wouldn't be ready until...either 1:00 or 1:30 (not sure which), so I wouldn't count on being able to drop stuff in your cabin. Another vote against checking in, boarding, and then going out again...I don't know if it is allowed, but it would be a pain.

I'd drop the checked bags and go run errands taking only the minimal carry on stuff you need, then come back and check in.

Yes, you can check in and then leave the ship to go back into the surrounding area. Your ability to do this in an effective manner would be truly Port dependent as the closest shopping can be a long way off in some ports. Have seen people do it in FLL and you could do it for example in Vancouver where a state liquor store is near the dock.

Probably yes, but a lot depends on what port you are talking about. A port like pier 2, Ft. Lauderdale it would be easy to do as you can walk to the wine store. If it is pier 21, Ft. Lauderdale would not be so easy. The taxi fares $10 each way would make it costly. If it is Copenhagen for example what you propose would be difficult.

Vancouver, I assume Canada Place.

Big difference between Vancouver and the US port(s) the other responses were assuming.

When you check in at Vancouver you go through immigration and customs to return to the USA immediately upon boarding. If you leave the ship before sailaway you would have to be processed as re-entering Canada, then go through the entire process again to get back on the ship. I doubt you would be allowed to leave in the first place. As some have suggested, drop your bags but do not check in, then head out for your final purchases.

Even though the stateroom is not ready until 1 PM, you can still drop off your carryon luggage in the room. We have done it several times.

Canada is an unusual country in that the US Immigration is present at the pier (or airport) before you embark to leave Canada. They process you through US immigration so that when you arrive in the US you simply proceed with your journey without any more government interaction.

If the OP is in Vancouver, they need to buy the wine before going through the check in process.

Suggestion: If you are coming in the day before, (or a few days before), consider purchasing your wine before embarkation day. Bring it along when you board (go through customs, go through Princess boarding procedure). Simplify your day. You will be glad you did!

For the first time ever, in 15-20 cruises, we’re flying in the day of embarkation. I did book the flights through Princess, for whatever good that may do.

Anyway, I think I’ll take the good advice of everyone and go get the wine before checking in. Now, I just have to decide whether to get 2 bottles or get more and pay the $15 per.